Johnson 1f

Hi, When l was at the Model Rail Live event at Barrow hill l saw a lovely next project, a Johnsons 1f just off the turntable, l would love to build this loco, l am wondering were the wheels and chassis the same or near as a jinty? can anyone help at all, also did they all have the half cab replaced with a full cab ?? can anyone help ??

George.........

If memory serves, there is a 'wrinkle' in the build: earlier locos built 8'+8' wheelbase, later versions 8'+8'6" which was the 'Derby standard', as found on the later 3FT 'Jinty', Wheel diameter is 4'7", same as 3FT. The preserved survivor was withdrawn with a half cab circa 1966 I think, then knocking 86 years old...

Sorry 34C but your memory seems to be fading :nono: The diagrams of 1Fs in Volume 3 of WSP's 'An Illustrated History of Midland Locomotives' give the wb as 7ft 4in + 7ft 8in. Wheels 4ft 7in diameter is correct. I knocked up a not unreasonable representation from a Mainline J72 (ignoring the wheel diameter) over 25 years ago.

Hi, When l was at the Model Rail Live event at Barrow hill l saw a lovely next project, a Johnsons 1f just off the turntable, l would love to build this loco, l am wondering were the wheels and chassis the same or near as a jinty? can anyone help at all, also did they all have the half cab replaced with a full cab ?? can anyone help ??

George.........

Are you intending to use the Craftsman 1F body?

I saw oneof these on ebay selling for £145, which I thought extortionate until I realised the kit body is £50, the wheels £22 and a decent motor £30+ on top of that, and suddenly for a well made ( seemingly) model, not unreasonable.

Open cabs were indeed around until well afetr WW2. I beieve Stanton Ironworks had a few.

This is solely from memory - my magazines are at home; but during the 1970s the magazine Model Railways (formerly known as Model Railway News) ran a series on building one of these locos from scratch, in 4mm.

The series contained many drawings, diagrams and was a step by step account aimed at the 'inexperienced' builder.

Brian R

Thansk for all your help lads, very helpful, l need to do some research before making a start, might go back to Barrow hill armed with a tape measure this time, l think it would make a good 7mm shunter, on my new layout venture (Abbots Mead).

Cracking job you have made of the half cab version Peter, great stuff, its getting me all fired up again

This is solely from memory - my magazines are at home; but during the 1970s the magazine Model Railways (formerly known as Model Railway News) ran a series on building one of these locos from scratch, in 4mm.

The series contained many drawings, diagrams and was a step by step account aimed at the 'inexperienced' builder.

Brian R

Again from memory 1974 by B Fesank and about the same time there was a 7 mm drawing. Model Railways best years!

Laurence

Mercian Models do a 7mm scale version as shown on their website. It looks as though it can be built with either full or half cab from what I can see. I have never built any of their kits so cannot comment on them but I am quite tempted myself.

http://www.modelrail...e-mainline.html

Alan.

Sorry edited to say, if you wanted a kit rather than scratchbuild. Not sure if Mercian are willing to supply parts from their kits if required to assist with a scratchbuild.

Archived