The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

That allows people to search if they want to , but I didn't make any political statement ,

just reported the facts .     😎

Actually, I was referring to the location and event, not the post itself. Humor sometimes falls flat, unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Think about it.

image.png.ddfe022a20358a924bc2cb88d50619cb.png

Almost certainly posed, but even if she was erroneously looking for the engine, she wouldn't get much done with that selection of tools....

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

She's looking for the spare wheel .    

Yes . I know it's under the lid before any smart *rse says anything .

Do they still have one?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Almost certainly posed, but even if she was erroneously looking for the engine, she wouldn't get much done with that selection of tools....

She doesn't even have a hammer 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Think about it.

image.png.ddfe022a20358a924bc2cb88d50619cb.png

I'm not entirely sure about the anatomy of a Porch, but don't they keep an oil cooler radiator down there? 🤔 If so, that would explain the tool selection...

Apart from that its a very silly picture. 🤪

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Actually, I was referring to the location and event, not the post itself. Humor sometimes falls flat, unfortunately.

Sorry Dave , much like you miss some of our gags .   😎

I was unaware that Indiana had a problem with people possibly being a bit slow ,  now

if it was Idaho potato country .............................

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Only in America .

Party removed to avoid any talk of politics , just for the laugh .

Voters in Indiana were irate this week after they learned that the woman who they voted for - and the woman who won the XXXXXXXX  primary in which they were voting - had actually been dead for two months. Voters said that no one informed them that the woman had died, and there was nothing on her website that indicated she was no longer alive. They also blamed local media for not actually telling anyone what was happening.

In Australia, we had a recent candidate who passed away a couple of weeks before the general election, so that particular seat election was cancelled and the rest went ahead. A few weeks later that seat had a belated election, with a replacement candidate.

Is that not how a civilised country deals with a similar situation? 2 months is ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I'm not entirely sure about the anatomy of a Porch, but don't they keep an oil cooler radiator down there? 🤔 If so, that would explain the tool selection...

Apart from that its a very silly picture. 🤪

That does look like an earlier  'air cooled'  911 , in that case yes the oil cooler

would be in that area .

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

What sort of tool is she looking for? 😁

6 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

With that selection of tools, she's welcome to work on my Land Rover.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

so that particular seat election was cancelled and the rest went ahead.

Which would have been utter chaos had the majority party needed that one seat to form a government - the whole country would have been in uproar until the byelection.

Australia has to deal with elections occurring at random times at the whim of the government - and consequently can run a byelection. In the US the elections are rigorously calendared - happening at the same time each year they are held. Federal elections are mandated as the Tuesday following the first Monday in November by statute.

There would be a process to have an appointee hold the seat until the next calendared election - like any vacancy.

• Like 2

And now for something completely different; drifting in slow motion. The video creator has an inspired choice of appropriate backing music, a soft Indian Raga-style, which would classically be played for many hours, as this abnormal load did indeed take.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Which would have been utter chaos had the majority party needed that one seat to form a government - the whole country would have been in uproar until the byelection.

Australia has to deal with elections occurring at random times at the whim of the government - and consequently can run a byelection. In the US the elections are rigorously calendared - happening at the same time each year they are held. Federal elections are mandated as the Tuesday following the first Monday in November by statute.

There would be a process to have an appointee hold the seat until the next calendared election - like any vacancy.

But state governments also used to be at the whim of the individual premiers, but most if not all, have fixed terms of 4 years now. This has changed in the past 20 years.

I still don't see the point of having a temporary appointee.

We did have a major issue in the 70s because of a senator who died (for senators, a replacement is appointed in such cases, but is not temporary, but until the next election) and his replacement was a dodgy one, because he didn't represent the late senators party, but the opposition. It led to the events of 11/11/75, perhaps you might recall the circumstances - a notable day in Australian politics.

Almost as a notable date in politics as 5/11/1605.

• Like 3