The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

It's a mouse, It's a MOUSE!

SHMD

I am suddenly reminded of a film called The Moneypit. I think Tom Hanks starred in it......

In 'The Money Pit',(an extremely funny film!) the overall state, both internal and external, of the structure was the problem...

In this case it was a simple case of human haunting (18th century and dead) and critter invasions, so it is perhaps more like something out of a Stephen King novel? Or maybe Beetlejuice at a pinch. I feel sure a Catholic priest would have been able to help the new owners if they had been at all sensitive.

I suppose the common thread here is that some unsuspecting innocent inherited the problem (in this case quite minor). There are things you just cannot say if you are trying to sell a house and wish to succeed.

(In American Real Estate Law, the declaration statement does not require an admission of 'snakes occupying the basement' or 'ghosts resident in the grounds'...

as these things simply do not and cannot possibly happen in America.)

Just for a tip, Mars bar works really well as bait and is nice and sticky too.

When I was little there was a field mouse came into the kitchen. Mum of course shrieked, Dad was summoned and lay in wait for the mouse beside the fridge, armed with an empty glass lemonade bottle. Sure enough, the mouse eventually came out from under the fridge, was walloped over the head with the blunt end of the bottle and dispatched. Cue Mum "You didn't have to kill it!".

Dad now shoots rats on the patio and garden furniture with an air rifle from the bedroom window. To my amazement, his aim has been pretty good to date and there are no bullet (pellet) holes in the garden furniture!

• 1 month later...

The Little B***********Ds are getting desperate! they chewed a hole through the outside door of the conservatory last night!! through 1/2 inch of admittedly pre war wood I've had to bodge it with a thick plank to keep more out, more poison laid in there too.

The Q

They are trying to chew their way through the front door frame too, I've had to pile bricks in their way for the moment!

Living. as we do, in a small country town and keeping chickens, we're inevitably visited by rodents fairly regularly. We've got five (yes, five) house cats so indoors is generally not a problem unless numbers are exceptionally high, as they are occasionally, but the external laundry room, sheds and so on can develop large populations.

A couple of years ago, the laundry developed a strong smell of hot electricity. I had a thorough sniff around and eventually pinpointed the source as being the rather elderly and unreliable washing machine. Taking the back off and removing a couple of covers I found a pair of exposed, mains voltage terminals. Attached to the live terminal was the rear end of a large mouse and attached to the neutral was the very surprised looking front end of the same mouse. Of the middle of the mouse there was no sign apart from some large scorch marks on surrounding components where the poor little blighter had acted as a fuse.

Aside from electrical booby traps, I prefer to catch and release rather than resorting to chemical warfare, although sheer numbers can leave no option. Old plastic fruit juice bottles with a few bacon rinds or a lump of stale cake work well. We do have to try and keep numbers in check though because large populations attract snakes and, this being Western Australia, they tend to be extravagantly venomous and too risky to have around.

Indoors, in spite of the cats, we've had skinks, geckoes, at least one centipede almost a foot long (venomous, naturally) and, of course, the occasional large spider. Large meaning big enough that, when trapping them under a traditional British pint mug, it's necessary to use a finger to carefully tuck all eight feet in to avoid breaking their legs.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived