Remotoring a old grafar 101

carlw

Hi,

I have an old grafar 101 that is being converted to a 104 Mexican bean using electra graphics dmu that runs like a dog that I would like to remotor with a newer more modern motor that I could convert to dcc in the future. Could I use one of the newer grafar 101/108 motors if so do I have to do any mods to get it to fit. If I can't use one of the newer motors is there any other chassis I could use?

Thanks for any help that anyone could give

Carl

• RMweb Premium

The new Farish DMU (classes 101, 108 & 150) all use a half-chassis long "motor bogie" - think of a standard Farish drive system cut in half.

To fit one of these to an old Farish you'd have to re-build the second half of the chassis. It would be quicker and easier to put the old body on the new chassis.

Another option would be to get a replacement Machima motor from Branchlines or similar and replace the original Farish motor. The only problem is that removing the original motor would involve removing a lot of metal and I'd not be confident as to the strength of what was left.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

The new Farish DMU (classes 101, 108 & 150) all use a half-chassis long "motor bogie" - think of a standard Farish drive system cut in half.

To fit one of these to an old Farish you'd have to re-build the second half of the chassis. It would be quicker and easier to put the old body on the new chassis.

Another option would be to get a replacement Machima motor from Branchlines or similar and replace the original Farish motor. The only problem is that removing the original motor would involve removing a lot of metal and I'd not be confident as to the strength of what was left.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

So would the old body just slip over the new chassis or would it need work to get it to fit?

Archived