Bachmann D11/2 review by Tony Wright

Andy Y

Yes I did buy the Big Four in Colour 1935-50 some time ago and was initially a bit surprised by the poor reproduction, leaving a lot of guesswork. My own experience of colour film was 8asa Kodachrome then 25asa KodachromeII and Agfacolor the latter was more brown/warm than Kodak.

Given that, I think my memories of the 50s, 60s and the pics in books and some old movie clips will give me a fighting chance of getting the atmosphere, and if in doubt, just reduce saturation!

Oddly it's the colour of brake-dust ballast and hardened coal-ash 'ballast' around depots, and slightly grimy carriages with leather upholstery and gas-lamps I remember best from, say, 1955-59. And the men who clearly were just doing a day's work and didn't want you in the way. I did get the odd cab ride though, when I was about 12yrs old on.

I might go for a darkish wartime brown look for the Gresleys behind the D11/2... easier to achieve from the BR colour than the bright teak tones.

Just out of interest, did Gresley and Thompson suburban rakes ever get inter-mixed? I never did manage to buy the BR Thompson Brake 3rd, but got the 3rd and composite. I have 2 Gresley brake 3rds and the 3rd and composite all lined up regardless. Tempted to get out my weathered D11/1... !

Hi Rob,

I've got the softback book steam Memories Scarborough 1950's-1960's  where there are quite a few photos at Scarborough of trains arriving/departing from Whitby & Hull where the stock was a real mix of suburban's. Definitely Gresley  & Thompson in there and could be possibly Mk1's. I think it all depends on the region you're looking at, North Eastern & Scottish suburban trains would have a mix of whatever they had available whereas Eastern (Kings Cross) & some Edinburgh/Glasgow's used dedicated rakes.

Ian 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Rob, just to give a bit more information on the inter-mixing of non-gangwayed coaching stock. I've got out some old post-card size photo's of Bridlington in the late '40's early '50's. The first one has a D20 and a Thompson BT, B.R. Mk1 CL, Gresley T, Thompson BT, Thompson T, and a Gresley CL. In another view you have a GCR BC, two NER thirds, Gresley CL, Thompson third, GNR BCL and some more NER thirds.

So, yes, just about any non-gangwayed coaches would get used, and you can certainly mix-up the Gresley and Thompson coaches.

Am looking forward to what you are going to be doing with the D11/2 and the coaches.

All the best,

Market65.

Now if only that D11 would arrive!    I'm thinking of a single-line pic and must check 62683 Hobbie Elliot's shed and likely diagrams for 1949. Coastal Fife?  or up near Elgin or around those long-lost lines..?

edit;  Haymarket... I suppose that gives some choices, but not likely up in the north-east. I'm sure W J V Anderson would have found a spectacular low-sun location. 

The D11/2 was posted on 20 May for NZ not yet recorded as arrived by NZ Post, so next week is likely, unless as occasionally happens, a model arrives from the UK in three days .... always a thrill to be able to post pics before UK buyers of certain models, like the Heljan Garratts, which got from Liverpool to my door in 4 days.

In the meantime I am doing a series of portraits of BR Standards, Class 5, 4MT tank, and 9F., all nice models, and unlikely to be cheap in future with all that hand-applied detail.

Rob

Rob,

Did you find yourself a copy of 'The Big Four in Colour 1935 -50'? You can actually see what you are asking about in there, in colour photos.

I found on the web public domain this pic of an early BR green D11/2 and it doesn't exactly blind you with colour.

It does show that running plates were not always dead-straight, too.

post-7929-0-06840400-1400965239.jpg

also dug out my lovely D11/1 62663 'Prince Albert', some editing liberties taken with lower front frame details.  My own weathering, mostly matt acrylic wash, a touch of rust.

post-7929-0-06626700-1400965820.jpg

Of course some are lucky enough? to have an NRM Great Central version, one of which I bought today, and now have the more pressing problem of finding GC coaches to go with it...  or at least one coach, any coach, which would suit the era.

All of which leads me to the question, are the NRM colours the same as a particular period of GCR period running?   It's a minefield pre-and-post-WW1 for most railways, unless the GWR was unusual in this respect.

Are there any RTR coaches which might suit? Even if they are simply 'close', so I might (gasp, choke) photo-edit them into submission...

I have edited around this pic just above the front bogie mostly. But the Edwardian Age is nicely evident in the colours.

Clear going mad with Robinson D11-itis here. But it is a lot of fun.

post-7929-0-30431600-1401057845.jpg

It does show that running plates were not always dead-straight, too.

attachicon.gifD11_COLOUR_GREEN_Haymarket_r800.jpg

I presume you're referring to the slight bend down towards the buffer beam. If so, to paraphrase "That's not a bent footplate, these are bent footplates!":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Motherwell_Locomotive_Depot_Caledonian_%2760%27_class_4-6-0_geograph-2741275-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg#file

http://travelandmixpix.smugmug.com/keyword/lms%20compound/i-sLhG8rT/A

and judging by the exhaust, both in service. From photographs I've seen, this was a weakness of both of these classes.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Rob, regarding the RTR GCR carriage question. The only models that are vaguely like GCR carriages are the old Tri-ang 'shortie' clerestory GWR non-corridors. There are modellers who  have kit-bashed them into passable representations of Great Central non-corridor carriages. Apart from that, as I think has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, there is, unfrotunately, nothing else available. I hope that this is of some help. Sorry that it is a largely negative reply.

All the best,

Market65.

Not at all negative, and I just happen to have some of the GWR clerestories which I bought s/h recently for my GWR Star photos. I sold the Star but kept a couple of the carriages.

Having looked at pics of GC stock the GWR versions might look reasonable, brown paint brush work around windows, . Won't be up to Larry Goddard standard though. There are other old GW carriages which at a glance look like the larger GC carrriages too, but only at a glance. 

Thanks,

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Not at all negative, and I just happen to have some of the GWR clerestories which I bought s/h recently for my GWR Star photos. I sold the Star but kept a couple of the carriages.

Having looked at pics of GC stock the GWR versions might look reasonable, brown paint brush work around windows, . Won't be up to Larry Goddard standard though. There are other old GW carriages which at a glance look like the larger GC carrriages too, but only at a glance. 

Thanks,

Rob

Hi, Rob, I,m glad that you have some of those models, for they are your best bet overall for RTR Great Central carriages. I was just a little concerned about the lack of something better RTR for these type of carriages. Certainly it would be great, if one day, we could have these carriages made available RTR.

I do look forward to seeing what you will be producing in the image/s to come - I'm sure that it will be something to savour.

All the best,

Market65.

Thanks Market65,

I'm going mad waiting for my colourful older D11s to arrive by air, so photographed the other side of my D11/1 62663 'Prince Albert' in its unlined BR black days, a proud and beautiful engine. 

Well loaded with good coal, express lamps on, who needs these fancy B17s and other 3-cylinder nonsense to make a mile-a-minute average from Marylebone to Sheffield? 

Definitive steam locomotive. Well-modelled. Slightly edited, and the superb proportions and quality modelling are evident, even if the weathering is basic. Makes an interesting comparison with Bachmann's LMS Compound 4-4-0. They definitely were the days when many enginemen were proud and skilful. Or maybe I romanticise it a bit! I hope those headlamps aren't wrong for GC in BR days...

post-7929-0-11795700-1401076129.jpg

Rob

Hi, Rob, I,m glad that you have some of those models, for they are your best bet overall for RTR Great Central carriages. I was just a little concerned about the lack of something better RTR for these type of carriages. Certainly it would be great, if one day, we could have these carriages made available RTR.

I do look forward to seeing what you will be producing in the image/s to come - I'm sure that it will be something to savour.

All the best,

Market65.

Two weeks have passed since Royal Mail recorded the package with the D11 in BR green as being ready for delivery to NZ (20 May) but NZ Post has no record of it arriving.... sent as 'International Signed-for'  presumably air, the experienced Ebay seller is concerned about the delay too. He charged £17 for air post...

Just hopeful of arrival, otherwise it will have to go through Ebay dispute resolution and probably end up being Royal Mail's 'fault'.  But a few days left before it gets to that, 3-4 weeks is not unheard of for Royal Mail 2nd class Air to NZ according the NZ Post.  Usually its 3-12 days.  Sigh.

I have bought four other items from such as Hattons and another Ebay seller since 20 May and their arrival will give an idea of whether it is general air-freight congestion or error by Royal Mail or a bit of both.  98% of the many parcels I receive from the UK arrive in NZ in between 5 and 12 days. Some are 3-4 weeks, without explanation. Some are opened by customs but that only adds 1-3 days.

So no D11 portraits yet. Sorry.

edit to above; ... YES!!! parcel arrived in NZ 11.45am today, after delivery 'forwarded to NZ agency' by Royal Mail (scanned on 20 May,) inside the longer end of expected delivery duration at 15 days, but hey..., ! Should have it on Friday.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Now there's an idea for a photo....

Rob,

On the topic of GC coaches, I think you are stuck with brass kit building. Jidenco, later Falcon did some 60ft stock and also the Barnums. One of the latter came up on Ebay a few days ago and I'm afraid I stopped watching when it passed the £40 mark. Some of the Jidenco examples were also etched back to front in error, making them all but useless, so caveat emptor as they say!

John.

• RMweb Gold

edit to above; ... YES!!! parcel arrived in NZ 11.45am today, after delivery 'forwarded to NZ agency' by Royal Mail (scanned on 20 May,) inside the longer end of expected delivery duration at 15 days, but hey..., ! Should have it on Friday.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Now there's an idea for a photo....

Hi, Rob. I am glad that the wait is very nearly over. I wonder what really happened to draw things out like that. Anyway, it should not be long before you can get started on making an image or two. Very pleased that the parcel has made it to NZ.

All the best,

Market65.

I have the mint, undamaged, rather attractive model early BR green D11/2 in my hands now, and some Gresley and Thompson carriages, even the gloomy winter light is very like Scotland... but it will be a few days for photos.

Cheers,

Rob

well, here it is un-modified by details and extra bits, a very attractive model and it wouldn't have remained as clean as this for long in 1949 fresh out of the paintshop. Further photos are likely soon.

Cheers, Rob

post-7929-0-74571900-1402004163.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Rob, you should be a salesman for Bachmann!  Your lovely pictures of these fine machines started me off on looking at Hatton's site to see which ones they still have for sale, although the real thing never came near the location of my layout.  Luckily just managed to restrain myself from pressing the 'buy' button and resolved to be patient in anticipation of Hornby's promised D16/3, which will be slightly more 'suitable'.

Have to say I have one of these green beauties on its way to me. Pulled the trigger on eBay once I heard the LNER green version had turned black.

Yes, it is a curious thing the D11-itis, especially the green versions!

It occurs to me every time I come to this thread that Tony Wright isn't overly fond of digitally-added steam or exhaust effects (adamant dislike actually) and this thread was an Andy Y intro to his review so I will continue it in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53401-Bachmann-announce-d112/page-10&do=findComment&comment=1474769

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Somewhat strange, given the popularity of the transition era, that we still don't have a lined black version, but I guess there's no shortage of other stuff to buy.

Archived