O gauge coach windows

George G

All,

I'm scratch building a BR class 307 out of sheet metal but I've hit a problem. What would be the easiest way to cut out the holes for the windows?

I'm using 0.5mm thick steel.

I though about cutting them out with a saw which would be very time consuming. I'm now looking at punching them out with a metal hole punch, but this seems to be an expensive option as the equipment isn't cheap.

Can anyone tell me the best method to use and what tools are required?

George

Half mil steel is quite thick and would require expensive dies to cut through that effectively, and you'll have to make 4 of them. Unless you plan to produce and sell them it could prove quite costly, or you would have to REALLY want one.

Cutting them by hand would be incredibly laborious and would only cost a pack of blades. What would be much easier (I think) would be to modify a BR Suburban coach, but I'm not absolutely sure of the window size and positions matching exactly.

Good luck though.

• RMweb Gold

The late Peter Korisson made himself a small steel jig which consisted of four holes for the corners of a coach window which meant only placing the jig once for each window. The straigh bits were then fretted out. This only works if the windows are all the same size.

Don

I should consider getting them laser cut, or better, water-jet cut - if you were able to draw them out in any CAD package capable of exporting a DXF file. You'd then get a really nice, uniform, and repeatable job. A company called Sciss does cutting, and is used to dealing with small stuff for model engineers, as well as commercial stuff.

Hope it's useful

What is the cheapest material to build the coach from? I would like the same type of material that Ace Trains use to build their coaches. I want to punch out the windows using a square hole punch, then i'm going to file the rounded edges of the windows. I don't have room for a jig, and I don't want to use a cnc machine.

• 4 months later...

What is the cheapest material to build the coach from? I would like the same type of material that Ace Trains use to build their coaches. I want to punch out the windows using a square hole punch, then i'm going to file the rounded edges of the windows. I don't have room for a jig, and I don't want to use a cnc machine.

Judging from what Ace says on its website, here:

http://www.acetrainslondon.com/archivecoaches.html

they appear to use painted tin.

" What is the cheapest material to build from? " is a rather different question.  It's probably laminated cardboard, plywood or MDF, assuming you want something workable that stands a chance of doing the job.  But why not go the plasticard and extruded plastic section route?

If you use a square punch how are you going to round the corner there will be no metal to file.

Definitely investigate laser cutting.  Effortless, accurate and cheaper than you might think.

If you insist on cutting the windows yourself, consider going to sheet aluminium for easier working.

Archived