Project for a madman - Port Penrhyn in 3mm scale

RichardJones

Yes, a mad man I am! However this is a watered down project compared to what I initially thought of doing. I love my narrow gauge, and I love my standard gauge so I had to think of something that would bring the two together. I feel really guilty making up layouts when there is so much wonderful prototype out there so I begun thinking. In 2mm finescale, I could make a model of the Padarn Railway using 8mm gauge track, and conceivably make the NG on 4mm track but non operable. Trouble is the interchange yard at Gilfach Ddu would be a massive challenge to model, especially actual transfers at the loading dock as it was all done by hand. Not easy tpo model working figures pushing wagons in 2mm scale! So that idea got shelved.

I then thought of various 4mm scale NG projects, but didn't really want to have several separate layouts with no interchangeability. Then the compromise hit me! 3mm scale! A Nice jump up in size from 2mm to make locomotive construction for Standard gauge much easier, yet still small enough to keep fairly compact (read very compact - I'm re using the Blodwell junction boards, that project being put on hold pending a decision on converting that to 3mm scale too).

But what about prototype? Well I happened across a couple of photos of Port Penrhyn in the 50s, with a standard 2 shunting on the standard gauge and the large Hunslet on the narrow gauge along side and well I just have to recreate it!

The trackplan has proved tricky - the alignment of the NG track changed a fair bit, However by narrowing the time period down to post WW2 It's possible to get a reasonably accurate model in a very small space.

post-15796-0-49165500-1350481802_thumb.png

Now how about that for a mad layout? It's only rough, the NG crossing on the left will not be included but the one on the right will and a few clearances need adjusting.

I will work out how to make stub points in templot one day, but for roughing out purposes small radius normal ones have been used.

On the locomotive front I've already half finished drawing up the plans for 'Charles' which inlcudes a fully ballraced drivetrain achieving 95:1 reduction with no cab protrusion!

It will bankrupt me building it, but it'll be worth it! (Estimated costs for 1 NG loco run at around £250!)

Right I have more cork to lay...

Well this is looking a rather fascinating project to say the least. It just happens to be one of my favourite locations so I will certainly add this to my watch list. I would love to see the photographs from the 1950's you mention any chance you can post them up please?

Good luck with this and at those estimated costs I might have to sub you a tenner :O .

• RMweb Premium

Hello Richard

great idea for a layout, by coincidence it was the photo of Linda and the 2MT at Port Penrhyn that started me modelling narrow gauge. I decided to build a section of the Quay in 4mm, and despite buying kits for the locos I've never taken it any further. I will watch you with great interest, though, good luck.

Alex.

This is an interesting prototype and will make a great model. I admire you taking up the challenge of 3mm scale though! I know I wouldn't have the patience or skills. What gauges will be using? 6mm and 14.2mm for fidelity, or 6.5mm and 12mm for better commercial support? You will need watchmaker skills to make a "quarry Hunslet" in 3mm, they are tiny enough in 4mm scale...

Of course 4mm scale would be a much easier option, Parkside Dundas make kits for the large Hunslets while Brian Madge has recently released a kit for the quarry Hunslets, all with correct outside frames, kits for some of the other locos are available too. Parkside also do plastic kits for quarryman's coaches and some wagons. And of course the SG stuff will be much easier too!

So I presume you relish the challenge - one I'll be watching!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard,

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

The 4mm scale NG Porth Penrhyn was one of the very first exhibition pieces we saw at the Porthmadog NG Show a few years ago.

There's talk about Jo/e Public not knowing much about model railways, well this layout was a good introduction.

A 3mm Penrhyn will go down very nicely.

Archived