The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Complete with this  - luxury

yes but you had to go to the teacher first to get it.. and return the roll  after.

Had to suffer the stuff till 1983 in the military..

That 'photo looked more like a backyard "netty" than a school toilet, although our secondary school was like that . . . 

there again, if it had been a backyard "netty" there would be newspaper squares hang on a hook!

Our Junior school toilet was on the other side of the yard, and didn't even have a roof .

As for the Izal . we had to ask for it and were given 2 squares

John

9 minutes ago, Two_sugars said:

John

Hi John,

I thought three sheets were required, one up, one down and one to polish.

May I also add that in such salubrious facilities as pictured three sheets might also be three sheets to the wind.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

That 'photo looked more like a backyard "netty" than a school toilet, although our secondary school was like that . . . 

there again, if it had been a backyard "netty" there would be newspaper squares hang on a hook!

Our Junior school toilet was on the other side of the yard, and didn't even have a roof .

John

Two things

As for Izal, perhaps it was just as well you were only given 2!

Maybe the teacher saved enough at school, to not need to buy for home - takes all types.

My paternal grandmother used to buy it, presumably because it was cheaper?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

...Our Junior school toilet was on the other side of the yard, and didn't even have a roof ...

Growing up in a part of the world that was dominated by post war new build schools with indoor plumbing including hot water to the washbasins, (and provided soft loo roll rather then the Izal/Jeyes 'no traction' sheets my economy minded Pa insisted on at home) we were duly shocked by the Welsh girl introduced to our primary school class. She came from the vaalleys see, and her previous school had solely outdoor arrangements. It was winter at the time and we had snow so we wondered at the experience in that sort of weather. She explained that it wasn't so baad. the sheep came in for shelter see, so your legs at least were warm.

• Funny 10

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Growing up in a part of the world that was dominated by post war new build schools with indoor plumbing including hot water to the washbasins, (and provided soft loo roll rather then the Izal/Jeyes 'no traction' sheets my economy minded Pa insisted on at home) we were duly shocked by the Welsh girl introduced to our primary school class. She came from the vaalleys see, and her previous school had solely outdoor arrangements. It was winter at the time and we had snow so we wondered at the experience in that sort of weather. She explained that it wasn't so baad. the sheep came in for shelter see, so your legs at least were warm.

Then tuck their back legs in your long school socks...........

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

our Primary School loo's long after I left, It didn't have an all over roof then. nor the painting on the wall..

That's the church through those bushes.. And the vicar at the time of the Schools construction.. The Rev Awdry, not the same one but the same family...

820854_a28fa084[1].jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

I'm just wondering. a) what you were searching for when you found that and b) why it made you smile.

a) Dimensions for an M2.5 aerotight locknut, if you must know.

b) Well I thought it was funny. Not a type of fastener I've come across before.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1