Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

Thanks Peter. Glad you enjoyed it.

I particularly like your shot of the blue Warship pulling out ahead of the green one. Those shunt signals are a new addition as well - only put in two days before your visit - and make that view a lot more realistic.

No worries Rick,

I do like the old warships your locos really look the part. I did notice the shunt signals they certainly add to the realism. You have added a lot of fine detail since I last saw the layout in the flesh, your backscenes bring the whole thing together though, superb.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another fine warm day - officially the first of our summer - saw the BR blue theme being paraded.

First a recently-weathered 50 runs through Penhayle Bay

DSCN6954_zps3c2b6e8c.jpg

Detail of the front end which until this morning was in "out of the box" condition.

DSCN6952_zpsa152006d.jpg

Then in a classic Cornish view from the "Blue Diesel Days" D1023 eases the clay hoods around the curves and with the brakes hard on having come down the steep gradient through the sand dunes from the summit.

DSCN6960_zps29ef13b7.jpg

A rare daylight appearance by the TPO on the cliffs

DSCN6976_zps15698f93.jpg

Another view of that 50 this time on Darras Viaduct

DSCN6957_zps91df85fb.jpg

And finally the clays squeal through Penhayle Tunnel and around onto the cliffs above the sea.

DSCN6962_zps1640252d.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Peter

One or two young 'uns via the Facebook page have suggested their fathers could do a better job and were promptly put in their place by older folk! ;)

• RMweb Premium

Definitely operating under the provisions of Rule 1 and surely a case of "Pictures or it didn't happen" ;)

Well after dark and probably not witnessed by too many spotters a class 17 Clayton creeps through Penhayle Bay on the china clays :O :o :O

DSCN6987_zps9190eb28.jpg

After arrival at the dries

DSCN6990_zps5a0d177e.jpg

And after shunting some of the wagons

DSCN6983_zps32f3540e.jpg

Claytons were gone before the blue hoods arrived and neither would have run within several hundred miles of the other anyway. But I have always had an affection for the type and have just this one usually kept as a test loco and seldom used on trains or shown in public. It copes with 20 hoods supremely well including at very slow speeds and I thought the body style also somehow fitted quite comfortably with the operation and scenery.

Ah well - it's Christmas isn't it? :jester:

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A new arrival - ultimately intended for the new layout though running on that is probably 18-24 months away - has been run in and photographed on Penhayle Bay. I can think of a few others here as well as myself who might appreciate the green Crompton seen on its loaded test run and having already gained a first application of weathering.

Broadside on the viaduct:

post-3305-0-14096200-1354609297_thumb.jpg

And face to the setting sun:

post-3305-0-20385800-1354609317_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have had a couple of locos used for test purposes and owned simply because I like them for some time. One of those is the class 17 "Clayton" which has been pictured here once or twice. An opportunity recently arose to acquire a running mate for it which suits prototypical operation as they were only 900hp machines and often ran in pairs. So 8601 in green has joined the fleet officially as an additional test loco. The number series matches its blue buddy D8606 as both are from the later "blue star" control gear batch and can therefore legitimately run in multiple both with each other and with any other blue star loco I choose to employ!

Making its maiden appearance after initial acceptance testing, fitting of couplers and weathering 8601 (which oddly lacks a D-prefix despite its green livery) is seen as second loco behind D8606 (which does have a D despite being in the final blue livery worn by only some of the class!)

A "Rule 1" train ...... ;)

DSCN7052_zps2748cd8b.jpg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 6

I like the green 'Crompton' - like your blue 50 it is rather nicely weathered.

I was going to suggest that Clayton needed a companion, if only to make sure the train got to its destination! It looks like you read my mind, Rick! ;)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jeff. The green Clayton has been on my wish list for some time simply because it is a natural companion for the first one.

In a spare moment I have also weathered the large-logo 50 with the following results:

Seen awaiting its next duty at the clay dries

post-3305-0-75824800-1355626755_thumb.jpg

and in the sun at the open end of the layout

post-3305-0-58385700-1355626793_thumb.jpg

I'm not quite happy with the effect around the yellow cab sides and on parts of the roof but it's a reasonable start. These locos were sometimes in traffic in the most appalling external condition which was matched only by the worst of the diesel-hydraulics in the early 1970s.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Moving away from the trains themselves here's a look up Station Road to the pub where the evening bus has stopped for passengers

DSCN7114_zps221e9aa3.jpg

The street lighting creates an illusion of there being internal lighting in the bus itself which is not the case.

DSCN7130_zps0dd4f842.jpg

And seen from the road Treheligan station sees GW150-liveried 47079 calling with a Pullman charter in the evening light

DSCN7119_zps18c477f5.jpg

• Like 8

Lovely atmosphere in those shots, Rick.

One thing I have done with my earlier EFE buses such as that Bristol LS is to get a silver gel marker or paint pen with a fine tip and pick out the windscreen surrounds and side window vents. It's worth doing when you can find the time between all your other modelling projects, even if you only pick out the windscreen edges. Later models come with these already done.

Keep up the brilliant work. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A Dirty Blue New Year from Penhayle Bay!!!

Two blue 22s on Darras Viaduct; D6328 in the lead wears my own weathering while 6330 behind is a Kernow factory weathered example

DSCN7143_zps465df79c.jpg

22s on the vans.  A mix of my own and professional weathering featured.

DSCN7144_zps0d1780e1.jpg

One dirty Warship:  D804 on the goods with the loco carrying my own weathering while the wagons are professionally done

DSCN7142_zps7a41fa89.jpg

Another dirty Warship : 870 on a mixed parcels rake with the entire train carrying my own weathering.

DSCN7148_zps12878660.jpg

Warships - Two Different Ones.  The pair shown above meet at Treheligan station.

DSCN7150_zps1d8b5c25.jpg

• Like 11

The 50 looks great weathered mate. The blend of coating on the grey is difficult to achieve and you've nailed it. I have found the 50s look better if you tone down the garish orange on the jumper cables. They are too red/orange rather than yellow/orange if that makes sense. This toning down brings the front to life.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

First train of the year!

A rather dirty maroon Warship double-heads with a much cleaner blue one and takes full advantage of the natural sunlight and shadows cast over Penhayle Bay late in the afternoon of January 1st 2013.

130009_zpsc2ea23ff.jpg

Sun reflects off the locos in a going-away view as they lean to the curves through the station.

130011_zps570454aa.jpg

Climbing through the woods and above the yard at Ponsangwyn which is home to a green 08 and a very sad-looking D801 in withdrawn condition.

130007_zpsd2059a46.jpg

"If the branch train stopped at the right spot and if a double-header just happened to come past on the main line ..... "  with Carreglyb Dries in the background and the tunnel leading to the fiddle yard beneath the gorse-covered hill.

130004_zps49d67d1c.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

A good start to the new year, Rick! Nice to see those hydraulics being put through their paces... Immediately reminds me that - maybe - we'll have the Kernow Warship in the relatively near future.

Best wishes for the coming year!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm a bit late to this topic, but love the pictures :sungum:

You're never late at Penhayle Bay.  You arrive exactly at the right time to enjoy!  Welcome aboard ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A good start to the new year, Rick! Nice to see those hydraulics being put through their paces... Immediately reminds me that - maybe - we'll have the Kernow Warship in the relatively near future.

Best wishes for the coming year!

Jeff

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I speak out of turn but the Kernow / Dapol D600 Warships may not be with us for many months yet although hopefully during 2013.