Shock! Horror! WF does Midland and L&Y!

• RMweb Gold

Look you lot, I can go off people you know... :no:  :scratchhead:

Almost there, just a bit of tidying up around the dome and maybe the R/H handrail then it will be ready for some paint and then on to completing the chassis when I get a motor and gearbox. 

post-7104-0-19149900-1396386437_thumb.jpg

Studying the photo linked to earlier the vacuum pipe seems to be on the 'wrong' side and I discovered after I had soldered the lubricator to the footplate (between the splashers, R/H side) that it didn't have one there... :scratchhead:

post-7104-0-77924200-1396386447_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I've thrown a bit of paint at the loco body tonight with an airbrush, Vallejo 'Model Air' black and it seems to have turned out ok. As this dried quickly I've also got a couple of coats of red on the buffer beam.

post-7104-0-35619600-1396906006_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Decided to try and get this finished, I also decided to build it to EM after all. Not the easiest of tasks as there was a lot of material to remove behind the splashers, the tender frames needed moving out about 1.5mm each, but it runs now and quite nicely. 

With the wheels being quite old, the flanges were rather deep so these were 'turned' down by mounting a wheel on an axle and in the cordless drill then pulling the trigger with one hand and working the flange with a file with the other.

post-7104-0-49424800-1407795222_thumb.jpg

I last did this type of crankpin ablut 13 years ago!

post-7104-0-66737100-1407795164_thumb.jpg

Material removed to build to EM gauge.

post-7104-0-34278000-1407795169_thumb.jpg

Tender frames before moving.

post-7104-0-09990800-1407795178_thumb.jpg

Rods on.

post-7104-0-75895500-1407795181_thumb.jpg

Body on.

post-7104-0-52406700-1407795187_thumb.jpg

Hi,  I have the Craftsman version of the Lanky Class 28 - everything etched including running plate and chassis. Not yet started and Im in the process of bringing all the necessary bits together. I'd be interested in the motor-gearbox setup you used. The Craftsman instructions show a plate in the chassis to mount a D11 in the traditional fashion (no gearbox/mounting plate as such) presumably driving the middle axle. Your solution looks a lot more elegant. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

WOW! That was quick...

The Midland 1F has only just hit the shops and when I saw one I decided I had to have one. It has of course been turned into something different - built from a photo in 'Locomotives Illustrated 125', the Ross pop safety valves have been replaced with some open Ramsbottom ones, W/M casting of unknown origin and I've added a tarpaulin frame over the cab and bunker from brass wire, this goes nicely with the rolled up tarp that fits onto the roof.

post-7104-0-58065700-1409761130_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-10969000-1409761139_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-54028300-1409761148_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Good morning all

An interesting thread, as I had never heard of WESTWARD kits.

I'm a LNER fan (NER GNR GCR), but have a soft spot for the L&Y 0-8-0s. They go well with the NER 0-8-0s, basic, brutish, and black. 

Railways were developed to move coal, and the 0-8-0s typify coal haulers.

Earlswood Nob

In the interests of balance, I'm a Midland man, but have been moving towards the NE region (NER, LNER, BR (NE Region) as a complimentary side of my modelling interests. Why not? The Midland and the NER weren't competitors, and have a connection through Smith and his compounding.

In the interests of balance, I'm a Midland man, but have been moving towards the NE region (NER, LNER, BR (NE Region) as a complimentary side of my modelling interests. Why not? The Midland and the NER weren't competitors, and have a connection through Smith and his compounding.

There was a physical connection in the Normanton area. And not just MR/NER.

Regards

• 2 years later...
On 25/10/2012 at 15:02, N15class said:

I knew a guy a few years ago who made injection molding tools. Most were done conventionally even though he at some CAD machines. I do not know how it is now but then it was cheaper to it the old fashioned way rather than programing the machine. There is also a lot of hand work polishing etc so you get the right finish. One of his jobs was for a milk bottle screw lid. He perminantly had an order for one, they seemed to need replacing yearly. The cost in the eighties was equivilant to best part of six months of my salary. Some large companys sent their moulding tools around the world to the different factories as it was cheaper than having more than one set.

Sorry I've just been reading through this thread and came across this answer to my post.

Back in the early 70s I worked for a firm who did the design work for Revell plastic model aeroplane kits, my role was that of draughtsman. In those days producing these kits was a very expensive business, requiring a very large profitable market (basically a world wide market) to recoup the expense. That expense has been very much reduced by CAD/CAM techniques which has been a major reason why British outline plastic RTR models are, and have been for a while now, profitable.

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2016 at 07:40, Earlswood Nob said:

Good morning all

An interesting thread, as I had never heard of WESTWARD kits.

I'm a LNER fan (NER GNR GCR), but have a soft spot for the L&Y 0-8-0s. They go well with the NER 0-8-0s, basic, brutish, and black. 

Railways were developed to move coal, and the 0-8-0s typify coal haulers.

Earlswood Nob

Those companies all ran together on the South Yorkshire Joint Railway, plus the Midland Railway. That is one of the main reasons why I built Tickhill & Wadworth a while ago.

Archived