The goods shed certainly still survives and is in industrial use of some kind, and I think the concrete shed is also still there; the loss of the goods yard and other facilities at least means that there's decent free parking at Caersws, which consequently acts as the railhead for Llanidloes, Rhayader and a number of other local spots - it's surprising just how busy the little station can be at times.

Shame the old crossing gates have gone, though!

I can remember the station in the 80's, and I took some pictures, but not as good as the ones above. I have been looking for some archive pics of the station and goods yard for a possible layout, the ones above are great.The crossing gate are gone, and the signalman, the whole line being controlled by satellite from Cardiff. The station was recently up for rent as a house and the waiting room has closed unfortunately, to be replaced by a bus shelter. Most, but not all the buildings are listed, and all remain in the goods yard, but without access. Will try and post pics to show mid 80's overgrown nature of goods yard. thanks all.

• RMweb Premium

And of course the station building is still there. The level crossing is now barrier with an enormous "cage" around it on the platform which makes the platform too short for six coach class 158s. Though ATW seem to have found a way round as the 10.46 from Newtown to Shrewsbury (ex Aberystwyth) is now six cars. Usually (but not always) the rear two cars are locked until Newtown.

The line is controlled from the box at Mach, actually, I believe.

There was an article I read some time back, in the Rail Engineer, that said since the Cambrian's conversion to ERTMS signalling, it is now controlled from the Thames Valley Signalling Centre in Didcot!

• RMweb Gold

The level crossing is now barrier with an enormous "cage" around it on the platform which makes the platform too short for six coach class 158s. Though ATW seem to have found a way round as the 10.46 from Newtown to Shrewsbury (ex Aberystwyth) is now six cars. Usually (but not always) the rear two cars are locked until Newtown.

On 30th September I was on the 1223 from New St (does it start from International?) which was a 6-car 158, although advertised as 4. The front 2 were for Aberystwyth, the rear 4 were detached and terminated at Machynlleth, where they were replaced by a 2-car - with commendable slickness - for the onward journey to Pwllheli. [On joining at BNS, we were advised this would happen. Full marks to ATW conductors.]

• RMweb Premium

That is normal. On most services sections separate and join at Machynlleth. Otherwise except for the late train there is a connection there for the coast line off down trains. The problem Caersws poses is that they do not have selective door opening, so one unit has to be (should be) locked for the stop there. However, at the moment this only affects a few trains as most are four coaches between Machynlleth and Birmingham International. There are strong rumours of an hourly service on the line, and work has been done, but it has not happened and no-one seems to know when it will. I assume the problem is availability of stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Some really brilliant photo's there of Caersws, thanks very much for sharing them with us. :thankyou: :good:

Great forum everyone, very interesting. Am looking at Caersws station and notice that signal box has one set less of window frames than the Ratio model of same.......

Does anyone have information about the cross over at Caersws from the goods shed side of the goods yard to the northern side with the cattle sidings and coal sidings? In the BR period the aerial shot shows a straight crossover rather than a single or double slip, which surprised me, anyone know what the layout was in the 1910s? And does anyone know if the general layout was any different. I would look at a period map but would have to go to Aberwystwyth to research. Excellent pictures! :locomotive:

Wasn't there a Paul Lunn plan based on the Van Rly sidings in RM a while ago?

Anyone know more of this?

I'd like to add thanks for posting what are fascinating photos particularly of the Van (Caersws) Shed - of particular interest. Unusual, I believe, for its size as a 1 track shed.

Great forum everyone, very interesting. Am looking at Caersws station and notice that signal box has one set less of window frames than the Ratio model of same.......

Does anyone have information about the cross over at Caersws from the goods shed side of the goods yard to the northern side with the cattle sidings and coal sidings? In the BR period the aerial shot shows a straight crossover rather than a single or double slip, which surprised me, anyone know what the layout was in the 1910s? And does anyone know if the general layout was any different. I would look at a period map but would have to go to Aberwystwyth to research. Excellent pictures! :locomotive:

Purely a guess, but I suspect that there never was a slip there; the Cambrian were never as keen on them as the Great Western. Indeed, the Cambrian tended to go for the simplest S&C work possible, presumably on the grounds of cost.

• RMweb Gold

Anyone know more of this?

I'd like to add thanks for posting what are fascinating photos particularly of the Van (Caersws) Shed - of particular interest. Unusual, I believe, for its size as a 1 track shed.

Hi Kenton - it was the March 2008 issue of Railway Modeller. There was a short-lived thread based on the idea here.

Hi Kenton - it was the March 2008 issue of Railway Modeller. There was a short-lived thread based on the idea here.

Thanks, just looked it up and I should have guessed with the name Paul Lunn mentioned that it would be a very stylised compression and "inspired by" plan and nothing like the prototype.

The shed entrance for a start was on the Van side of the yard. I was wondering, I suppose, what exactly was out there regarding the prototype. A book on the Van Railway or a plan of the whole of Caersws infrastructure. This is a good one for the triangular layout designers. Though probably too big to be practical - as if a triangular baseboard can ever be said to be practical.

Thanks, just looked it up and I should have guessed with the name Paul Lunn mentioned that it would be a very stylised compression and "inspired by" plan and nothing like the prototype.

The shed entrance for a start was on the Van side of the yard. I was wondering, I suppose, what exactly was out there regarding the prototype. A book on the Van Railway or a plan of the whole of Caersws infrastructure. This is a good one for the triangular layout designers. Though probably too big to be practical - as if a triangular baseboard can ever be said to be practical.

The latest edition (2004) of "The Mawddwy, Van & Kerry Branches" published by Oakwood Press may still be available. It gives a lot of information (and most probably, too much inspiration!)

Davethegraves - you asked about single slips in 1910 - on www.old-maps.co.uk, there is a 1902 map

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maptiles/m101140_302750_292000.png

but there seems to be a half-inch slice missing at the join in the maps, just near where your slip would be ( or not!!) - so you may still need to go to Aber

And here is 1974

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maptiles/m100954_302810_291900.png

For Van Station 1902

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maptiles/m101140_295178_287369.png

and the mines (1902 and 1886)

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maptiles/m101140_294324_287735.png

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maptiles/m100923_294324_287735.png

I've been through Caersws on an Arriva Wales Club 55 to Pwllheli ( arrive 3.15-ish dep 3.30-ish), but I had not heard of Van Railway until reading this thread, so as usual old-maps was my first thought. Nothing on www.britainfromabove.org though

The latest edition (2004) of "The Mawddwy, Van & Kerry Branches" published by Oakwood Press may still be available. It gives a lot of information (and most probably, too much inspiration!)

Many thanks, have just ordered a copy - I like inspirational.

post-20418-0-84648100-1383062647.jpg

post-20418-0-23907000-1383062628.jpg

Many thanks for the help. I am sure you are right about the slip/cross over, too expensive for a quite minor use. And it is better to control shunting having a crossing rather than a slip.

above two pics showing  Van railway stations (and the Van engine shed) and mainline stations in 1987

Archived