Bachmann D11/2 review by Tony Wright

Andy Y

Somewhat strange, given the popularity of the transition era, that we still don't have a lined black version.

There's already 62677 in BR lined black, and 62682 in BR lined black announced for later this year.

Any idea of the price? I'm presuming LNER green...?

The thread about it's here (was a another thread in this forum but that's been locked now): http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88354-model-rail-announces-marne/?p=1527599

£146.95, a bit less if your a model rail subscriber. I would have prefered a standard model rather than an limited special edition, but I'll probably still get one. It's LNER and has a link to WW1, which I have an interest in. I'll wait and see how it turns out first though. 

edit: grammar and originally put the price as £149

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Its GBP 146.95, 132.95 if you are a Model Rail subscriber to Model Rail.

Mark in OZ

A hefty incentive for becoming a subscriber....£14 discount. Otherwise in line with current Bachmann upward trend.Sorry but we should not be surprised.

A hefty incentive for becoming a subscriber....£14 discount. Otherwise in line with current Bachmann upward trend.Sorry but we should not be surprised.

That's why I would have preferred it as a standard release, if it were it would have been significantly less (around £30). As I say I'll still look at getting one, just wish I didn't have to pay the limited edition premium.

• RMweb Gold

That's why I would have preferred it as a standard release, if it were it would have been significantly less (around £30). As I say I'll still look at getting one, just wish I didn't have to pay the limited edition premium.

Agreed but possibly a very smart move by Model Rail.There must be quite a few "out there" who find this a desirable commodity.We shall have to wait and see.I will be ordering soon....and I am glad I'm a subscriber....but I do sympathise.Just the way our world turns just now.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the current Bachmann prices I somehow doubt that it would make much difference.  For example  'Edie Ochiltree' in BR lined black is shown as £139.95 and 'Haystoun of Bucklaw' (due Nov/Dec in BR lined black is currently show as £124.95.  Compared with that the £132.95 for MR subscribers sounds very realistic as a price and is a discount of virtually 10% compared with the 15% a retailer is allowed to give initially on new models; and for something with a more complex livery.

Regrettably the simple fact is that we are seeing the consequences of rising costs in China and those rises are having a significant effect on all commissioned models.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Did anyone notice the LNER lined black Luckie Mucklebackit on the Bachmann stand at Peterborough over the weekend ?

Man that was a lot of red !

Due in 3-4 weeks according to the guy on the stand.

There's a review of Luckie Mucklebackit in this months Hornby Magazine. I don't know if it's just the photo but the red lining looks a bit overdone and the LNER lettering and numbering looks gold rather than yellow

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in Scoonie Hobbies today (where I have the LNER D11 on order)  I was advised that Bachmann have sent out email with pre Xmas delivery items which includes both the new D11's an interesting note beside the LNER black was sold out to trade so all of these will shipped to retailers on delivery. If you want one I would suggest a pre order soon as it sounds like they won't last long, the only other item on the list also sold out was the LMS Jubilee, not sure if we are seeing an increase in grouping era sales or if the production runs are smaller of grouping loco's.

When comparing the Model Rail limited edition price with the standard models a straight comparison is misleading:

The lined green livery is more complex than the standard liveries

The model includes etched plates

Bachmann charges a premium for limited editions

Model Rail's price includes a packing and handling charge paid to Kernow MRC who handle the despatch of the models

The MR price also includes the postage cost. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Funny you should mention the MR special now. Is it just below the horizon maybe ? A most welcome variant it must be.I need no second bidding.

We're told mid-December but I'm not sure whether that's delivery to Barwell or to Camborne. We had hoped to have it for Warley.

CHRIS LEIGH

Is there the intention to produce any more versions of the D11/1?

Regards

2016 is the centenary anniversary of Jutland, greatest sea battle of all time at that point (in terms of ship numbers engaged, if not perhaps in decisiveness), and I'd love to see a model of the D11/1 named to commemorate that.  Preferably in BR black though!

But to judge from the magazine ads, they still appear to need to shift more Prince Alberts first.

• RMweb Premium

There's been more than enough BR liveried D11s on the market. Let us pre nationalization fans have our D11 day in the sun please ! :stinker: :jester:

Very happy for you to get your day in the sun, but I have to point out that there hasn't yet been a D11/1 in BR lined black.   62664 Princess Mary or 62668 Jutland would both be excellent choices.

Archived