O gauge Milk tankers

DapolDave

Hi Ian I applaud you for trying but be careful as the model is a can of worms. If you downsize the wheels the ride height MIGHT be wrong but, for sure, the brakeshoes will be a long way from the wheels which may make it look worse unless they can be removed and fitted closer. Changing the axleboxes may be easy but I don't know if they come off. Correct GWR style RCH oilboxes are available as are 20.5" 2 rib buffers. Going for GWR DC brakes is the easiest option as later GWR or LMS brakegear is not available unless Slaters supply the bits. Since they are on the etched sheet, that might get expensive unless you want to use all the other bits of brake rigging.

At a certain point the economics start looking very shaky and buiding a kit with all over sludge livery and NO transfers may be little more work, cost less, and provide a far more accurate model. Just think before you leap.

Regards adrianbs

Edited by adrianbs

Guest 838rapid

Well I am glad to say I purchased a further example today to head towards my collection and someone placed an order for 10.They seem to be selling quite well.

I have enclosed a picture of my 2 wagons for the benefit of people wishing to buy some I did measure the buffer height and it is correct.

For those that just want to see some better pics here you go.

post-7937-0-53049200-1410870969_thumb.jpgpost-7937-0-24920300-1410870987_thumb.jpgpost-7937-0-49168400-1410871400_thumb.jpg

Oh and the green western is new too.

Post edited as was out of context,following the redaction of the previous comments that this post related too.

Also to clarify I have unblocked Adrian BS so I , can clearly see what he posts and therefore I have the right to reply as does everyone else as they see fit.

Edited by 838rapid
  • Like 2

Hi all It is very good of the previous contributor to confirm the buffer height is correct at 24.5mm but this means that the buffer height/wheel diameter relationship is only correct for the LMS tanks. Any attempt to modify them to GWR ought to entail moving the axle bearings down in the axleguards by 1.5mm before fitting the smaller wheels required as well as all the other alterations. Upgrading the model as an LMS tank is more complex as the floor needs altering and a new set of cradles will be needed as well as similar work on the brakegear and buffers mentioned earlier. Other work would be required on top of this to get anywhere near a well built Slaters kit.

Regards all adrianbs

• Like 1

Just bought a rake of these. They look great behind my Hymek. I don't think you can really compare them to a sheet of brass / pile of plastic bits that you assemble yourself.

It's like buying a house. If you need one, it's easier to go out and buy one already constructed than buy a plot of land, bricks, mortar. Of course a kit built one is going to look infinitely superior if you peruse it in fine detail, but nobody is going to notice any of that when it's being hauled around a layout (or garden).

And it's all very well saying a kit-built one costs less, but what about the Value of Time? If you're retired, you might value your time at £0+ per hour. However, a busy professional (Accountant, Civil Engineer, Doctor etc) who might want some rolling stock for their hobby is going to value their spare time at something like £100+ per hour. How many hundreds of pounds would it cost them to build a kit? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi  Cantongoat,  Yes it is easier BUT it might cost more and you will have to put up with the way it is whereas the satisfaction of designing and building  your own to exactly your needs will always be more satisfying, I know 'cos I've done it !! ( Houses wise I mean )   adrianbs

I don't disagree Adrian, but satisfaction is relative to what your main areas of interest are, together with the amount of skill & time you have available.

You have to take account of the fact that not everyone is into building rolling stock, some people just like running trains or building scenery -  and gain their satisfaction that way. It doesn't really matter that the wagons are not 100% accurate as long as they 'look right' in the overall scene.

And in terms of accuracy, where do you draw the line? You could quite literally go insane attempting to take prototypical accuracy to the nth degree: Do they have the correct number of springs? Are they working springs? Are they fitted with a vacuum reservoir? Do they have working vacuum brakes fitted? Are they built from steel and lined with real glass? Do they have cow milk inside them? It is all relative. A metal kit would undoubtedly be more visually accurate, but to what degree does this represent prototypical accuracy compared to the full size prototype? As an example, take Ace Trains coarse-scale tinplate BR Mk1 coaches. Visually, these are inaccurate compared to finescale kit built ones. However, the Ace Trains coaches feature prototypically sprung commonwealth bogies. Does that make them more or less accurate than a kit build bogie that is visually more accurate, but does not feature working springs? I don't know, I guess it depends where your priorities are.

Notwithstanding that, if your kit-building skills are limited, you're not going to be very satisfied with a part-built / shoddily made milk tanker that you lashed up yourself. And I doubt many new converts from the smaller gauges to O Gauge, who may be inexperienced kit builders, are going to want to start with a £40+ kit that they are likely to bodge. 

The availability of new RTR O Gauge models is what is drawing people into the gauge. I don't see these as replacing kits, they are complimentary to them. In due course, purchasers may want more detailed and visually accurate rolling stock, so turn to kit building these. However, the initial momentum may be from the purchase of say an RTR loco, then some rolling stock just to get things running. I don't see that as a bad thing. On the contrary it is to be encouraged.

Edited by Cantongoat
  • Like 1

Agree with Cantongoat.

I have two of the Dapol tanks and I'm not going too lose sleep over any 'faults'. Life is short and I intend to enjoy using them on my slow-progress layout!

I don't have the time, the skill or the patience to be so obsessive in one hobby but if others wish to do so, that's fine. Personally, I can enjoy the Dapol tanker for what it is and I hope others are not discouraged from doing the same.  

Jon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi  all,  I have no objection to modellers buying anything they want, whether it be mass produced RTR toy trains or scale models in tinplate, plastic or any other medium, nor to buying handmade cheap or expensive RTR in plastic, whitemetal or etched brass. It is not the modellers I have a problem with but a manufacturer who produces basically inaccurate models with little option to upgrade them to anything better without spending more time and money than buying or building another product.  These are being sold in packaging which proudly proclaims "Authentic Scale Model"  a claim which I find, at the very least, misleading.both in terms of "authentic" and "scale" in most cases.  I appreciate that most modellers have limited knowledge about the prototypes represented by the models they buy.  Many must assume that the models really do bear a close resemblance to the description.   Dapol's public admission that the milk tanks are "generic" and the fatuous arguments they put forward should be ringing alarm bells in everyones ears,  Generic means Inaccurate, and, Oh boy!  is that a bit of an understatement. 

Many contributors to this forum seem to believe that either these models have so little wrong with them that it is only a minor problem that they, AND EVERYBODY ELSE has no reason to complain about or that for the price point it is impossible to produce anything more accurate.  There are many modellers who have decided these are of such an inferior standard that they do not wish to purchase them, apart from myself.   It is blatantly obvious that it is possible to produce models of a far better standard, either  mass produced RTR or indeed handbuilt  RTR from kits at only a marginally greater price and in some cases cheaper.  Lionheart preceded Dapol in this field with models which are in a completely different league, somewhere at the lower end of the Premier league if a football analogy is used and as good as almost any professionally built kits.  Dapol are languishing somewhere in the 3rd division or in the conference league by comparison.

Heljan have now joined the wagon fray and although I am not an expert on their particular offerings they appear to be on a par with Lionheart.   I stand to be corrected on this when I see a proper review although I would not take any notice of Magazine reviews which in general seem to be little more than additional free advertising.  What will be crunch time for Dapol will be their first two locomotives.  As we have seen from the howls of derision hurled at OO manufacturers who get even minor points wrong, most modellers seem to have a very different threshold of acceptance for locos than for wagons or coaches.  At the moment the Terrier is showing a number of rather obvious faults even with the limited amount of information that has been shown and appears close to production.  The other promissed  Dapol wagons seem to have been placed on the back burner at the moment with no CADs or even descriptions for the majority. 

Regards all adrianbs

• 2 weeks later...

I don't disagree Adrian, but satisfaction is relative to what your main areas of interest are, together with the amount of skill & time you have available.

You have to take account of the fact that not everyone is into building rolling stock, some people just like running trains or building scenery -  and gain their satisfaction that way. It doesn't really matter that the wagons are not 100% accurate as long as they 'look right' in the overall scene.

And in terms of accuracy, where do you draw the line? You could quite literally go insane attempting to take prototypical accuracy to the nth degree: Do they have the correct number of springs? Are they working springs? Are they fitted with a vacuum reservoir? Do they have working vacuum brakes fitted? Are they built from steel and lined with real glass? Do they have cow milk inside them? It is all relative. A metal kit would undoubtedly be more visually accurate, but to what degree does this represent prototypical accuracy compared to the full size prototype? As an example, take Ace Trains coarse-scale tinplate BR Mk1 coaches. Visually, these are inaccurate compared to finescale kit built ones. However, the Ace Trains coaches feature prototypically sprung commonwealth bogies. Does that make them more or less accurate than a kit build bogie that is visually more accurate, but does not feature working springs? I don't know, I guess it depends where your priorities are.

Notwithstanding that, if your kit-building skills are limited, you're not going to be very satisfied with a part-built / shoddily made milk tanker that you lashed up yourself. And I doubt many new converts from the smaller gauges to O Gauge, who may be inexperienced kit builders, are going to want to start with a £40+ kit that they are likely to bodge. 

The availability of new RTR O Gauge models is what is drawing people into the gauge. I don't see these as replacing kits, they are complimentary to them. In due course, purchasers may want more detailed and visually accurate rolling stock, so turn to kit building these. However, the initial momentum may be from the purchase of say an RTR loco, then some rolling stock just to get things running. I don't see that as a bad thing. On the contrary it is to be encouraged.

Interesting comments.

I make no value judgements and as far as I am concerned, it is each to their own...

The only problem that I can see is that the more of you guys that buy them then the more you 'encourage' Dapol - it's like feeding the local stray cat, and then it still cr@ps on 'yer lawn <yuk!>. Cant we have both, an accurate RTR model at a VFM price? Of course we can, that's what the likes of Ixion and Lionheart do. Whatever happened to good old market forces, survival of the fittest etc etc. why is it that Dapol churn out substandard in terms of accuracy and it still sells - that amazes me.

I would buy from Dapol - when they get something right in 7mm. Being a modeller of WR I am really disappointed to see that Dapol have the Milk Tanks so, so wrong - and I am not even a rivet counter!

To quote Chris Leigh's review, entitled, 'First Review. Dapol 6W Milk Tank' (MR 201 pp 20 - 21);-

'...That welcome has not been universal, however, for Dapol's model does not profess to represent any particular prototype and has some features from several different designs and others from none...'

'...There is, however, no representation of brake operating rods, or more importantly, a vacuum brake cylinder...'

'......So, to the question of value for money. In 'OO' gauge, a model of this calibre would probably be in Hornby's Railroad range, though it is not at a 'Railroad' price point...'

So what Mr. Leigh is saying is that this 'model' is akin to a child's toy if it were in 'OO', but it's retail price is £74.50 - a price firmly in the adult collector's price bracket. (I am too polite to use the 'yuff parlance required at this point).

The tinplate version on Pg 90 of MR 201 is better looking!

Are we all sitting comfortably - then I shall begin <sniggers, then remembers how he had to hack about some Skytrex 12T vans to make them look prototypical - but justifies this action, in his mind, as they were, after all, in the 'bargain bin' on the Skytrex stand ha ha ha!>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzM2LxL22Wc

Agree with Cantongoat.

I have two of the Dapol tanks and I'm not going too lose sleep over any 'faults'. Life is short and I intend to enjoy using them on my slow-progress layout!

I don't have the time, the skill or the patience to be so obsessive in one hobby but if others wish to do so, that's fine. Personally, I can enjoy the Dapol tanker for what it is and I hope others are not discouraged from doing the same.  

Jon

Good points well made, I know the feeling, time is precious - I empathise.

But I dont think for me it's a matter of being 'obsessive in one hobby', but rather, the issue, of not wanting to be sold short in terms of a purchase - if the model's price point was eg. £20-25.00 then that may be a different story (I wonder what the percentage difference is between Hornby's 'Railroad' and 'Collector's' ranges? Perhaps Dapol should apply the same, Railroad, pricing to their current 7mm RTR models?).

I hope others will think twice about purchasing these models as I for one would like Dapol to try harder - their approach to date seems to be one of contempt for the punter(?) Let's hope RW steers them straight and true from now on.

I tend to see both sides of this "debate"...I used ot build a few O gauge wagons simply cos I could do, and for no other reason....well certainly not to run em on my then few feet long allocated space :D so I dont know how "good" they were but I enjoyed it as summat to do back then ,

Surely, if you like what you have, whether it right or wrong is pretty immaterial?

By and large I agree, and as I said, each to their own and no value judgements etc, but I think some have let Dapol off of the hook - yet again...

But worse things happen at sea.

Kindest to one and all.

Enjoy your models and modelling whatever your preference!

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

At one of the Liverpool shops (Tower), Slater's 6 wheel tanks and transfers costs about £60.00, Dapol ready built £65.00. Not much difference in price. If the object of 7mm is running trains, then it'll be much quicker to buy a few ready to run wagons, compared to spending hours assembling kits and then waiting for the paint to dry - and making more than one kit is tedious.  I've no idea how many folk are looking for accuracy in playing trains, but from the usual layout viewing angles and distance, I doubt if the differences are that noticeable, unless milk tankers are your thing.

If your interest is in accuracy of the models, kit building and similar, then I guess you would not buy ready to run, and if you were specifically LMS, say, and Dapol did GWR tankers, then again, you wouldn't buy.

I guess Dapol have made something that is good enough for their market, at a price that folk will pay, so I don't see what all the fuss is about. If they had spent more time, made a specific wagon, then I guess they would have had to charge more, and most likely sold fewer because it would be of a specific model  that many would not have wanted.

Most Layouts are a compromise, in some way or another, so now we can have matching wagons, too.

Best wishes,

Ray

I guess Dapol have made something that is good enough for their market, at a price that folk will pay, so I don't see what all the fuss is about. If they had spent more time, made a specific wagon, then I guess they would have had to charge more, and most likely sold fewer because it would be of a specific model  that many would not have wanted.

I don't really agree there. A model that is an accurate representation of a particular prototype will appeal to modellers of that region/era as well as those who want a generic model. A hybrid model will only appeal to those whom a generic model suits and will not satisfy any modellers looking for a specific prototype.

A specific prototype would have been better as tankers tended to get mixed up anyway after they were pooled during WW2. Thus a specific prototype (be it GWR or LMS) could easily have been found away from its home turf, especially after nationalisation.

• Like 1

In this instance, an accurate representation would have meant starting again, research, cad, etc. The end result would have been a higher cost product, having to claw back the costs of the original development, even longer production delays. How much would they have to charge for the revised model? How many would pay that amount? Who knows, maybe a rivet perfect version is on the stocks, at £150.00, say, in a year or so?

I guess, at the end of the day, Dapol will decide if they did the right thing. I expect there is a fair chance they will have recovered their costs. Whoever follows Dapol in making a 6 wheel tanker, can charge more for greater detail, so that's a good thing, or there is probably enough margin so they could charge less, but nobody is that daft.

Hi  All     I totally agree with Kathedron's last post and I cannot understand why Raymw disagress with my post 67.  I am almost certain that Dapol have spent more on making these generic tankers than they would have if they had done a basic GWR version. They have clearly had to make more tooling than was necessary ( two cradle designs) they have also had to set up to produce a new wheel size when the existing brakevan design would have been correct and enabled a reduction in cost, not only in materials for the larger wheels but also due to the larger volume produced. They have left off the brake yokes and linkages which. had they done the GWR tanks, are virtually identical to the SR brake van and would have satisfied most rivet counters (Even Me !). In addition they have had to redesign the brakegear, presumably costing more than using the prototype design. This has resulted in a characature of the GWR design with one side completely misplaced and totally impossible to operate in real life and also preventing the fitting of a vacuum cylinder. ,They have had to leave off the solebar lettering due to quality control problems or have had to refinish the models to blank out the mispelt  and mispositioned wording.  They must have left some who have now read the review in MR with the feeling they have read these comments before somewhere.

They have thus produced a model which will only satisfy some of the potential customers   Unfortunately I feel the phrase "Water off a ducks back" may well apply to Dapol's reaction but I am pleased that on this occasion a review has made some attempt to inform the readers of the shortcomings of these wagons. Perhaps some Re-reviews would be appropriate.    Regards adrianbs

In this instance, an accurate representation would have meant starting again, research, cad, etc. The end result would have been a higher cost product, having to claw back the costs of the original development, even longer production delays. How much would they have to charge for the revised model? How many would pay that amount? Who knows, maybe a rivet perfect version is on the stocks, at £150.00, say, in a year or so?

It would not have cost anything like that much. Research and CAD work is a long way from being the most expensive part of developing a new model. By far the biggest expense of developing a new model are the tooling costs, particularly if long-life hard steel toolings are used (which I believe Dapol do).

There is a commonly quoted rule of thumb that it costs 10 times more to correct a pyhsical product than it does to correct the computer model at the design stage. I have some hard numbers somewhere but that is not far off. Changing the design before you cut the steel is not especially expensive or time consuming. Expensive would be correcting a faulty tooling and time consuming would be waiting for a new production slot.

• Like 1

HI Adrian,

I'm not disagreeing with your post  67. afaik. For whatever reason, Dapol have decided what they have decided, or maybe decided nothing and just let it go ahead. From the CADs in the first post, we heard nothing much, until they more or less hit the shelves, so we don't really know how far down the road of manufacturing the item was when we were shown the drawings 2 years ago. Maybe they were prepared by folk with more interest in the ease/cost of manufacturing compared to accuracy, maybe they worked from a few photographs, and were paid by the hour, or on a fixed price contract. Anyway, it was Dapol's choice, if they had much of a choice, and I guess they have their reasons.

fwiw, I never saw any full size milk tankers, or at least trying hard I can't remember seeing any. I wouldn't be able to tell if a model was accurate or not, unless I bothered to research the subject. If I rememberd a dairy name, and a house colour, I'd probably be happy with a painted toilet roll tube on a set of wheels, running on an imaginary 7mm location. Fwiw, I would be unlikely to pay much more than £30.00 for any wagon, kit or ready built.

At the moment, it seems like a lot of crying over spoilt milk... , but at the end of the day it probably looks better than a Bassett Lowke wagon.

Best wishes,

Ray

Edited by raymw

On 30/09/2014 at 01:29, raymw said:

At one of the Liverpool shops (Tower), Slater's 6 wheel tanks and transfers costs about £60.00, Dapol ready built £65.00. Not much difference in price. If the object of 7mm is running trains, then it'll be much quicker to buy a few ready to run wagons, compared to spending hours assembling kits and then waiting for the paint to dry - and making more than one kit is tedious.  I've no idea how many folk are looking for accuracy in playing trains, but from the usual layout viewing angles and distance, I doubt if the differences are that noticeable, unless milk tankers are your thing.

If your interest is in accuracy of the models, kit building and similar, then I guess you would not buy ready to run, and if you were specifically LMS, say, and Dapol did GWR tankers, then again, you wouldn't buy.

Most Layouts are a compromise, in some way or another, so now we can have matching wagons, too.

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi Ray,

All modelling is a compromise and I believe that it would have cost the same to get the model right in the first place as to get it wrong. Dapol could have made a model of each of the main types and I would have purchased one or more of each........I fail to understand why punters and potential punters make excuses for the likes of Dapol.

Kindest,

CME

On 30/09/2014 at 12:23, Wheatley said:

Dimensionally accurate would have done.

As I have said time and time again, I agree, this would have kept the cost down and allowed those of us who wanted to, to super-detail, and kept those who wanted to just run them in a rake around the garden happy too.

I still cant work out if Dapol are cynical or not very good at research, it's clear that DJ has produced some decent models in other scales and gauges when at Dapol -so I bet he's glad that he is out of there and able to prove himself with his own brand/models

It is clear that to date, Dapol doesnt listen to many of it's customers and the tacit wisdom available.

On 30/09/2014 at 15:36, raymw said:

HI Adrian,

I'm not disagreeing with your post  67. afaik. For whatever reason, Dapol have decided what they have decided, or maybe decided nothing and just let it go ahead. From the CADs in the first post, we heard nothing much, until they more or less hit the shelves, so we don't really know how far down the road of manufacturing the item was when we were shown the drawings 2 years ago. Maybe they were prepared by folk with more interest in the ease/cost of manufacturing compared to accuracy, maybe they worked from a few photographs, and were paid by the hour, or on a fixed price contract. Anyway, it was Dapol's choice, if they had much of a choice, and I guess they have their reasons.

fwiw, I never saw any full size milk tankers, or at least trying hard I can't remember seeing any. I wouldn't be able to tell if a model was accurate or not, unless I bothered to research the subject. If I rememberd a dairy name, and a house colour, I'd probably be happy with a painted toilet roll tube on a set of wheels, running on an imaginary 7mm location. Fwiw, I would be unlikely to pay much more than £30.00 for any wagon, kit or ready built.

At the moment, it seems like a lot of crying over spoilt milk... , but at the end of the day it probably looks better than a Bassett Lowke wagon.

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi Ray,

I reckon the tinplate version looks better LOL!

In terms of the planet spinning who cares if Dapol get it right or wrong. Yet from a consumer POV it's madness for Dapol and for us.

Clearly Dapol is pretty arrogant and doesn't listen and hasn't heard of continuous improvement!

I dont expect a manufacturer to pander to all of our needs and wants, yet I find it telling that they have such a small presence on here - now - and have not offered their models to the likes of the GOG for review.

Dapol's excuse will be, as with the POW's, well they sold well!

Please excuse me nextdoors cat has left something nasty on the lawn again so I shall have to go and sort it <I wonder, if I polish it - they said that couldn't be done - put six wheels on it, some nice packaging and I could have a winner on my hands all I have to do is keep feeding nextdoor's cat that high roughage food and I will be rich beyond my dreams!> LOL!

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
typo

• RMweb Gold
From the CADs in the first post, we heard nothing much, until they more or less hit the shelves, so we don't really know how far down the road of manufacturing the item was when we were shown the drawings 2 years ago. Maybe they were prepared by folk with more interest in the ease/cost of manufacturing compared to accuracy, maybe they worked from a few photographs, and were paid by the hour, or on a fixed price contract. Anyway, it was Dapol's choice, if they had much of a choice, and I guess they have their reasons.

Ray

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you would bother replying to this thread given you are not really interested in the product!

If the answer was that Dapol wanted to produce all the possible liveries for a milk tanker, but couldn't justify tooling differences for each variant then why not get at least one correct?!? At least then 1 out of X variants is right instead of 0. I'm afraid it stinks of either lack of knowledge/research and/or contempt for their customers - which given they are trying to build a market for their products seems strange (unless O gauge modellers are really less discerning than I ever imagined).

Fortunately for most products we have gone past the point where it was acceptable to produce generic models which don't really correspond to anything. Please let's not go back in time...

Cheers, Mike

Guest 838rapid

I made a shocking discovery today,the Great Western Society have preserved a Southern Railway milk tank wagon.

Tongue firmly placed in cheek,what difference does it make to the collection there??

Nothing what so ever,it's good that we all have varied ideas of what we want to buy,otherwise it would be a boring world.

Now,where did I put my 3 rail model of the N2? Tank locomotive that was produced before.

Does it matter it's a 3 rail model,yet kids loved them no doubt when they were produced.

If you buy one/some then like me enjoy them,however if you prefer kit building and think these wagons are the of the devil then that's your right too.

Happy Days.

post-7937-0-17776500-1412095820.jpg

Edited by 838rapid
  • Like 2

Hi 838rapid,  Hope you find your N2 3 rail loco, presumably Hornby Dublo, but there is little else British outline 3 Rail in HO to run with it.as they don't much like Trix Twin track if I remember rightly but have fun anyway. Even British Trix in later years was about  1/82nd scale so it's a bit overscale and that would not do, I am sure, even on your railway ??

Regards  adrianbs