Spalding MRC

Adams442T

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Graham. Another eBay search to keep running! As a few of the recent Southern releases have tempted me (M7, T9, Well Tank, etc) I'm thinking of doing a 50s 'declining backwater' layout based on either Westerham or Martin Brent's original Arcadia, so some ex-LSWR coaches would fit the bill nicely.

With the difficulty of finding a Northstar set, you might think about Kernow's forthcoming gate-stock as an alternative?

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/35804/K1004_Dapol_1914_LSWR_PushPull_Gate_Set_number_373

• RMweb Gold

I went to the Spalding show yesterday and really enjoyed it. my overall impression was it was busier than last year. Good show at a fair price (£6 adults)

Highlights

St Giles. Brilliant! I'm primarily a steam fan but this blue diesel layout was wonderful. They kept a constant stream of sound fitted locos on realistic workings. Took me back to my days out with my camera when BR was worth the effort. A really well modelled and well operated layout with a good bunch of operators willing to chat to the crowd. My vote for best in show

East Lynn and Nunstanton - faultless running, good entertainment and superb modelling. Glad to have seen a classic before it retired

Ackthorpe - nicely done and pretty well presented eastern region (west riding) steam

Gamston Bank - great concept, well modelled let down a bit by the operation. Owner honesl enough to acknowledge that and hoped it would be better today after settling down.

Bishop Wearburn. Some of the best n gauge modelling I've seen. Hard to believe it was built 10 years ago - well worth seeing

Ashland - I have seen this a couple of times now but it was certainly at the usual high standard

Hungerford - Double edged sword for me. Beautifully modelled, a bit let down by the operation and to me as a former resident of Hungerford I think it's sufficiently far from a true representation that it shouldn't be named Hungerford. Reading about the layout the team do acknowledge they made a number of compromises to the surrounding area.

Lowlights

The toilets and catering at this venue are poor. Catering insufficient to deal with the numbers and a room that makes a school dining hall look positively welcoming. Get a pass out and eat in the garden centre!

Paid a visit today and I have mixed feelings. Whilst it's always good to see a busy exhibition, I wonder if they perhaps needs to consider a little more width with the aisles. It was a little squishy at times.

Whilst I found the overall quality of the layouts to be very high, I thought that there ought to be a bit more variety in time periods. Yes, there were a couple of 'modern image' layouts, but the majority seemed to be the steam/diesel transition period?

A very good show, but it's usually much quieter on Sunday. A good balance between trade stands and layouts, with something to suit most tastes.

Most of the big layouts were actually running trains (not something you can always say about every show), although Gamston Bank seemed to be having trouble all afternoon.

There were about four 'helpers' but only one person operating (and working very hard) to keep some trains running while the others prodded things.

I know exhibitions are tough, but my advice to them (if they're listening) would be to take some of the stock off the massive fiddle yard (far too many trains, not enough space) to leave an empty road so they can at least run some trains, and to have a proper 'emergency plan' so that when things go wrong in the fiddle yard (which was the main problem), they can at least run something. It probably needs someone in overall charge to make some decisions - a bit like when operating on the real railway goes wrong. Gripe over!

Hi Mel

I am one of the operators from Gamston Bank.

The problem was not to much stock in the fiddle yard , they are divided into two sides, north and south,totally seperate and two to three rakes per line.

The problem was one of the controllers went down, once the second controller was put into action things went back to normal.

Our next exhibition is in Nottingham next year, if you can make it i would be happy to show you how it works and for you to give it a spin.

regards Greg Kibble,

Archived