20001 on Pullman Train 1952

slilley

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby's were regular haulers of the royal train on Derby race day. The train would be made up from 3 or 4 Pullman coaches. Could this photo be of this working? They were used on this duty until they were withdrawn in the early 70's. To be replaced by Stratford class 31s, D5518 and D5520. The reason the SR could not provide locos for this duty, after the Class 70 were withdrawn, was the Pullmans were steam heated. The Hornby's had a boiler on board, hence their use during the 50s and 60s. It is not always hot in June....well it wasn't this year.

• RMweb Gold

The headcode is Vic or Battersea Yard to Epsom Downs via Mitcham Junction. How about ECS off the Royal on Derby Day, being returned to Eardley Sidings? It might actually be a Derby Day special, but not the royal, obviously, with that headcode.

• 2 years later...

I'd go for Derby Day special, but not Royal, for two reasons:

- I think that HMQ travelled to Tattenham Corner, rather than Epsom Downs;

- the paper train number in the cab window looks like something that I know was routinely used in the sorting out trains, platforms, stabling etc, but the Royal Train was "above all that", in that it was utterly distinctive.

K

• RMweb Gold

I'd go for Derby Day special, but not Royal, for two reasons:

- I think that HMQ travelled to Tattenham Corner, rather than Epsom Downs;

- the paper train number in the cab window looks like something that I know was routinely used in the sorting out trains, platforms, stabling etc, but the Royal Train was "above all that", in that it was utterly distinctive.

K

She travelled to Tattenham Corner but returned from Epsom Downs (I don't know why). So this is presumably the ECS working between Tattenham and Epsom Downs.

But I suppose it might equally be a race day special for some other top bods.

Aha!

I knew that the train returned ECs from Tattenham Corner, but I thought that the Royal Party returned to London by road - in fact I'm pretty certain that was the case in the 1970s - I dint know that were Up Royals from Epsom in BR days.

K

Archived