Met 1, Steam on the London Underground & related events

Paul.Uni

Plenty of good shots on the District Dave forum.

Indeed there are, both still and movies. I felt quite sorry for the little pannier when it was at the tail. It really looked as though it was being pulled along uncontrollably fast by the diesel and Sarah; shades of a Thomas Tank Engine story! It clearly got its own back in the the other direction though!

The way that 9466 came storming up the bank at chorleywood on sunday i think they may well have got their own back on that one tbh!

Just a few from me because i didnt get the ones i really wanted, but these will do pretty well.

I never got to see Met 1 which is a shame, but was always going to folow her round the gala's she is booked in for, if they get her fixed in time that is!

post-3595-0-11890500-1369732462_thumb.jpg

post-3595-0-87136200-1369732468_thumb.jpg

post-3595-0-75432800-1369732476_thumb.jpg

post-3595-0-95388500-1369732484_thumb.jpg

post-3595-0-65450900-1369732493_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I don't know if it was planned but there was parallel running on the first trip on Monday.  This is the view from Highfield Road bridge just south of Northwood station - one of the few overbridges left that has no bolt-on cage but don't tell LUL.

post-6699-0-30246200-1369758178_thumb.jpg

Chris

• Like 6

It ALMOST (but not quite) looks like one of the Met H-class (?) 4-4-4 tanks.  I think it is something about the front end and the relationship between smokebox and running plate that makes me draw that comparison.  Iit doesn't scrub up too badly in LT maroon.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if it was planned but there was parallel running on the first trip on Monday.  This is the view from Highfield Road bridge just south of Northwood station - one of the few overbridges left that has no bolt-on cage but don't tell LUL.

attachicon.gifMet May 2013 006.jpg

Chris

Well maintained lineside environment! No weeds, stubby trees, etc. and even the p-way remains are stacked neatly. If only NR could do this then the railway would be a much better place to work on and indeed photograph.

The photographer does not agree with Lord of Narnia about the S stock.  Steam on the Met used to feature parallel running at the start of the day and I was pleasantly surprised that it happened this time.  True, it would have been so much better if there had been two steam trains but I thought it was a nice touch.  So there! 

Chris

• Like 1

One or two from me from both Sunday and Monday.  Pity about lack of Met 1, but the other two were more than photographable.  The remainder can be found on my Flickr gallery.

The loco move first thing Sunday with 9466 leading:

post-6712-0-05400900-1370168083_thumb.jpg

Monday morning's first northbound run.  I've not done many shots this far east on the Met main, but it came out nice enough.

post-6712-0-04126400-1370168126_thumb.jpg

Well maintained lineside environment! No weeds, stubby trees, etc. and even the p-way remains are stacked neatly. If only NR could do this then the railway would be a much better place to work on and indeed photograph.

If only you'd seen the mess at Chorleywood...... :(  I managed just one shot there before the decision was made to go elsewhere!

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by Tim
  • Like 1

timetable_zpse08768bb.jpg

Talking of steam on the met this is a bit of fun

The picture is from a 1958 timetable and shows the first train of the day as steam

BR ran early trains on the eastern side of the central line right up to 1970

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

BR retained the operation from Stratford to Loughton as a relic of their ownership of the line.  It effectively served as a staff train since those stations were also staffed by BR until around 1960.  The train ran north from Stratford towards Temple Mills and then turned right through what later became a ballast siding to join the Central Line at a long-gone connection at the top of the gradient where the tube climbs out of the tunnels immediately south of Leyton station.

Can i just boost the profile of the miniature railway part of this event?

Amongst a small group of us we have (all in 5 inch gauge) upto 3 Metropolitan railway steam locomotives, of classes A, H and K,  (no guarentee of steaming but will be on display), atleast 1 LT pannier almost certainly in steam, at least 2 metropolitan railway electric locomotives (others to be confirmed) 5 Met railway Dreadnoughts, 3 Jubilee coaches (including a model of the preserved 353) 14 Met railway wagons, Met non passenger stock, and many private owner wagons that would have seen service over met metals and behind Met engines.

All this will be running in between public trains, in what we hope willbe the largest ever gathering of Met railway rolling tock in 5 inch gauge and 7 1/4 inch gauge. Please do come and see us over the weekend, and we may organise photographic opportunities to create scenes such as a Met H at the head of a dreadnought rake, A at the head of jubilees, and K at the head over a mixed freight...

sorry, shameless plug over  ;)

in other news it has been confirmed by EOR that whilst the GER N7 cannot make it, LT liveried prairie will take its place, and that TWO dreadnoughts will now also be visiting for the event, along with Met 1, coach 353 and the Milk van. 

Details of the July 1938 stock run from the LTM Ticket Page

Train 1: Northern line 11:30 Edgware, via the Kennington Loop and returning to Edgware (journey time approximately 90 minutes) Tickets £20 per person

Train 2: Piccadilly line 17:26 Cockfosters to Ealing Broadway (journey time approximately 90 minutes) Tickets £20 per person

• 2 weeks later...

The LTM Friends' Facebook and Twitter pages are reporting that the Neasden Depot Open Day has been postponed. The Vehicles On The Move page on the LTM website now has 'Date TBC' next to the Neasden Depot Open Day entry.

I would recommend anyone who wants a good day out to get over to the Epping-Ongar before the weekend is out. I have spent two very happy days there over the past two weeks, which have more than made up for my awful attempts at getting any decent pictures of Steam on the Met.

Romping up the bank towards Blake Hall with Met No1 barking through the woods whilst enjoying the comfort of a first class compartment in a dreadnought is just about the best fun you can have whilst still fully clothed. The staff are great, the operation is professional, the level of restoration is seriously impressive considering the railway has only been operating under this management for a year, and more than that, it's so close to town.

Photos will follow (once I've got them off the camera)

As Promised, a few shots from Epping Ongar's LU150 events

post-8704-0-76038600-1372682250_thumb.jpg

Firstly, the star of the show waits to be detached from the rear of the once-a-day 'heritage' working to Coopersale, which required top and tailing from Ongar. Met 1 was taken off the back at at North Weald ready to work the next down train.

post-8704-0-55586400-1372682370_thumb.jpg

L150 at the other end of the train waiting to leave for Ongar. I have to confess since chasing them around on the Met, and having a couple of days at the EOR, I'm getting quite a soft spot for L150, and it certainly gives me ammunition in the discussions about the best liveries for GWR engines which go on at the club!

post-8704-0-99655500-1372682486_thumb.jpg

Met No 1 waits in platform 1 at North Weald to take the Mk1 and Mk2 set back down to Ongar.

post-8704-0-82942400-1372682537_thumb.jpg

Later in the afternoon, the N2 waits at North Weald on the same set.

post-8704-0-32302000-1372682721_thumb.jpg

The first shot from last Friday sees L150 passing Blake Hall heading for Ongar

post-8704-0-85256200-1372682832_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-46090500-1372682875_thumb.jpg

Met 1 and L150 return from Ongar on the non stop to Coopersale

post-8704-0-51241900-1372682930_thumb.jpg

Later in the afternoon 1744 waits to come off the heritage set at North Weald.

post-8704-0-32229600-1372683005_thumb.jpg

Met No1 waits at Ongar on the last train of the evening on Friday, double headed back to North Weald with 6141 masquerading as 4141,

post-8704-0-10777800-1372683114_thumb.jpg

My attempt at an arty shot of L150 going onto the coal road at North Weald while Met No1 waits to come off the train. It didn't help that L150 decided to pull forward while I was lining the shot up!

post-8704-0-39411400-1372683266_thumb.jpg

Finally Met 1 and 4141 pose at North Weald.

I hear that Met 1 is still at the EOR next weekend as well, although I don't know whether the Dreadnoughts and Jubilee will be there too, but it would be well worth a look if anyone is in the area.

Looking at teh LTM website 'vehicles on the move' the Neasden Openday is now TBC, and no longer 31 August.... Great (for me) if they move it later (depending on when), but that it has gone from a confirmed date to TBC is not good.