Met 1, Steam on the London Underground & related events

Paul.Uni

Yes from what i hear, it was failed during the week by Dennis howell after suspect leaks under the smokebox, and i suspect a general feeling of poor pulling power... The concrete in the base of the smokebox was broken up and pulled out to reveal the problem which was apparently a crack/hole in the wall of the cylinder casting that had been previously repaired, hence the need to fail the lcomotive and call in L150 to do the honours...

She certainly acquitted herself pretty well yesterday, although there was some accumulated late running. I didn't get into town until later in the afternoon, so most of my photos were taken at dusk or later, but I think I got a pretty impressive shot of L150 blasting through Rayners Lane on the evening empties to Ruislip. I think after steam on the Circle, Steam on the Met, and Steam on the Uxbridge branch I will be looking back on 2013 with a certain amount of fond nostalgia. I just hope that TfL see that it was a success, and plan some similar events in the future.

Edited by L49

Finally got round to uploading the photos from the weekend. Nothing great, but better than I had managed earlier in the year. Unfortunately the only shot I got in daylight was blocked out by an S stock train, like this...

post-8704-0-48752400-1386693942_thumb.jpg

By the time the next train got into Uxbridge, it was properly dark. L150 made a rather too cautious approach, and had to open up to get to the platform end, which I'm sure made the crew particularly popular...

post-8704-0-16737600-1386693962_thumb.jpg

even by the time she left, the atmosphere was decidedly chewy!

post-8704-0-03327000-1386693973_thumb.jpg

Got to Rayners Lane for the empties, and took this, just because I thought it displayed the true essence of Holden design. These were stations designed to be seen at night!

post-8704-0-48716700-1386693986_thumb.jpg

Especially with a maroon 2 6 2 tank blasting through...

post-8704-0-78954800-1386693992_thumb.jpg

One little bonus for the evening, following Ellie's customary desire to eat pizza at Russell Square, was that the Kingsway subway had it's lights left on. I banged a couple of shots off through the gate on our way back to Holborn

post-8704-0-35949300-1386694000_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-96364700-1386694004_thumb.jpg

All in all, not a bad afternoon...

• Like 4

Finally got round to uploading the photos from the weekend. Nothing great, but better than I had managed earlier in the year. Unfortunately the only shot I got in daylight was blocked out by an S stock train, like this...

attachicon.gifSod It.jpg

By the time the next train got into Uxbridge, it was properly dark. L150 made a rather too cautious approach, and had to open up to get to the platform end, which I'm sure made the crew particularly popular...

attachicon.gifL150 Uxbridge.jpg

even by the time she left, the atmosphere was decidedly chewy!

attachicon.gifSarah at Uxbridge.jpg

Got to Rayners Lane for the empties, and took this, just because I thought it displayed the true essence of Holden design. These were stations designed to be seen at night!

attachicon.gifWhat Holden is all about.jpg

Especially with a maroon 2 6 2 tank blasting through...

attachicon.gifL150 Rayners.jpg

One little bonus for the evening, following Ellie's customary desire to eat pizza at Russell Square, was that the Kingsway subway had it's lights left on. I banged a couple of shots off through the gate on our way back to Holborn

attachicon.gifKingsway.jpg

attachicon.gifKingsway zoom.jpg

All in all, not a bad afternoon...

Al I can say is 'WOW!'. Tremendous pictures. In my long-distant youth I never saw steam down the Uxbridge branch, but I do remember the odd bo-bo invasion with Dreadnoughts (presumably specials) and a more conventional 'brown Met' or two (substitution or by accident?). Both schoolboy delights: the sight of steam at Eastcote is amazing in spite of the present-day nuisance, and the steam-filled Uxbridge terminus is wonderful. 

Thank you for sharing. We don't get many such in Aberystwyth!

Graham

When I was on the train last Sunday, I was told that they are planning two events in August 2014. One of which is the Hammersmith 150 with trains running between Moorgate and Hammersmith similar to the runs back in January.

Info from the Bluebell Railway facebook:

This red GW Prairie tank (aka 5521) has now returned to the Bluebell, on loan courtesy of The Flour Mill Ltd., and is with us until it returns to LT for the August 2014 Hammersmith-Moorgate runs, which should see Met.1, L.150, Sarah Siddons, and our four Metropolitan Railway carriages togther again to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Hammersmith & City line.

Edited by Paul.Uni

• 4 weeks later...

Info from http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/whats_new.html

The locomotive is on loan to the Bluebell courtesy of The Flour Mill Ltd. until July, when it is due to return to London for a further spell of running on the Met, with public trains, also including the Bluebell's Metropolitan carriages, to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Hammersmith and City line in August and, it is reported in one monthly magazine, also potentially on the Chesham branch, although we understand this is subject to confirmation.

Interesting.

• Like 1

That was reported in latest issue of Steam Railway, would be good if they can pull it off. Also that they were looking into the possibility of transferring the Chesham set to London by rail now the East Grinstead link is open, but usual caveats apply.

Regards,

Dan

• RMweb Premium

If they can pull it off some lucky locals are going to find themselves riding in a 4TC or even original Chesham stock instead of S-stock.  Specials to Chesham have to run in the pathway of the advertised service and are also available to the relatively small number of genuine local passengers.  That has included Hastings diesels before now.

Edited by Gwiwer

• 2 weeks later...

A blog post from Sam Mullins (LTM Director) about Tube 150 and the Year Of The Bus contains the following about Hammersmith 150 and Chesham 125

Having built up such momentum and expertise within the Museum and Underground team, 2014 will see another busy programme of steam-hauled events on Underground metals. The Bluebell’s Ashbury set will return in August 2014 for the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the Hammersmith & City line’s opening in 1864. Met no.1, the milk van, carriage 353 and the Bluebell rake will run on two Saturdays, 2nd and 9th August, from Hammersmith into Moorgate and back. The following weekend, 16 and 17th August, steam will take over the Chesham branch for the first time since 1962. Steam services will run from Rickmansworth, with the replacement bus service for the branch being complimented by a heritage bus service.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that steam rained supreme on the Chesham branch one weekend in July 1989 (the Chesham centenary celebration).

Ok it was 9466 and Sarah (I seem to remember Met 1 failed, but was due to take part)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that the Swindon & Cricklade Railway Steam Gala featuring Met 1 and GWR 5637 is this weekend (26-27 April).

The following weekend (3-5 May) Met 1 will be at the Didcot Railway Centre Great Western and Metropolitan Railways Steam Gala, where it will run with 'Main Line and City' coach No. 3755

Edited by Paul.Uni