Porth Penrhyn

trains12

Hi all

I have stared this new topic on my narrow gauge layout in a layout topic as I cannot get around these Blogs. Any way the layout is based on Porth Penrhyn which was the harbour site of the Penrhyn Railway bringing the slate down from the Quarries. It is 4mm scale with SMP and hand made points for the standard gauge track and 009 track all hand made using Copper Clad for the narrow gauge track.

The shots that have been taken and are on here where taken by Jamie ( I have permission to use them) some time ago but since then some of the buildings have been completed and others replaced or in the process of being.

If there is interest in it I will continue with up dates.

It is going to the Porthmadog Show next year in May.

Peter

post-6915-12581216952383_thumb.jpg

post-6915-12581217487213_thumb.jpg

post-6915-12581218267558_thumb.jpg

post-6915-12581218448921_thumb.jpg

post-6915-12581218645495_thumb.jpg

post-6915-12581218872735_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter,

This looks terrific, 009 built to scale. It looks huge, what are the dimensions?

The trackwork looks very effective, I particularly like the diamond crossings. Do you have any more pics of the movable flat crossing? I would be interested to see how you did this.

All the best,

Dave.T

There certainly is interest here - please continue with the updates.

Any more details on stock?

Hi Kenton

Thanks for the comments. Stock at present is very limited. At the time I started the layout a friend had a lot of stock which I was going to use but he has since moved to the other end of the country so I am having to sort out new stock. I have the small railcar which is now forty six years old and still going. It was made together with another one by myself and the late David Lloyd of Railway Modeller fame, in 1963 when we built a small 009 layout. There was an article in Model Railway News on the building of these together with two of my other engines that I have. I have just forgotten what the original make was. There are also two small diesel locos and an old kit built Hunslet of which the chassis is bust.:unsure: To make is a Linda, a Glyn Valley engine, and another. The rolling stock is an assortment of kit built and some RTR. To build is a lot of Parkside oo9 kits of slate wagons and coaches. I will have to get my finger out over the next few months and get building.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

This looks terrific, 009 built to scale. It looks huge, what are the dimensions?

The trackwork looks very effective, I particularly like the diamond crossings. Do you have any more pics of the movable flat crossing? I would be interested to see how you did this.

All the best,

Dave.T

Hi Dave

The layout at present is 12ft long by 2ft 6in wide with a 4ft long fiddle yard. but there is another 4ft board that has not been finished which has the joint bridge ie both the 2ft and the standard track side by side on it. When this is finished the layout can be offered at eeither 16ft or 20ft. The flying crossing is being rebuilt. The one shown was not very good in operation. The new one is going to be a copy of one that was used on a layout built in 1963/4 and uses a cam it lift the 2ft track up as a hand wheel is turned and then drops it inbetween the standard gauge track. :)

Hope this is ok for you will post some shots when it is finished but it will be while as we have to get Great Tunsley Dale finished and kinmundy for our (SCMRG) show in 3 weeks time.

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Very nice layout biggrin.gif

A lot of track unsure.gif

Are you planning on building some boats? I think some would really compliment the layout.

Looking forward to seeing more updates, especially when you get some more stock built.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Very nice layout biggrin.gif

A lot of track unsure.gif

Are you planning on building some boats? I think some would really compliment the layout.

Looking forward to seeing more updates, especially when you get some more stock built.

Hi Jason

Yes I am building some boat to fit on the layout but it is time. I have a small tramp type boat that I use on Porth Eithin Layout which is my China Clay layout and I am going to alter that so that it can be used on both. One problem that I have is plans. Even in The Railway Study Centre I do not have any ship plans or details on ships. It is an area that most be rectified at some stage but in the mean time have been trying to find plans on small sail boats and tramps that came to take the slate away.

Peter

post-6915-12584530051065_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Wow, crackin' piece of work. Love the way the narrow gauge tracks weave in and out all over the place. Lots of operational interest there as well as huge scenic potential with the docks and water. :) :)

Cheers

Dave

Hi All...

Some Extra Pictures of the Layout...Peter does an excellent Job!

EnJoy...!

Hi all

I must add that a lot of these shots that Jamie has taken were done just after we had had the layout out of storage after the last time it was out. You will have noticed that a number of buildings are absent ie the Harbour/Port Office and the Round Toilet ( the outside Das had fallen off) both of of which had been broken during storage and are being re made I have also noticed that a bridge buttress is missing (now found and repaired) and also the crane which I had not noticed.:huh: This will duly be done. Thanks Jamie for these shots. Must get one of these small Digital cameras.

Peter

Wow! Always wanted to see a layout of this so this is very interesting!

Have you heard about the Parkside Dundas RTR chassis that they are producing for Linda, Charles and Blanche in 009? Is the Linda that you have to build the tank version, one of the Penrhyn ladies (and Charles) would look great on this layout!

Look forward to seeing more!

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I must add that a lot of these shots that Jamie has taken were done just after we had had the layout out of storage after the last time it was out. You will have noticed that a number of buildings are absent ie the Harbour/Port Office and the Round Toilet ( the outside Das had fallen off) both of of which had been broken during storage and are being re made I have also noticed that a bridge buttress is missing (now found and repaired) and also the crane which I had not noticed.huh.gif This will duly be done. Thanks Jamie for these shots. Must get one of these small Digital cameras.

Peter

We've all been there! Theres nothing like a photographic session to draw attention to all the little damaged or missing bits that we don't otherwise notice.

Stocking a layout this size is going to be quite a task, how many slate wagons would you need? Or do you have a team of freinds who can supply stock for operating sessions?

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

This is stonking stuff - the very antithesis of the "Me too!" layouts so many of us churn out! Adore the mixed-gauge crossings - never seen those modelled like that before. So pleased to see a reference to David Lloyd - his Auger Valley Irish NG layout captivated me when it appeared in the April '64 Modeller. North Wales Narrow Gauge is having a huge boost at present thanks to the WHR, so presenting your model is very timely I suspect. I hope the stock and loco position gets sorted soonest without subsequent bankruptcy! Please keep us advised!

This is stonking stuff - the very antithesis of the "Me too!" layouts so many of us churn out! Adore the mixed-gauge crossings - never seen those modelled like that before. So pleased to see a reference to David Lloyd - his Auger Valley Irish NG layout captivated me when it appeared in the April '64 Modeller. North Wales Narrow Gauge is having a huge boost at present thanks to the WHR, so presenting your model is very timely I suspect. I hope the stock and loco position gets sorted soonest without subsequent bankruptcy! Please keep us advised!

Hi Ian

Thank you for the comments. The Auger Valley was built by myself and David in 1960/61 David did the buildings, wiring and stock I did all the scenery and both of us laid the track After david got married to Ann in I think 1962 he gave me the layout less stock other than my own Zuric? tank engine which still have. When the article came out in April 1964 I owned the layout and had done a lot of work to finish it which had not been done when the photos had been taken. Up to us moving from Chorlton Manchester the layout was up and running at the old Railway Study Centre. Here in Wales at the New Railway Study Centre it was placed in store but unfortunately in 2001 the Centre was flooded and most of the layout was damaged beyond repair. :icon_sad: I still have the main station boards and three others but all are covered in mildrew etc. I do not have the heart to scrap them as it was the first real model of Irish NG that we created. And I think it reminds me of what David tought me in modelling.

With regardind the timing of puting this on the web it is because the main exhibition layout Great Tunsley Dale (see in layout topics) is nearly finished and this is the next one to complete. I just have to model.

Peter

• Like 1