Implement super elevation/cant

We will be putting superelevation on the new WCML Neale Bank layout as the whole thing is one big curve and would look a bit silly without. However there will be points and crossovers which will need thoroughly thinking through prior to track laying.

Cav

• RMweb Gold

How can you create superelevated track using standard Hornby or Peco track?

Most track is flexible enough to twist so the issue is the base and fixing it down.

On open frame boards where the track is supported on a narrow track base supported on riser you can adjust the risers to give the cant and then fix the trackbase and track down firmly.

On flat baseboard where there is a track base packing under the outer edge of the trackbase will provide the cant. If the track is fixed direct to the base I would suggest a packing strip about 6mm wide under the outer edge of the track. and then let the ballast fill in the dip.

The amount of cant is up to you. In our scales it is really only cosmetic. I would suggest a transistion of at least one bogie coach length from flat to full cant.

Someone mentioned the difficulties of turnouts. I suggest if there are turnouts in the curves you ignore the cant and put speed restriction signs up. The effect of cant can best be appreciated on open curves of a reasonable radius where high speed running would be expected.

Don

Packing under the outer edge is exactly what I did. As for the new layout I cant avoid points on the cant and dont want speed restrictions as it is wcml high speed running. I will work around the issues.

Cav

• RMweb Premium

Hi

On a modern image club layout many years ago the whole layout was a circle and all the scenic boards were canted (super elevated) the plain tracks were elevated individually whereas the turnout work was canted across the entire area, the outer tracks rising to meet the level of the turnout outer rails. If the turnout road is against the cant then a sever speed restriction needs to be applied to it.

Cheers SS

Some 30 years ago the Ely MRC incorporated cant on one of its layouts. It looked really good but the problem we had was that the transition from cant to level was insufficient. Whilst most models ran without any problem there were difficulties with long wheelbase locomotives such as 9Fs and especially the rigid wheelbase motor driven tender.

So, by all means have a go as it will look really good if done properly but make the transition as long as possible using transitioned curves between the canted circular curve and the level straight track. Experimentation is recommended.

Chris Turnbull

What happens when the turnouts run into a yard which is level? Does the yard have to be lower than all the super elevated line?

They often were anyway having been built and then hardly touched whereas mainlines were constantly being packed and often ended up on a higher plain than the yard. But as to your question, the best idea is to look at photos and see how the railways sorted such problems out. We often build our layouts on a flat board and so end up with flat track. This is far from the case on real railways hence the need for speed restrictions when negotiating certain formations. Something has to give.

If the turnout to a siding is off the outside of a super elevated curve then the lead into the yard would be uphill then flatten out and then downhill into the yard proper. While mainlines take precedent for perfection, real track is suprisingly imperfect in places, especially in sidings and yards. To copy kinks at rail joints etc merely looks like bad modelling, but then if we also emulated the less than perfect metalwork on real locos and tenders, our models would looks awful.

We often build our layouts on a flat board and so end up with flat track. This is far from the case on real railways hence the need for speed restrictions when negotiating certain formations. Something has to give.

An example being the 10mph restriction at Manningtree North Junction where the Harwich line diverged from the canted main line.

Chris Turnbull

Thanks for the reply Coachman. I am planning to build a layout with the turnouts off the inside of the canted rail where the up and down lines enter the yard. It's hard to tell from photographs as the prototype has much larger radii than I have space for and there's no compromise on the length either so there's not much room for the transition. I guess I will have to work carefully to avoid a kink where the track levels out. I don't plan to use flat boards so at least I can plan to have all the lines at different levels.

Archived