Coldgunners O gauge thread

Coldgunner

Strange question, I've now fitted the buffers etc. In the to and fro of doing that I noticed that one of the steps has become bent. I've bent it back to shape but there is a fracture on one side that if it bends again, it'll snap. Is there a way I can fill the crack or otherwise re-inforce the part to stop it breaking off? Will tinning the back act as filler or is there a better method?

As promised, here's some updated pictures. Whole loco has been resprayed. It had grey undercoat applied over the top of the matt black, with black satin as the top layer. Its has had four coats now:

Grey undercoat

Matt black

Grey undercoat

Satin black

The only bit that I've not done and still shows grey is under the boiler. There are some details I've deliberately not added to the loco so it is unprototypical. I ruined the original white metal buffers when it was dropped a few months ago, I replaced these with brass equivalents. The only 'functional' thing left is the coupling hooks, for which I'll get replacements to improve the etches, which I don't like. The buffer beams also need a second lick of paint.

Enjoy!

9649300624_08ab7c9d53_c.jpg
M1090003 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

9649299948_ba82af3b0f_c.jpg
M1090002 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

9646067385_e3dd3db118_c.jpg
M1090001 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

Photographing indoors with both flash off and on has not done it justice.

• 3 months later...

My mojo is back!

I'm rather unsatisfied with the etched coupling hooks, so I need to make an enquiry as to where to locate some good cast ones that will hold up? I checked a couple of usual suppliers and nothing cropped up in my quick search. Can someone point me in the right direction?

• RMweb Gold

My mojo is back!

I'm rather unsatisfied with the etched coupling hooks, so I need to make an enquiry as to where to locate some good cast ones that will hold up? I checked a couple of usual suppliers and nothing cropped up in my quick search. Can someone point me in the right direction?

CPL products do what are in my opinion the best 7mm scale couplings.

• 1 month later...

I located a set from Gladiator.

I'm going to finish this loco off at the weekend. There is very little left to do. I don't think I'm going to bother with the brake rigging as I don't want to interfere with the wiring already in place, or otherwise jeapordise my chassis. The chassis damn well runs! I just need to fit coupling hooks and finish of the wagons I have. Locomotive liveries I guess are as easy as you make them. I'm going to leave it black as it may look garish if I try something brighter. The thoughts are wandering onto what the next loco will be, maybe another small tank. I do feel brave though...

The thought of eventually moving up to build an epic like an A3, not quite as daunting as it felt last year.

I guess one of my final questions is thus...

Fixing a nameplate to a painted surface, should I still do this with solder and the backside tinned, or plain old glue?

No pictures yet, will do some at the weekend. Couplings are secured in place and now she can pull a train if need be. Not entirely sure if my technique for fitting the hooks were correct, but the important thing is that the functional model is done. A few minor cosmetic enhancements to finish and a bit of tidying up. I've opted to leave the brake rodding out. I feel as if I should have done it earlier and any retroactive work would ruin the model.

I can honestly say now I am the owner of an O gauge 0-4-0, which is DCC fitted. Pics to follow later in the week. Now to decide what kit next, I'm feeling brave...

JLTRT Pannier perhaps?!?

JLTRT Pannier perhaps?!?

A JLTRT 57XX Pannier was my second loco kit after Nellie. It was a bit of a shock, even with the resin casting for the boiler, smokebox and tanks. There are a lot of overlays and the bunker is quite tricky. Their 8750 Pannier kit has a resin cab which may be a better option for a second loco kit.

You might be better off trying a few brass wagon kits to help build your confidence.

• 11 months later...

Yes, it's coming together to look like a loco now - well done.

"Need to wipe some of the excess solder away"

If I may make a suggestion: it looks as if the solder has not really flowed properly so, rather than try to wipe it away, you would do better to reflux the joint and use a more powerfull soldering iron to remelt the solder and to allow time for it to flow well into and along the joints.  My expectation would be that you have no excess solder but that which you have would be better and more evenly deployed.

David

Hi what size soldering iron is the best to go for with 7mm brass kits.

Cheers

Guest Isambarduk

"Hi what size soldering iron is the best to go for with 7mm brass kits."

Well, if I could have only one, I would be a bit stuck to be honest! 

Much of the time, I use a 25W Antex iron but there are occasions when I need to bring in more heat and so I use my 40W Antex (and very occasionally, my 80W comes out of hibernation); for small 'every day' tasks, I use my 15W Antex.  However, most importantly of all, I run these irons on a Variac but a lighting dimmer/switch is just as effective and a lot less expensive - see the recent postings in the thread at: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58132-dock-green/?p=1728093 - this allows you to control the temperature to avoid over oxidation of the bit and also to be able to work effectively with lower melting point solders.

Hope this helps.  David

• 10 months later...

Gah, the bug has bitten me again! Got back into working on some of these models and got myself a loop of Peco set track for some hard-floor running. Been looking at my various options so far and I'm seriously considering picking up a LIMA 4F to bolster the growing fleet. I'd have to chop off the couplings and fit a hook and chain, that's easy. Has anyone DCC fitted one and how easy was it?

Picked up a SR cattle van (Parkside Dundas) which I'm working on. I think I like working on wagons as I can cock them up a bit, and just make them look a bit "worn" to cover it up!

Will trying and get some pictures up soon.

Guest Isambarduk

"I'm seriously considering picking up a LIMA 4F ... Has anyone DCC fitted one and how easy was it?"

Ooooh, I think I would caution against that idea.  After your success with your nifty little home-grown 0-4-0T, I think you'd only be disappointed with the 4F that is rather under scale and has a pretty poor motor, even by the standards of the day - and that day was a long time ago.  If you don't want to start with another kit, why not look for something second-hand (kit-built) that has more potential and tinker with that?

Just my thoughts,   David

I should try and get along to one of the shows and try and pick up another loco. A tender loco like a Hall would be a nice addition, but I'm not overly flush atm (why did I pick this scale?!?). I guess I should focus on Ivor a little more, not much to do other than a bit of fettling and finishing the livery.

/me starts looking at terriers...

• 1 year later...

Well, I figured I should revive this thread as the O gauge collection has grown somewhat. I think a little update is in order. I now have track. Peco set-track to be exact. Its a single loop with the two sets of points for sidings. This is pretty easy to set up on the living room floor when the mood takes a fancy. A little intruduction to the fleet I suppose...

First of all the Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0. This is the Forest Green version, I am debating attaching the Wissington nameplates. But at the moment she is stock with a basic DCC decoder fitted.

34825169003_541cdc5b2f_c.jpgDSC_7640 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

The next loco is William herself (him?). Being my first kit build I made mistakes, but it is a functioning loco, albeit temperamental. She runs ok once the motor is warmed up.

35466084872_602f0465b8_c.jpgDSC_7628 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

The third entry on this list is the Dapol 08. She is a solid performer. Again DCC fitted, its by far the smoothest and quietest runner I have.

34825233873_9f23907f77_c.jpgDSC_7615 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

Next, LMS 6202, the Turbomotive. I bought this loco as a non-runner from eBay. Upon delivery I found that she did in fact run really well and I'm a little perplexed as to why it was advertised as a non-runner. Its clearly unfinished, but mostly done. She runs but she will not navigate the set-track curves. I've had to do some work on her. I've since fitted a new coupling to the front and installed the correct oval buffer type. She's made of brass and the base coat is essentialy done. I've touched up a few scratch marks and tidied up the front end. I have also got her DCC fitted. I needed to fabricate a new drawbar for the coupling and I fitted the tender handrails. She is sprung on the front two drivers and electrical pickup is only on the 6 driving wheels, but because they are sprung, electrical pickup is really good.

34825234943_26af823212_c.jpgM1700002 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

35634282785_41e6a82726_c.jpgDSC_0252 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

35503989221_c590a745a7_c.jpgDSC_0335 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

Finally, Ivor of course!

35594825816_66216b9613_c.jpgDSC_7637 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

A functional loco with some detail to finish.

Last of all is my Warley purchase. I picked up the two LSWR coaches for £100 (the pair), which I'm told is a good deal. These will navigate 2nd radius set-track with an extra coupling link. I think they are Meteor kits and are dated from 1978! They make for a good branch line set.

34825237493_8f2dbd4dcc_c.jpgDSC_7642 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

I've also been working on some wagons...

24T GWR 6-Wheel toad

35503991191_10666796eb_c.jpgDSC_0231 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

I've also been working on wagons...

35634279995_088e05daaf_c.jpgDSC_0355 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

BR 21T Coal hopper (unfinished)

35634279875_5ae2528006_c.jpgDSC_0385 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

Archived