Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

Something a little different:

Tonight I tried experimenting with speed blur shots. I know exactly how to achieve the desired results when I can use shutter priority or set a camera to manual over-ride but my present camera has neither and I had t resort to setting the ISO down to 80 (as low as it will go manually) and hoping .....

First we see a 66 (or more correctly perhaps we don't see a 66) coming around the same bend and taken from almost the same spot as the HST view in the post above.

DSCN6816_zps6110373c.jpg

The 66 plus freight train (eight JIA tanks just for the record) passing through Penhayle Bay

DSCN6817_zps19a07cc4.jpg

Then the same train passes through Treheligan down platform loop - the track nearest the camera - while the action on the platforms behind the train is just about "stopped" in a hand-held 1.6 second exposure.

DSCN6826_zpsee114755.jpg

Finally the same view with the camera re-set to fully automatic has achieved a quite different result

DSCN6830_zpse626ec07.jpg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A rare visitor to Cornwall. An ex-works Hymek seen on a milk train running past a waiting class 22

DSCN6855_zpsa52ecd43.jpg

And looking along past the dries the signals have been repaired after a 12" : 1' cat walked over them ages ago. The one on the left controlling exit from No.2 siding is new as the previous one was in too many pieces to fix; it is also mounted on a much shorter post than before to be near the line of sight for ground staff as well as the driver.

DSCN6847_zpscb647716.jpg

EDIT : still having issues with spell check "correcting" a correct word. It turned "past" into "last" :(

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I always enjoyed what the bellowers now call "thrash" with them on the Pompey - Cardiffs. In those days you never saw anyone with their head out of the window, never mind arms, unless it was me while the loco started off from Fareham and worked up the 1:70 to Swanwick.

• RMweb Premium

That one should be gold - it was the one which eluded me right until the end and I had though I might only ever see 100 of them. On the very last spotting trip I made to Paddington during their service years this was one of the last two or three to be active then just as I had given up hope and packed up the bag in she came with ECS from Old Oak .........

• Like 1

Being one of the last in service is probably why it was luck enough to be preserved. Judging by the condition 7076 will need some work on the paint pretty soon, she was smoking well too.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Today's running session extended well into the evening. Due to finish at 6pm we continued until nearly 9! A beautiful spring day with warm sunshine saw a small number of us enjoying the "home fleet" rolling stock (mostly from the 1960s today) but with some guest appearances of UK, Chinese, Australian and North Polar origin!

The layout was running continuously for 6 hours with only one minor fault which quickly self-corrected and with very few rolling stock issues. For an outdoor line I always find that gratifying as there are times when it simply doesn't want to "play nice" at all. This was also the first time the new clay dries scene has been on public display.

RMweb members included Jim76, P.C.M and SRman.

Ponsangwyn Yard was presented in its occasional setting as an SR steam shed showing some of my recent weathering work:

DSCN6897_zpsef3e01a4.jpg

The new "box diagram" made its public debut. It's nothing grand but gives a "real signal box" feel along with the Hornby lever frame and neatly conceals all the wiring behind the levers and controllers. It also makes route setting much easier and I now have to "pass out" on the frame!

DSCN6879_zps4cdcdf00.jpg

A fair amount of refreshing has gone into those areas which needed it in the weeks leading up to today. The pub has been re-seated in levelled ground and the roadway renovated for example.

DSCN6924_zpsdeaa3d3d.jpg

In addition to the more normal fare of WR diesel-hydraulics there were some inter-regional interlopers. D6572 enters Treheligan station with a Brighton train and causes the St. Agnes clays to be held on the branch behind D6330.

DSCN6918_zps20c8908a.jpg

Visitors included Jim's 47560 named "Tamar" which was very apt for the location

DSCN6909_zpsf9187a12.jpg

And P.C.M. provided his well-travelled 33010 just back in Australia after appearing on UK layouts and thoughtfully equipped with a loop coupler rather than a Kadee at the trailing end to attach to my stock

DSCN6906_zpse9d7a72a.jpg

Other guests included two Chinese locos and a short passenger train of soft class rolling stock

DSCN6901_zpsd2562e00.jpg

A Burlington Northern rail-mounted truck of a type known in Australia as a Hi-Rail

DSCN6905_zpsa14b0e49.jpg

A Victorian Railways T-class on a short freight

DSCN6910_zpsa3b3eaa7.jpg

The diminutive, yet powered, rail tractor representing a type which numbered over 50 and were found across the state of Victoria in rural sidings where they were used for light shunting often of grain wagons and perhaps only on a few days of the year.

DSCN6903_zps952faf12.jpg

Finally this delightfully quirky pump trolley, which is also powered and successfully ran a few circuits of the layout, "driven" by a pair of Santa's elves attracted the attention of the resident photographers!

DSCN6902_zps68d481c5.jpg

A most enjoyable day and thanks to all those who contributed to making it so.

• Like 9

Hi Rick - great photographs and thanks again for hosting such an enjoyable afternoon (and evening)! It was fantastic finally seeing Penhayle Bay 'in the flesh' so to speak and of course meeting everyone. I really enjoyed the day. Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A nice collection of photos, Rick, reminding me how different locomotives can be as you go to different places around the world.

One of the great things about your layout is the number of cameos. Makes the viewer look at what's going on more attentively, or you'll miss something.

Btw, the Hornby lever panel looks very effective!

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks also from me for the very enjoyable running session, great company and also the nice refreshments. Sorry I had to leave before everyone else - obviously the running session continued after that as there are a few models there that I didn't see earlier.

It was good to meet Jim and Steve (first timers) and,of course, PCM once again.

The layout never fails to impress.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For all those who might have been affected by wild weather recently and for all who simply enjoy the idea of lazing in the warm while life gently goes on around you - here's a ray of warm sunshine

post-3305-0-14823100-1354090139_thumb.jpg

And for those who wonder what it's like down under the beach is always popular and the surf's always up at Penhayle Bay!

post-3305-0-58383300-1354090163_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Rick,

Nice work on the layout. Its funny what you see with foreigners having a run on the layout. I had some very new American Locos and rolling stock running last weekend.

I also have to build a viaduct and am leaning towards the Wills kit, how did it go together? Would you recommend it? I have to cut it down to single track and a little shallower, 132mm to track level.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark

My viaduct is a Wills kit with two extension arch kits to give the required length.

As a kit it goes together well enough but might take some persuasion to stick - you are dealing with quite long thin edges which may need to be held or clamped for some time. But mine has stayed together and shows no signs of deterioration after a couple of years outdoors although I did need to re-glue a couple of joins in the early days.

It is easy to cut the height down by trimming the lower edges of all the components. The deck panels come ready scored to cut for single track making that modification extremely easy.

As a hollow plastic kit I have my doubts about it taking the weight of trains over an extended period of time and of it staying robustly in tact. Mine is reinforced. I shaped balsa blocks which were inserted into the uprights after the four edges were stuck together and the deck is supported on thin MDF which lies across the concealed inside of the arches and extends onto upright chipboard panels which are part of the scenic structure at either end. The plastic decking is therefore not taking any weight and merely has the track stuck to it.

The brick arch inverts are also not the Wills ones as I had difficulty persuading those to both take on a curve. I tried steaming them and even securing them in a semicircular position to no avail. They proved very difficult to slied into the intended runners without causing damage and I settled instead for Faller brick-print card which took the curve much more easily and to my mind also looks better than dark red plastic.

Finally I glued the sleepers to the plastic base - the only section of the layout with glued down track - because there is no other way to secure the track; even using an underlay you would find it hard to fix unless things were stuck.

Would I recommend the kit? It does what it says on the box. It makes a convincing viaduct which you can paint to suit your requirements. It is robust enough but probably needs to have some wood added to ensure it doesn't simply pop apart after a few months. Yes, I would recommend it, but bear in mind you may need to modify or add to it as I have.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Peter. Glad you enjoyed it.

I particularly like your shot of the blue Warship pulling out ahead of the green one. Those shunt signals are a new addition as well - only put in two days before your visit - and make that view a lot more realistic.

Guest Linthorpe

I have just circumnavigated the whole thread and the archive, and what a fascinating read it was. I think your vegetation is some of the most natural looking that I have seen. If I get mine any where near your standard I will be more than happy.

• Like 2