English Heritage site - Signal Boxes

I've had a quick skim through and it looks very interesting. Thank you for posting this and I agree with Nick that maybe the title could be more informative to get more people to look at it.

UK prototype would be the best place, but it's neither preservation nor discussions-it's information really and It does deserve to be looked at.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately it has beem very heavily improved from the original draft version (which was truly awful and inadequate apart from a mass of errors) - now a fairly good document although I doubt if any of the replacement windows are truly 'sympathetic'.

The LNWR section is not particularly good - Monks Siding had it's steps which have been moved to the opposite end of the box (meaning it's not substantially as built), the photograph even shows the old doorway ! (although it is a type 3), Helsby fails to mention that the original brick base has been surrounded by a skin of new bricks making it look podgy around the waist and therefore not a typical type 4, the group value (with the station) clouding judgement imho.

I'm not sure of the date of the information, Betley Road had long been demolished by October 2011 (the "from" research date) but is mentioned as a good example of a Type 3 ...

But better than nothing I guess and it can only improve.

• RMweb Gold

The LNWR section is not particularly good - Monks Siding had it's steps which have been moved to the opposite end of the box (meaning it's not substantially as built), the photograph even shows the old doorway ! (although it is a type 3), Helsby fails to mention that the original brick base has been surrounded by a skin of new bricks making it look podgy around the waist and therefore not a typical type 4, the group value (with the station) clouding judgement imho.

I'm not sure of the date of the information, Betley Road had long been demolished by October 2011 (the "from" research date) but is mentioned as a good example of a Type 3 ...

But better than nothing I guess and it can only improve.

I didn't look at Betley Road in detail Beast - as I was given to believe by one of EH's informants that it would have been corrected by the time this version was published.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It doesn't seem to mention some places worthy of consideration for listing (speaking for my 'patch' at work, anyway), such as the disused box at South Brent, or the still-operational crossing box at Oddingley (a lovely little gem of a single storey wooden MR 4 windowed box).

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't seem to mention some places worthy of consideration for listing (speaking for my 'patch' at work, anyway), such as the disused box at South Brent, or the still-operational crossing box at Oddingley (a lovely little gem of a single storey wooden MR 4 windowed box).

I think omissions are largely down to NR Cap'n as they (and various others) supplied the information in the first place although a lot of corrections and additions were made by others when the draft was first circulated. Best answer now is probably to contact EH?

• RMweb Gold

I think omissions are largely down to NR Cap'n as they (and various others) supplied the information in the first place although a lot of corrections and additions were made by others when the draft was first circulated. Best answer now is probably to contact EH?

Interesting, now you mention it, Mike, I recall something circulating at work a while ago. I recall sending back an exhaustive list of all such structures on the patch....

Archived