Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann class 25 "rat" which came with a factory spray of shiny dirt has been toned down and had rather more added including detail of oil spills and splashes.

Apologies for the "soft focus" on the first shot :blush:

DSCN3868.jpg

DSCN3869.jpg

There is a "spotted" effect apparent on the body side from an unknown cause but I am actually not unhappy with the appearance which all adds to the "used" look in my opinion.

EDIT : the third image failed to load at the first attempt

DSCN3870.jpg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rick,

The neighbours dog must be a Wizzo fanatic... He only barks when there's a 'thousand' on the move.

I bet he runs indoors whimpering with his tail between his legs when you get a hoover out! :O)

Talking of dogs, I love your layout, it's the mutts nuts!

Cheers,

Ian.

PS - Did you get that 33/1 off Ebay?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ian. And no, the 33/1 went higher than I was prepared to offer for a used one; we can never be sure exactly how "used" something might be and I take that into account.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott.

The layout is operated on DC with four electrically-independent circuits meaning at least four trains can be moving at one time. All track is Peco code 100 with insulfrog points; I considered code 75 but wasn't happy that it could withstand the outdoor environment and I considered electrofrogs but went for the easier wiring option.

There is a track plan somewhere back on the old RMweb2 thread. As I need to re-draw it anyway I'll re-post it here in the next few days.

Be good to see the new track plan. I couldnt tell it was code 100 hence why i asked. Atleast with code 100 you shouldnt get many problems with running. I find code 75 looks good but even some of the new locos have problems running when its ballasted gets abot lumpy when ther is nothing in the way. But your modelling is fantastic.

Regards

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Vandals have struck at Penhayle Bay!!!

The up-side shelter has suffered a graffiti attack.

DSCN4009.jpg

Work on the real house has included renovation of the room which overlooks the farm scene. As this is currently devoid of furniture while I strip out the carpets, sand and varnish the floor it has also presented the opportunity to capture a shot of the farm through the window from an angle not normally available.

DSCN4002.jpg

Smaller works of note have included the experimental use of weathering powder clumped with hairspray to represent china-clay residue in open wagons.

DSCN3967.jpg

Also the tarpaulins supplied with the Kernow MRC edition clay wagons have been weathered. Black was applied by brush while the spotting has been achieved by inverting the wagon onto the workbench where several colours of powder had been in use and pressing it into the residue.

DSCN3968.jpg

The full rake is seen in Ponsangwyn Yard along with a line-up of well tanks; 30585 in the centre waits "time" with the Wenford Goods rake.

post-3305-0-09219000-1334410595_thumb.jpg

The two wagons featured above are coupled behind the loco as the crew find time to stop and chat with the Treisaacs bee-keepers

post-3305-0-24337000-1334410710_thumb.jpg

The train is seen running onto Darras Viaduct (and attracting the attention of the ever-present photographers!) in strong sunlight and shows that the clay wagon has been fully weathered on the outside as well.

post-3305-0-21255100-1334410806_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

The layout is operated on DC with four electrically-independent circuits meaning at least four trains can be moving at one time. All track is Peco code 100 with insulfrog points; I considered code 75 but wasn't happy that it could withstand the outdoor environment and I considered electrofrogs but went for the easier wiring

Must be that us Aussies like tradition Rick, I still operate on the same system...either that or I was too tight to pay for all new track!

Keep the faith,

Cheers,

Sandgroper, Peter C.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a long overseas trip, including being represented and proving popular at the RMweb Taunton Members' Day, I can report Penhayle Bay is in good condition apart from a little greenery relocated by enthusiastic birds and the occasional roaming of cats across the layout. Despite cold and wet weather there is only one damp spot which has given trouble ever since the layout was built and can be rectified again.

Significant additions to the rolling stock collection have been secured whilst abroad; a couple of items came back in the bag while the rest will be shipped over very soon.

The first of the full train of Kernow / Dapol weathered clay tankers makes its debut behind a 66:

post-3305-0-51830500-1339395671_thumb.jpg

While the first of a trio of Kernow / Dapol weathered 22s trundles through the same scene but set almost 50 years earlier:

post-3305-0-32120000-1339395705_thumb.jpg

In addition to these a Kernow clay dries is due and will be fitted where the painted one now exists on the backscene. Future additions will include Dapol Westerns and D600 Warships as and when released. For the record I find the weathering on the JIA wagons and class 22 locos to be superb and represents accurately the real thing as seen (or as recalled in the case of the 22s) on the real railway.

My thanks to all those who braved wild weather to attend at Taunton and for the very positive comments made on my work and display there. Penhayle Bay currently holds the honour of being the most distant layout to have been represented at an RMweb event and I had it put to me at Taunton that it may also be in contention for one of the largest model railway layouts by size anywhere which has been built and operated by one person rather than as a club or group effort.

• Like 7

Hi Rick,

Welcome back, pleased to hear the layout hasn't been washed away. We have certainly had a bit of rain, Though not as much it would seem as you had over in the Uk in the first week or so.

There is a BRMA meeting 5 minutes down the road from you in Langwarrin Saturday. If you want to drop by I will give you the address.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter - good to hear from you too. You can PM me the address but with the Boss out for the evening I don't yet know what she might have planned for our first weekend together in almost three months.

Hi Peter - good to hear from you too. You can PM me the address but with the Boss out for the evening I don't yet know what she might have planned for our first weekend together in almost three months.

Nudge nudge wink wink bowchickawowwow. :locomotive: :locomotive: Well if you aren't to tired out it will be good to catch up. I will find Daves address and PM you.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

One track has been cleaned and the 22 has run light engine and loaded tests perfectly. The factory weathering looks superb with the loco on the layout; in these views D6323 has had the clip-in valences fitted but not (yet) the buffer-beam pipework.

Here she is entering Penhayle Bay under shafts of a weak mid-winter sun with a local passenger working.

post-3305-0-64121000-1339739775_thumb.jpg

The stick-on film headcode blinds are seen to good effect in the head-on shot. These glow faintly yellow under power just as the real things did when lit by a couple of incandescent bulbs.

post-3305-0-47256900-1339739814_thumb.jpg

An overhead shot as the train departs for an up-country destination with the leading coach as well as the loco being well-weathered.

post-3305-0-47782100-1339739851_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Lovely shots and good to see CL22s in their rightful place in the west country. My own China Clay layout 'Nangullow' is currently undergoing a baseboard rebuild but my ever increasing fleet of 22s will grace it as soon as it is rebuilt. Have early 'Warship' Ark Royal on order as a future edition. Being an ex Nanpean man I can say that Penhayle certainly captures Cornwall beautifully.

• Like 1

Good to see the UK - Aus exports were boosted by your visit mate! They all look great on the layout, especially the class 22. I have a strange affection for these locos though I was a toddler when they were withdrawn. I hear the ELR boys at Bury have an engine they think came from a class 22. Now all we need are some spoked wheels, diagrams, and a lottery winner to finance a new build!

It was good to catch up at Liskeard, and appropriate to toot the car horn at you getting pasties at Philps in Hayle!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Earthquake damage :O

As recorded elsewhere we suffered a Richter 5.3 earthquake on Tuesday evening. While this resulted in surprisingly little damage across the real world (thankfully - it could have been very much worse) it did cause a few of the little people on the layout to fall over.

The only other damage was the derailment of a single wheel set of one wagon which was in a siding behind a class 66 loco after some test running. The fact that it derailed at all shows the intensity of the tremor. Try replicating this by vigorously shaking your own baseboard if you wish!!!

The recovery gang was soon on hand however and matters were righted very quickly.

post-3305-0-13511000-1340261905_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-16763500-1340261940_thumb.jpg

And lastly an image which shows just how realistic the wagons concerned are. For those not familiar with them this is one of Dapol's recent JIA NACCO clay tankers in the Kernow MRC weathered limited edition range.

post-3305-0-27166800-1340262557_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Guest 34008Padstow

Glad no physical damage was done Rick. The picture of the imerys wagon reminds me slightly of the derailment at st Blazey a few years ago

Hi Rick,

Shame you couldn't make it Saturday it was a good turn out.

I like the latest pics, it's very real to see lots of railway staff about with not a lot actually happening. Reminds me a bit of when we came off the road up Eastleigh Yard. :locomotive:

Good to hear you had no real damage, I was out in the garage when it happen'd and actually heard it, it lasted about 35 secounds and rocked the garage a bit, no damage though.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann class 42 "Warship" fleet has been reviewed as I have more than enough to run any sort of timetable.

Early blue D804 (effectively a Mainline loco) has been out of traffic for a couple of years following driveshaft failure and the splitting of the plastic sleeves which held those shafts. It has not been possible to locate spares despite extensive enquiries.

D801 was one of the early pre-production and non-standard models which met an early grave and as such the model I have of that (which is a factory-weathered example appearing more pink than maroon) is to have its power unit sacrificed to return D804 to traffic. D801 will then become an unpowered dummy which can sit in withdrawn condition looking sorry for itself or possibly be used as pilot engine on a double header although D800-2 could not actually work in multiple in reality.

While setting about D801 to give it a very forlorn look I also lightly powder-weathered another of the maroon fleet, D806, to remove the "out-of-the-box" appearance and present it rather more closely resembling these locos in traffic.

D804 is now scheduled to undergo a power unit swap at the weekend and be returned to traffic. D801 will become an embarrassment trying to hide in a siding somewhere! D806 will continue to run happily alongside the numerous others of its class at Penhayle Bay and is looking forward to the arrival of its D6xx "parents" in the not too distant future.

D806 after the application of a light weathering:

post-3305-0-55117700-1340699429_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-57374600-1340699534_thumb.jpg

By contrast D801 has had a heavy coat of dirt and rust applied over the top of its unconvincing "factory squirt".

post-3305-0-35583500-1340699465_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-50169600-1340699499_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

An SR-style mixed train was spotted sneaking through the Bay with a suspiciously clean 2-6-2T in charge!

post-3305-0-42626000-1342175202_thumb.jpg

The real reason for the working was to check the weathering work on the Bulleid stock. A quick application of black and light brown powders flicked over with a 1" paintbrush and wiped lightly with a soft cloth gives this effect

post-3305-0-06068000-1342175237_thumb.jpg

While the now-withdrawn D801 rusts forlornly alongside Ponsangwyn shed and a past crew have even thrown the dregs of their tea out of the cab window.

post-3305-0-11473000-1342175290_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Time-warp photography ;) :-

1. Ponsangwyn as a small WR loco shed in earlier diesel-hydraulic days:

post-3305-0-79042500-1342757531_thumb.jpg

The green 08 and 42 and both maroon 42s carry my weathering; the 22 is factory-weathered by Dapol (Kernow MRC limited edition) though I have added a brush-over of black powder to the roof.

post-3305-0-49702300-1342757585_thumb.jpg

2. Ponsangwyn as a Cornish yard in the near-present day era handling various china-clay traffics:

post-3305-0-64579400-1342757234_thumb.jpg

Compare and contrast the weathered "silver bullets" and weathered JIA NACCOs both from Dapol as Kernow MRC limited editions and both looking superb as well as being very good runners. Both 66s carry my own weathering.

post-3305-0-61431300-1342757278_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

D1012 "Western Firebrand" has become the second of my "Western" fleet to be weathered. Seen pristine on shed in the photos above she has now been treated to a session with black, brown and buff weathering powders. The wipers and pipework are still in the detail pack and the mapping pen has yet to be applied to ease the baseball cap appearance of the roof dome but apart from that she is now presented in a fully-weathered condition much as I remember many maroon locos in traffic.

DSCN6263.jpg

DSCN6267.jpg

DSCN6271.jpg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Rick, what material have you used for the stone facing on your viaduct in post 354? Is it standard Slaters 4mm or something more exotic? I'm curious as I may need a variety of stone facings (including slaters 7mm stone) for the viaducts on my new layout.

Cheers,

Jeff