Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

It's a free house despite the sign looking a lot like a St. Austell Brewery one.

Always on : St. Austell HSD and Tribute, Paradise from the Bird-in-Hand, Hayle and Sharp's Doom Bar

Selection of guest ales as well including the occasional appearance of Braggett from the Blue Anchor, Helston

Quite a choice, I am feeling thirsty just reading the list. :D

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Some baseboard distortion has become apparent in one corner. This area got wet a couple of years ago after persistent heavy rain and had not thoroughly dried out until this month due to the regular rainfall we have been enjoying. Most of that never reached the layout but the higher humidity levels have meant a thorough dry didn't occur. Now the woodwork is completely dry it has distorted slightly - only by around 1mm - but enough to shift the track above it to the point where derailments were occurring with some stock on every trip.

The line around the top corner - between the cliffs and pine forest - has been stripped back to bare wood, the boards sanded flat and the line restored with the old track being reusable. That was easy. The tricker part was my decision to also shift the tracks around an inch farther away from the back scene and therefore also the garden fence which is the source of the rainwater penetration. That required the removal and relocation of the stone retaining walls behind Ponsangwyn Yard and, because I then lost the clearance for the loco shed, the repositioning of the two tracks in that shed as well. An intricate piece of woodworking saw a narrow curved outrigger added to the higher level track base to allow for the shift of those tracks and then the retaining wall was restored but at a lightly higher level than before.

The net effect is very little different. The operation is rather smoother. A tiny wiggle in the track along the cliffs was also straightened and has helped to improve coupler integrity on that twisting section of line.

The casual observer would hardly notice any change after the lines were repositioned and some of the scenic work restored.

DSCN3133.jpg

One giveaway is the slightly higher level of that part of retaining wall which was removed and repositioned both forwards and upwards.

DSCN3136.jpg

The gap at the bottom is being disguised by vegetation. I couldn't disguise the difference in shade between the two Bachmann "BR - SR green" coaches in the train however; that matter is the subject of discussion elsewhere in the forums.

DSCN3142.jpg

Maroon stock is under-represented in my photo collections so far so the appearance of a Warship on the cliffs was welcomed!

DSCN3147.jpg

And taken into strong sunlight (over which I have no control!) we see a Hymek running off the newly-rebuilt section onto the old. The track used to closely follow the modelled cliff line to the right of the train and curved right at the point where the old and new ballast meet. As shown it now continues straight until reaching the bend to take the line around above Ponsangwyn Yard and as a result the curve radius has been eased despite bringing the tracks closer to the centre of the layout since they no longer follow a curve tight up to the corner.

DSCN3157.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A little more work around the shed area has eliminated the "flying" stone wall and tidied up other outstanding jobs. A new weathered white fence has been installed alongside the main line and the small trees re-sited

The back of the shed looks better:

post-3305-0-22930600-1328694793_thumb.jpg

As does the front:

post-3305-0-80780000-1328694839_thumb.jpg

The GWR pannier shunts a rake of mineral wagons:

post-3305-0-25183600-1328694882_thumb.jpg

While GWR and SR rivals wait their turn to head up to the main line with the goods and china clays respectively.

post-3305-0-82827500-1328694921_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Gwiwer,

Great looking layout. The landscaping here is some of the nicest I have seen, from the beach/cliff areas, to the over-growth on the retaining walls, to station and railway yard detail etc, all very well done. The comment you wrote earlier about having 'patience' is ever so true. Another truth about railway modelling is having an 'understanding wife' !! I say you deserve that beer you have in your hand in your profile pic !!

Here's cheers to you.

Gary.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile, some 15 metres away at the other end of the layout, the farm scene has been renovated.

A new approach driveway to the farmhouse:

DSCN3451.jpg

Newly weathered pigs (!!!) and a re-sited pig barn and garage:

DSCN3450.jpg

The geese are a new arrival:

DSCN3448.jpg

The farmhouse vegetable garden is doing nicely; judging by the hives in the background there might even be honey for tea!

DSCN3439.jpg

One of the farm cats grabs an illicit snack of garbage gravy!

DSCN3441.jpg

And an overall view of Treisaacs Farm with a local train passing by.

DSCN3440.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Penhayle fishing boats have been placed in, rather than on, the water. These are both Harburn Hamlet items customised and weathered by myself and with Noch figures added. The water has been created from Magic Water overlaid with roughly applied Woodland Scenics Water Effects to give the waves and ripples; the former gives a smooth glossy finish while the latter can be sculpted and formed as shown and dries to a semi-gloss finish.

post-3305-0-37242800-1329890545_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-67551900-1329890578_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-23098200-1329890647_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-22372900-1329890613_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile an uncommon double-headed steam-hauled freight caused a stir as the BR standard and GWR pannier tanks worked hard up Nansglaw Bank

post-3305-0-83853600-1329890872_thumb.jpg

The train was then found entering Treheligan station where one of the new-fangled "oilers" was waiting on an up passenger working.

post-3305-0-67956000-1329890836_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-21010600-1329890802_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The three well tanks came out for a session today. While 30586 remained in the yard as pilot (as per its life at Wadebridge) 30585 ran the Wenford Goods and 30587 was rostered for the late duty.

The Wenford Goods arrives back at Ponsangwyn Yard with 30586 standing ready to shunt-release 30585 off the train. Click the still image here to start the video; all the rest are still images.

th_DSCN3562.jpg

The goods enters the yard behind 30585

DSCN3568.jpg

30586 on the right is ready to shunt as required

DSCN3570.jpg

30587 is prepared for the afternoon shift

DSCN3584.jpg

And with 30585 at the buffers and the crew almost at sign-off they are discussing, perhaps, which hostelry to patronise after a quick shower. Getting a loco crew of two men into these cabs has not been easy.

DSCN3588.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

They breed their men smaller in Cornwall! ;)

Actually Jeff - they do! "Proper Cornish" are often slight of stature and build but wiry and tough with it. Comes from making a hard living down the mines, at sea or on the land in a region never known for plentiful good food and personal wealth to afford it. My great uncle drove well tanks and from a distant memory was a fairly short character with a temper to match.

Glenn (sweating my a** off)

You and me both, Glenn, as we must be very close to each other and it's hot here with hotter tomorrow. Train services may be suspended tonight while I head off to the beach for a swim.

You and me both, Glenn, as we must be very close to each other and it's hot here with hotter tomorrow. Train services may be suspended tonight while I head off to the beach for a swim.

Yeah, too hot in the train room for me. Im in Cranbourne meself, went down to Seaford to cool off earlier, very nice, although bit too hot on sand!! Enjoy your swim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few hiccups to report since last time.

Short version : one of the transformers in the Morley Vortrak controller stopped working without warning. Everything was normal one day, turned off and unplugged as usual and powered up the next. Of the four outputs one no longer functioned and of course it had to be the one linked to the CDU didn't it? I traced it to a fault in the unit as opposed to on the layout as it didn't clear when the controller was disconnected from all outputs and only had mains input. One of its four transformers has somehow burned out.

I have re-wired the affected track output through an old Gaugemaster unit which has only been powering the lighting in recent months. I have also re-wired the points through the uncontrolled output on the back of this unit which means everything works again but there is no CDU in the circuit for now. The cost to send the Morley back, have it repaired and returned to me would be close to the cost of a brand new unit making that not a realistic option when three of its four transformers and outputs still work perfectly.

Then returning home yesterday evening after 48 hours of very windy and wet weather I found a large amount of the greenery had been torn up and strewn around, numerous little people and some smaller scenic items had been moved by as much as a metre and there was a huge amount of bird poo everywhere on the track and scenery.

It didn't take long to find a storm-dazed blackbird inside one of the tunnels and with a nest part-built from the greenery off the layout!!! It took some time to get him out and then to shoo him away into what was by then the dark of night. It took a while to restore the greenery and clear up the loose debris but it took a lot longer to remove the poo. I counted over 30 "events" up and down the track and on the scenery. The solids came up in the portable vacuum cleaner but the residue had soaked in and left stains. The occasional previous dropping has taught me that these deposits can be largely removed with the wet-water spray and a stiff brush but there is always a little disturbance especially to ballast which then needs making good.

After a couple of hours clearing up this morning I was able to run trains once more.

The SWT class 170 is not a common sight on my layout but was snapped here disappearing into the tunnel while a VT cross-country train comes around the curve beneath the church.

120313.jpg

Sunlight on the Virgin train and on the wedding party at the church despite the grey skies beyond.

120314.jpg

Freights pass at Darras Ground Frame. The cement wagons are taken up the hill by a 47 while a pair of 37s coast down with the "bulletliner" china-clay slurry working. This image also shows the sweeping curves including across the viaduct; one straight parapet is visible in the top distance but compare the track running alongside it.

120317.jpg

A close-up of the "tractors" passing the tiny Darras emergency frame. Both carry my own light weathering.

120319.jpg

A more recent style of Sir Richard's Red Trains as a Voyager class 221 calls at Penhayle Bay in the evening light.

120331.jpg

A different angle on the Voyager and the "London end" of the up platform showing some of the groundwork details and the functional lighting which is glinting off the train.

120329.jpg

Finally the Voyager is seen emerging from the tunnel exit from the fiddle yard alongside a country lane featuring an equally typical Cornish country minibus operated by Western Greyhound.

120326.jpg

• Like 5

I have followed this thread for a long time, apparently without adding my compliments! (Though I think I may have done on the old RMWeb)

I love the variety, operational interest and detail that you have managed to get into this layout. It also represents one of my favourite areas of the country extremely well.

I must say that I'm rather jealous! :)

• Like 1

Rick, no good about the black bird... though your tunnell must have been inviting to escape the crazy weather. I have a project very close to you at the moment at Frankston Heights Primary school! SO I will be down your way at least twice a week... though at an hour that I would dare not drop in as it will usually be a unsocialable hour! I will be in touch if anything is being thrown out that you might have a use for!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is now very little more that I wish to do to this layout. A couple of small gaps need to be filled and work is under way to do that. Instead I will now concentrate on enjoying the operation and take a little more time over weathering of the rolling stock. The layout has also gained the unusual distinction of being booked to be a party venue next month with "Afternoon tea to be served in Pullman-car style on the Penhayle Bay Railway". That will be something different!!!

After that event I shall be packing the layout away for an extended hibernation during my forthcoming overseas travels and from which I do not return until the depths of our winter. That is not the best time to be working outside although after a decent clean the layout will still be running regularly.

One of the tasks to be carried out on my travels is photo-research for the new layout which will then enter the design stage during our winter and spring, around July onwards. That has not been discussed in here previously but one or two members have an inkling of what it will be. It is my intention to build to a higher standard with the aim of being able to exhibit a moveable layout within perhaps two years from now.

In the meantime an unusual visit from a Crompton featured in today's running seen leading a mixed bag of parcel vans up through Penhayle Towans:

post-3305-0-11026100-1331459233_thumb.jpg

Captured broadside on crossing Darras Viaduct

post-3305-0-73935400-1331459327_thumb.jpg

And then there were two! Clearly a different loco (the one above is a "bagpipe 33/1 and this one isn't) here the Southern has to wait in the loop as the Western gets precedence.

post-3305-0-78332000-1331459278_thumb.jpg

And slipping briefly through a time-warp here is the IC-livery HST which now features weathered power cars as shown in the woods.

post-3305-0-04139000-1331459370_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Rick,

I do like 33112 I remember seeing it with it's Templecombe nameplates and crests. Is that your weathering? looks good.

Sounds like you have quite a trip planned, is the new layout going to be something Southern with third rail?

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Peter - the weathering is my own, yes.

The new layout will be SR-themed and feature quite well-known actual locations this time (hence the need for a research trip) and it will have third rail. I hope to be able to have that as the power source for appropriate trains. The intention is to build on three portable boards which could be transported in the back of the car if I was to be invited to exhibit.

I'm not really setting myself any challenges, am I?

• RMweb Premium

Today the entire rake of CDA china-clay hoppers was weathered. AIM and Carrs powders were applied and fixed with cheap hair spray. The effect has transformed shiny Hornby plastic into a work-stained train which could easily be creaking and groaning its way up to Parkandillack or Treviscoe.

DSCN3754.jpg

DSCN3728.jpg

I also started weathering the second HST following the work to the IC livery power cars. The Merlin power cars are also now a little less like shiny plastic.

DSCN3714.jpg

The two sets pass on Darras Viaduct.

DSCN3746.jpg

Below which the muddy slime of low tide glistens in the sun.

DSCN3748.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rick,

I've finally found time to have a proper read through this thread and I have to say you've done a fantastic job. What really impresses me is that the layout still looks right irrespective of what Era you are running. Brilliant!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A further session with the HST sets has resulted in a better look on the Merlin power cars and all 20 roofs (2 x 2+8 sets) weathered. Only the trailers below the roof line to go!

DSCN3786.jpg

DSCN3785.jpg

Trains pass at Penhayle Bay

DSCN3788.jpg

And when did this set last go through the washer?

DSCN3808.jpg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 7

Guest 34008Padstow

Lovely weathering on the HST rick.43002 is my favourite power car. Was the first one i travelled behind and the last one before she was MTU'd.