PenrithBeacon

Considering the myriad of different rail and sleeper sizes used by narrow gauge lines I suspect those who hand build 009 track will just use whatever is available for SG, just adapting the most appropriate stuff for the line they are modelling.

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned above, you perhaps need to start with the prototype and then see what rail and sleeper size you need. I know you are looking to model in 4mm scale but you will find a lot of information on the O14 Group web site where John Clutterbuck has reproduced several articles he did for the Narrow Gauge and Industrial Review and which are now available online by permission of Roy Link.

Have a look at this page and download the booklet where you will find both prototype and model information (but based on 7mm)

http://o14group.org/category/resources/standards/

Mike

I went to ExpoNG last Saturday and thought it was a very good exhibition. I also tried to talk to the blokes on the KB stand but they were more interested in talking to their mates so I went away!

I've been looking at the track standards the 2mm Association are promoting, looks good!

Regards

Just out of curiosity, is there a supplier of components and tooling for 009 handbuilt track?

Regards

David

In the absence of any other replies I will put my 2 pence in, I am building an 0-16.6 layout using 7mm sleepering and 4mm track which seems to work quite well.

On that basis you could use 4mm scale sleepers, copperclad fron either C&L or Marcway. Plastic sleepers from C&L and Exactoscale (from C&L), wooden sleepers from C&L and Exactoscale (from C&L), also the Brooke Smith sleepers from P4 supplies?

Rail Peco code 55, C&L do rail spikes as do a few others. No idea if the N gauge chairs will work though, and their availability

David

In the absence of any other replies I will put my 2 pence in, I am building an 0-16.6 layout using 7mm sleepering and 4mm track which seems to work quite well.

On that basis you could use 4mm scale sleepers, copperclad fron either C&L or Marcway. Plastic sleepers from C&L and Exactoscale (from C&L), wooden sleepers from C&L and Exactoscale (from C&L), also the Brooke Smith sleepers from P4 supplies?

Rail Peco code 55, C&L do rail spikes as do a few others. No idea if the N gauge chairs will work though, and their availability

John

Thank you for that. For me this is all very speculative and as I've said before the 2mm Assoc standards look most promising as their version of 2mm scale works out to be very close to 2'-3" gauge for 4mm. If therefore the modeller 'goes' for 2'-0" they are only 1mm too large and of 2'-6" gauge 1mm too short. They also have the standards worked out and the tools required for the job, see http://www.2mm.org.uk/standards.htm and http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/ .

I have some C&L 4mm track components in the stock box so I think I'll try my hand on that first and see how I get on.

Thanks for your response

Regards

Archived