Spalding MRC

Adams442T

Haven't seen anything on the 2012 exhibition yet, does anyone know the dates? November sometime I presume, but I know there was talk of an alternative venue being explored.

Peter

Slightly spooky! Just got an email through, it's on Sat 10 & Sun 11 November at the usual venue Springfields Event Centre (next to the Shopping Outlet and across from the large carpark)

Usually a good show, although a bit crowded on Saturdays. £6.00 entry but includes 40 page exhibition booklet. Squires will be there so a good opportunity to stock up for the winter!

Usually far better than the Peterborough offering ( giving it a miss this year) dates are in my Diary

Interesting, I was going to both Spalding and Peterborough until having to pay for an unforseen house repair put the kibosh on the latter. Feeling less peeved at missing out and looking forward to this now :)

Interesting, I was going to both Spalding and Peterborough until having to pay for an unforseen house repair put the kibosh on the latter. Feeling less peeved at missing out and looking forward to this now :)

Having attended Peterborough yesterday, I can promise you did not miss much. The 5th running of this show, it really should be getting better. I've been to all 5 now and although the trade side is improving, the layouts on display are not and the manufacturers representation remains poor. I went to Spalding last year, and although very busy, thoroughly enjoyed it. A proper good old fashioned model railway exhibition. Looking forward to it again this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently our very own grahammuz will be at Spalding on Saturday with Ashland running his 1946-49 Southern stock, and several other Hornby Magazine featured layouts will be exhibited in a dedicated hall.

Any other RMWebbers going on Saturday?

• RMweb Gold

Apparently our very own grahammuz will be at Spalding on Saturday with Ashland running his 1946-49 Southern stock, and several other Hornby Magazine featured layouts will be exhibited in a dedicated hall.

Hi

Yes I shall indeed be there all weekend behind 'Ashland' the layout Mike Wild, Richard Proudman and myself built in a weekend at the Hornby Magazine live Hartlepool show in July 2011. more details and pictures can be found on my blog here

Last years Hornby Magazine showcase isle has indeed been increased to a separate hall this year! Come and say hello always good to put faces to names.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I will be there on the Saturday with Colin Hill we will be catching the 6:26 train from Stafford.

Always a good exhibition

Eltel

Stafford Railway Circle

Having attended Peterborough yesterday, I can promise you did not miss much. The 5th running of this show, it really should be getting better. I've been to all 5 now and although the trade side is improving, the layouts on display are not and the manufacturers representation remains poor. I went to Spalding last year, and although very busy, thoroughly enjoyed it. A proper good old fashioned model railway exhibition. Looking forward to it again this year.

Whilst I obviously can't comment on Peterborough, I can endorse what you say about Spalding. Good show, but very busy - I probably should have paid more attention to the show's ad and gone tomorrow as it suggests, but not to worry. Got a few odds and sods from Kyte's, Shawplan and Squire's that I was after, so a good day on the shopping front. Didn't see anything from the box shifters to tempt me, so a good day on not-emptying-my-wallet-on-an-impulse-buy front as well. This might even mean I can go to Hull tomorrow :)

Layout-wise, I have to admit that I didn't give many layouts the attention they deserved as the crowds just got the better of my patience a number of times. Not just the sheer number of people, but unfortunately the 'backpack and B.O.' stereotype was very much evident, even on the bus from the bloody railway station! However, it was fascinating to see T gauge in the flesh and of the layouts I did persevere with, Owen Street was my favourite. I'll gloss over the fact they use smoke as I guess that makes it something of a Marmite layout; I just loved its setting and atmosphere.

And £6 entrance fee? Bargain! :sungum:

Excellent show today, and though I didn't manage to come across any fellow RMWebbers, the BO contingent was mercifully low! Heartening also to see that the 'Greybeards' were (almost) outnumbered by the younger element. Either that or sales of Grecian 2000 were up in the Spalding area!

On hand to see Trevor Nunn presented with a cup by the Club with accompanying local mayoral dignitaries. Great to see to see his East Lynn and Nunst'ton on their last outing before retiring to Trevor's barn where they will have a permanent set-up.

Gameston Bank, Hungerford, Westford, Cotteston, Bankfield Road, and Gifford Street were all well worth going for and, though it's not my scale The North of England Line impressed with smooth scale length operation. Abbey Road was great fun with varied tube trains rocketing in and out of the station in a prototypical frenzied rush-hour way.

My favourites? Well, East Lynn aside, the other 'S' gauge madness, Kilbrandon, an essay in Irish Broad Gauge, Brucklay and last but no means least Ashland. I thought the simple understated appearance worked very well. Just a few parked vehicles, satisfyingly matt, no hoardes of garish figures frozen in mid action, and sufficient varied traffic to keep interest. Didn't get to see Muz after all, which was a shame as I'd have liked to ask him what the origin of the two short length Southern coaches were.

I grabbed some tools I didn't know I needed 'til I saw them and a Bradshaw's Guide, so a good day all round. :imsohappy:

Paid a visit for two hours this morning before leaving for Hull and the second leg of a show double header. A great show with first class trade support and some real heavyweight layouts, well worth a visit if you're thinking about it tomorrow.

A very good show, but it's usually much quieter on Sunday. A good balance between trade stands and layouts, with something to suit most tastes.

Most of the big layouts were actually running trains (not something you can always say about every show), although Gamston Bank seemed to be having trouble all afternoon.

There were about four 'helpers' but only one person operating (and working very hard) to keep some trains running while the others prodded things.

I know exhibitions are tough, but my advice to them (if they're listening) would be to take some of the stock off the massive fiddle yard (far too many trains, not enough space) to leave an empty road so they can at least run some trains, and to have a proper 'emergency plan' so that when things go wrong in the fiddle yard (which was the main problem), they can at least run something. It probably needs someone in overall charge to make some decisions - a bit like when operating on the real railway goes wrong. Gripe over!

• RMweb Gold
My favourites? Well, East Lynn aside, the other 'S' gauge madness, Kilbrandon, an essay in Irish Broad Gauge, Brucklay and last but no means least Ashland. I thought the simple understated appearance worked very well. Just a few parked vehicles, satisfyingly matt, no hoardes of garish figures frozen in mid action, and sufficient varied traffic to keep interest. Didn't get to see Muz after all, which was a shame as I'd have liked to ask him what the origin of the two short length Southern coaches were.

Hi Peter I am sorry that I missed you, I must have been on a break when you came by Ashland, it would have been good to say hello especially as I know you take the time to read my blog too.

I assume you mean this Pull Push set No. 734

post-243-0-68699000-1352580167_thumb.jpg

It' one of the PP sets converted from ex LSWR 48 foot Emigrant stock. It is a Northstar Models set which unfortunately are no longer available. They were a Christmas present to myself a few years ago now.

Hi Peter I am sorry that I missed you, I must have been on a break when you came by Ashland, it would have been good to say hello especially as I know you take the time to read my blog too.

I assume you mean this Pull Push set No. 734

post-243-0-68699000-1352580167_thumb.jpg

It' one of the PP sets converted from ex LSWR 48 foot Emigrant stock. It is a Northstar Models set which unfortunately are no longer available. They were a Christmas present to myself a few years ago now.

Thanks Graham. Another eBay search to keep running! As a few of the recent Southern releases have tempted me (M7, T9, Well Tank, etc) I'm thinking of doing a 50s 'declining backwater' layout based on either Westerham or Martin Brent's original Arcadia, so some ex-LSWR coaches would fit the bill nicely.

Archived