The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RIP Herbert Lom

Claude_Dreyfus

• RMweb Premium

The actor Herbert Lom has passed away at the age of 95.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19745910

He was probably best known as Chief Inspector Charles Dreyfus in the Pink Panther films, and as the gangster Louis in the original film of the Ladykillers. A fine character actor, however having been retired for a number of years, he is also an actor I assumed had passed away years ago.

R.I.P.

A fine and versatile actor, a sad loss. Two very different roles I remember him for are as lorry driver Gino Rossi, in Hell Drivers, 1957, and as psychiatrist Dr Roger Corder, in the TV series the Human Jungle, 1963. As a kid I always found the opening sequence and theme music to the latter very spooky.

Hell Drivers featured a who's who cast of British Actors, I think the only ' driver' survivor now is Sean Connery.

• RMweb Gold

So sad to hear of his passing.

Apart from his enduring Comissioner Dreyfuss character and the superb potrayal of Louis in the the Ladykillers, one of my most favourite films of all time, he was always the superbly sinister villain in so many films.

A few years ago there was a lovely feature in BRJ (IIRC) of the filming of the Ladykillers showing him and Alec Guiness on location having a fag during a break in filming. Just lovely. Must look it out.

Ladykillers trailer on here http://classicfilmsreloaded.com/ladykillers-1955.html

• RMweb Gold

Smashing actor and always good at playing a menacing character so Insp Dreyfus was a bit out of his normal line. Also he was reputedly interested in railways and one story of him was that he often went missing from The Ladykillers set taking photos of trains at the back of the site above the tunnel entrance.

Smashing actor and always good at playing a menacing character so Insp Dreyfus was a bit out of his normal line.

Yes, I was surprised that the BBC news described him as a 'comic actor, I always think of him as a straight actor, as you say Mike, playing menacing, and often foreign, characters.

A fine and versatile actor, a sad loss. Two very different roles I remember him for are as lorry driver Gino Rossi, in Hell Drivers, 1957, and as psychiatrist Dr Roger Corder, in the TV series the Human Jungle, 1963. As a kid I always found the opening sequence and theme music to the latter very spooky.

Hell Drivers featured a who's who cast of British Actors, I think the only ' driver' survivor now is Sean Connery.

Oh dear, I can remember watching 'The Human Jungle' - very much a trail-blazer in the world of the human mind. Born in Prague, he was an archetype for the foreign scientist. As with many inherited UK talents, he fled Hitler's Germany in 1939.

Archived