Conversion to model Ex LNER pigeon van 70759 in preservation

Oh dear, "end of the month" I was getting a bit ahead of my self there!

Anyway some progress to report as you can see from the first and second pictures the side segments have been glued and (shoddily !) reinforced with plasticard it was tricky getting it right as unfortunately the sides were different thicknesses which was solved by using some thin plasticard underneath the reinforcing parts.

I've added two roof vents to the roof, they aren't the right type (they are from a Dapol suburban coach kit) but from a distance they look alright.

The last pic is the corridor side in the position, it's a much closer fit than I expected and left 1mm out of the sides to attach to in case the modded sides were short but they are actually just right, a lot of filing involved !

I'm on the lookout for a interior as I think for the cost of a interior ( a few quid from a swap meet) I might as well use one.

Finally glazing, does anybody know where I can get suitable glazing for the coach as the glazing from the donor is too small for the big windows and there isn't any suitable for the compartment windows.

Sam.

post-14823-0-00918000-1360184653_thumb.jpg

post-14823-0-92459600-1360184696_thumb.jpg

post-14823-0-85628800-1360184737_thumb.jpg

Don't worry I haven't ruined my coach ! I was at the toy fair at the NEC yesterday and picked up this wreck for the grand sum of £1!

The reason I bought it is shown in the 2nd pic, the interior of this pile of spares has the right number of 3rd class compartments the right way round so this should save me a few hours slaving away with plasticard !

post-14823-0-66363200-1360620106_thumb.jpg

post-14823-0-66516600-1360620259_thumb.jpg

Hi Sam,

Been there and done that with a Comet Autocoach kit and the innards of an old Airfix Autocoach! All I had to do was to cut it out as the floor is integral in the Autocoach moulding and fit new transverse walls which gave me the opportunity to do the doors properly too. The feeling of finding a bit that fits and cuts down the amount of work to do is great isn't it?!

Well done - the project is coming along very nicely.

All the best,

Castle

• 1 month later...

Little progress since I last posted but there are a couple of good reasons....

The majority of my modelling time has been on the baseboards for the new layout in the garage, sixth form work has been particularly unkind to my free time and finally I managed to break my thumb !  :blackeye:

Despite this though I have managed to get the corridor side to a point where it can be sprayed maroon, but first I need a good day and a good deal of practise before I mess it up ! The interior is taking shape with both it and the chassis being chopped about to make it fit. 

Ah well, what can you do !

Sam.

Hi Sam,

Sorry to hear of your injury - I managed a rather impressive cut on the outside top of my index finger the other day that resulted in a trip to A&E for some industrial grade repairs. What was I doing? Was it some delicate work with a scalpel on the latest model? Was it some heavy engineering on a locomotive? No - I was taking a drill out of a chuck and the key slipped... I did feel a bit of a muppet! Get well soon - there are coaches in 4mm:1' and 12":1' scales that need your attention!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

Good work.

But remember - AS levels first - then fun.

I left school with only O levels and then had fun, until I realised I was behind the power curve.  2 Masters later and I'm happy - catching up when you are older is tough.

• 4 weeks later...

Broken thumb has meant very little has been done but with the help of some bluetack (my new left hand !) I painted the interior during some relaxing and therapeutic breaks from revision!

After a bit of thinking I decided to make a guards compartment even though it probably won't be seen ! To do this I chopped a bit off the first class end and added a bit of plasticard and that was that ! No idea what the colours should be so I went for a red (humbrol 20) for the seats and a dark brown for the woodwork (humbrol 86). Hope to get going again when exams are over and the cast is off, 2 weeks left !

Sam

post-14823-0-14248200-1366237369_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

No idea what the colours should be so I went for a red (humbrol 20) for the seats and a dark brown for the woodwork (humbrol 86).

Easy the colours are what you paint / upholster the real one

It needs to go to an exhibition to get the comments from so called know it alls! ;)

Easy the colours are what you paint / upholster the real one

It needs to go to an exhibition to get the comments from so called know it alls! ;)

Yes ! The rivet counters would love this "oh the corridors on the wrong side, guards ducket in the wrong place, blah blah blah" show prototype picture. "oh, never mind" !

I don't know what colour the upholstery will be but I imagine BR would've replaced all of the older stuff by the time it would've been repainted in maroon. This project is full of ifs and maybes at the moment, mainly because the prototype hasn't yet been built !

• RMweb Premium

Yes ! The rivet counters would love this "oh the corridors on the wrong side, guards ducket in the wrong place, blah blah blah" show prototype picture. "oh, never mind" !

I don't know what colour the upholstery will be but I imagine BR would've replaced all of the older stuff by the time it would've been repainted in maroon. This project is full of ifs and maybes at the moment, mainly because the prototype hasn't yet been built !

Well upholster it in the same colours as your model!

BTW I am very interested in preserved coaches, I have a website of them!

• RMweb Premium

I'll update it then over the weekend, it is only done ocassionally since I had a huge update a couple of years ago.

About 25 years ago I was collecting information for an attempt at a preserved coach book, but there was no interest.

Got a load of updates on SR pregrouping to go up

• 1 month later...

It's been a while but I'm back ! With my all my exams done (well til next year at least !) I've been able to have a look at the model again and remembered the next step is to paint the completed side and put it in.

The thing is I've never used spray paint before so I cut my teeth on the offcuts from the sides and the body of the coach that donated the interior. Then once I had gained some confidence did the first "proper" paint job and sprayed a coopercraft ex GWR wagon kit in black for my pway train. Hope to tackle the side itself by tuesday. Apologies for the poor quality photo, it was a quick snap taken on my phone.

Sam

post-14823-0-86197500-1370814843_thumb.jpg

Hi Sam,

If that's the first time you have sprayed paint then that looks to be a good job! Not that you seem to need it but the simple tricks I was taught was to start the spray off the object and then keep a constant distance from the object as you go across it and to take your finger off the trigger after you are off the object. Also don't linger anywhere or try to put too thick a coat on in one go. It is better to build up thinner coats than try to get it all on in one go. If you follow that you won't go far wrong...

I look forward to seeing this project finished. It would be good to see some full size pictures to go alongside your model too!

All the best,

Castle

I sprayed the side on tuesday and went back into the garage today to have a look (couldn't look on wednesday as it was an absolute washout !) and because of the different colours of plastic there was a slight variation in colour, not much but I thought it was worth another coat.

Got halfway across the coach when all of a sudden the spray can gave out ! Luckily there was very little splatter but now there is more of a difference but this time in glossiness rather than shade ! Hopefully a coat of matt varnish should sort it. Here are a couple of pics, I couldn't resist blutacking it in place and testing it with some newly chipped locos !

post-14823-0-04126700-1371160843_thumb.jpg

post-14823-0-81134600-1371160867_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's been a while but I have made some (not much!) progress. I have now finally chopped out the other side as I'm now fairly close to putting the sides in. I did a much neater job this time following what coachman did on his blog, just gentle knife passes at the gutter, it was so smooth it didn't need filing ! compare that to the remains of the other side and you'll see I was a bit over enthusiastic with it !

The compartment side has now been painted and the gap in the coach is almost the right size now but still needs a new tumblehome formed as the Hornby coach is too flat in comparison to the kirk sides, I tried a pic of this but it was the blurriest picture I've ever taken !

Won't be able to do anything for a couple of weeks but then I'll order a few bits: SE finecast flushglaze for Hornby gresleys (fingers crossed it'll fit!) some HMRS BR lining and maybe some roof vents. I'm looking at the roof vents now and even from a distance they look a bit odd. Does anybody know where I can get hold of some suitable ones?

Thanks, Sam

post-14823-0-05801200-1375282054_thumb.jpg

post-14823-0-85659600-1375282074_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Shock horror I've actually done something ! The compartment side is now in (glued in 5 mins ago so hopefully it's fine !) and it looks to be fitting well looks a bit flimsy though, I think some bracing will be required between the two sides and the floor when ready. 

Other modelling time has been spent on two of the "model railway village" MK1 SKs, at £3.99 each you just can't say no! 36 transfers applied so far and that's still not all of them ! 

The real 70759 has now been shunted the 100 yards into Bewdley carriage and wagon works/paint shop (a 4 hour maneuver!) for work to the roof. In 2 weeks the old (felt!) roof was totally gone, all the roof ribs removed, then renovated and then the ribs replaced ! The shop also has a 3 for 2 sale on Dapol kits from the end of August until Sunday 6th October (including the Bus Rally, steam and diesel galas!) , I know I'll  be picking up more Dapol suburbans next I'm down there !

Sam

(6/9/13 edited for clarity and typos !)

post-14823-0-14892400-1378142040_thumb.jpg

post-14823-0-76032400-1378142055_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've been putting this off a bit but I've finally sat down and started lining the thing. Probably not the best thing to do my first lining job on with all of the beading on it...  :banghead:

First side done, you may be wondering why I've numbered it as E 24506 E rather than E 70759 E, that's because as a passenger carrying vehicle it will be renumbered eventually into a series that has has similar 4 compartment BTKs in it (I think !)

Sam

post-14823-0-44598100-1380390375_thumb.jpg

post-14823-0-93262800-1380390392_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'm a volunteer on the Severn Valley ( you may have guessed by the name ) and I'm hoping to recreate the coach I've been working on for the past year. It's ex LNER pigeon van no 70759 which is being converted to a brake 3rd with 4 compartments (see drawing below). I don't have the money ( or courage/recklessness) to tackle it by butchering a pair of super detail Hornby teaks and have considered using the old Ian kirk kits available via cooper craft.

http://www.svr-rolli...AYOUT_720px.jpg

The two kits I thought most suitable for this were 8842 LNER 61'6" Corridor Full Brake and 8850 LNER 61' 6" Side Corridor Composite. I thought it would be best to buy the 8850 kit then buy the sides to the 8842 kit that are available as spares on the website. Then I would make the composite kit as per instructions but the only difference being the altered sides with the halves of the full brake sides. The whole thing would cost a mere £19 as I already have wheels paint etc.

But having said that has anyone got a better solution or spotted a silly mistake I've made?

Greetings, Sam.

This is my first 'post' on this (or any railway modelling) site, so please excuse both my ignorance and bad grammar!  Memory plays many tricks with us, and I THOUGHT I remembered a pigeon van as being virtually identical to a Gresley 61'6" full brake, but, from what I gather from the replies you have had, and your own experiences at the SVR, it is only HALF a brake coach with compartments at the other end.  Well, that is a bit of a bummer, as I had intended to re-letter a full brake and use it as a pigeon van (without interior of any kind).  Can you please confirm that what you are doing is a 'cut 'n' shut' of half a full brake and half a comp coach?  If so, why not just use a brake composite and cut out the awkward work?  There must be something important that I am  missing here, so please enlighten an old man, coming back to railway modelling after a break of over 35 years, who is dazzled by too much choice of stock, detailed locos, DCC and all the rest of the stuff you kids are using - including controlling your layout from the other side of the world, using your mobile bloody phones!!  Please explain slowly exactly what a real pigeon van actually looked like (on the outside only).

Sorry to interrupt the flow of the thread, but any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

ATB and Many Thanks.

"BGP 70759 is a full brake vehicle with guard’s compartment and fold-down racks intended for the transport of racing pigeons."

Above from the SVR site.  That suggests no compartments at all.

I gather from the vehicle diagrams on the same page however, that the conversion to which it's being put DOES have compartments at one end.

I think the following may be another Pigeon Brake:

http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/images/10078/10078.jpg

Greetings, Sam.

This is my first 'post' on this (or any railway modelling) site, so please excuse both my ignorance and bad grammar!  Memory plays many tricks with us, and I THOUGHT I remembered a pigeon van as being virtually identical to a Gresley 61'6" full brake, but, from what I gather from the replies you have had, and your own experiences at the SVR, it is only HALF a brake coach with compartments at the other end.  Well, that is a bit of a bummer, as I had intended to re-letter a full brake and use it as a pigeon van (without interior of any kind).  Can you please confirm that what you are doing is a 'cut 'n' shut' of half a full brake and half a comp coach?  If so, why not just use a brake composite and cut out the awkward work?  There must be something important that I am  missing here, so please enlighten an old man, coming back to railway modelling after a break of over 35 years, who is dazzled by too much choice of stock, detailed locos, DCC and all the rest of the stuff you kids are using - including controlling your layout from the other side of the world, using your mobile bloody phones!!  Please explain slowly exactly what a real pigeon van actually looked like (on the outside only).

Sorry to interrupt the flow of the thread, but any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

ATB and Many Thanks.

Hi 060shunter and welcome to the forum !

You are right that the pigeon vans are identical to full brakes (other than the interior) so you will be able to renumber your full brake as a pigeon van. Yes I have cut and shut half of a full brake and half of a comp coach, on top of a Hornby chassis. The reason for this is that the brake compo has different number of compartments, windows, doors etc. and I'm not much good with filler !

The reason we are converting 70759 to a brake third is that although a second brake vehicle is required a full brake would be a bit pointless as the SVR does not need to have that much pushchair storage ! So it was decided it was best to convert it into a brake third as much of the framing and panelling would be replaced anyway and this could also use some of the groups spare parts. more info about 70759 here and pigeon vans in general here .

No worries about "interrupting the flow of the thread" I hadn't posted anything since September ! :O

Hope that helps, Sam

Hi Phil,

I was pleasantly surprised to find the glazing did fit but I have only test fitted it at the moment.

A mini update: chopped the old roof vents off and filed/sanded smooth in preparation for filling and drilling holes for the new comet vents I picked up from warley.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 060shunter and welcome to the forum !

You are right that the pigeon vans are identical to full brakes (other than the interior) so you will be able to renumber your full brake as a pigeon van. Yes I have cut and shut half of a full brake and half of a comp coach, on top of a Hornby chassis. The reason for this is that the brake compo has different number of compartments, windows, doors etc. and I'm not much good with filler !

The reason we are converting 70759 to a brake third is that although a second brake vehicle is required a full brake would be a bit pointless as the SVR does not need to have that much pushchair storage ! So it was decided it was best to convert it into a brake third as much of the framing and panelling would be replaced anyway and this could also use some of the groups spare parts. more info about 70759 here and pigeon vans in general here .

No worries about "interrupting the flow of the thread" I hadn't posted anything since September ! :O

Hope that helps, Sam

Hello, Sam.

Oh!  I see.  Thanks for the very helpful reply and illustration.  For my own purposes, the full brake will be close enough and most people who might view the setup would hardly be likely to know that pigeon vans existed - let alone be able to fault the model on details.  I am much relieved that I need not carry out the kind of structural work you have done.  Hope your finger healed OK and that you are still enjoying your work on the SVR, certainly one of the top three in the country, imho.  We hope to get over there again this spring or summer, but not during school holidays, for several reasons.

ATB and have fun.

Barry

Archived