• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure what the equivalent would be. It's definitely glue, not weld, it's thin like weld and really volatile as well. The (stupid) lid has to go back on straight away after each application!

Shame about Linux. Apparently the next version of Inkscape will include the functionality to output directly to cutters. I've no idea what features would be available though.

• RMweb Gold

I've just taken the sides out of the "press" and, apart from a very slight curl on one of them (that is actually less pronounced than when I took them off the mat) they are as straight as a die. There are no bubbles of gas, and there is no warping whatsoever, not even waviness along the top where the small windows are, though this might also have something to do with the fact that there is .020" more styrene up there.

If you are looking for an equivalent, the warning on the bottle says that the glue contains acetates and methyl ethyl ketone. Testors also do a tube of glue that I'm assuming is like UHU or something, but  I don't use this at all.

post-14192-0-09674400-1393868737.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Here bare the parts marked out for the .020" styrene. All of the parts except for the toilet walls will be folded and glued to form .040" parts. The Inner ends will be glued to the floor of the carriage first, and then the sides will be glued between them. The inner end bracing will be on the opposite side, and will be used to locate the vestibule doors. The side bracing will be glued into the scribed lines that I drew into the back of the sides. The scribed lines will make sure that the bracing is straight at .040" above the bottom so that the bracing will sit on top of the floor (if you see what I mean). I know that I'm probably overkill with the scribing of the doors, but how many of us make buildings etc with interiors that won't be seen? :)

post-14192-0-21191600-1393873447.jpg

I the cutter I'll be scribing the lines using that Amy Chomas scriber, so I have to remember to set the "blade type" to sketch pen. If I don't do this there will be an arc scribed into the plastic at the beginning of every line. Thickness is 33, because that's what Amy has recommended, and Speed of 1 because I want accuracy over speed. I can get on with other things while this is working. I only run the scriber once, because I can't see any difference in the depth of the scribed line when it's run multiple times.

post-14192-0-25142900-1393873797.jpg

I also go into the line style view and set all of the lines that I'll be cutting and not scoring to "no cut". The lines that are no cut will be thin, the lines that are cut will have a red border around them. After the scribing has finished, I'll reverse the cut and no cut lines. If you are doing this, be really careful that you don't move anything on the page! The image below shows the cut lines set up for cutting, not scribing.

post-14192-0-79536500-1393874423_thumb.jpg

I get a lot of dust accumulating on the tip of the scriber, so I tend to pause the machine from time to time and clean it off.

post-14192-0-89449400-1393874124.jpg

Edited by JCL

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Mike. I thought I'd go into detail in case anyone else wants to have a go with the files when I post them up afterwards. It'll hopefully show where all the bits go.

I'm almost back to where I was before. The new inner ends are now glued in and squared up (not necessarily in that order), and as you can see from the closer end, the inner end bracing has been lined up with the vestibule floor and laminated in place to the inner ends. The inner end bracing has a door scribed into it. Just behind the bottle are the two side bracing strips that are laminated from two .020" layers. I suppose I could have just used one .040" layer, but I didn't have any to hand.

post-14192-0-01550300-1393906435.jpg

Although they are straight, the sides are still flimsy, so I've decided to glue the middle bracing to the floor, which means that I'll do the interior as two separate inserts. Here's the middle being glued with a light weight to bring the upper sides together.

post-14192-0-02048400-1393910148.jpg

Then I filed back the small piece of overhang at the end of each side. What I should have done was glue the vestibule doors on after I'd filed down the slight overhang - I did do this on the other end and it was a lot easier!

post-14192-0-40276000-1393911300.jpg

And this is where I am tonight with the vestibules in place. This means that I'm now back at the point where I left the project at the beginning of last week.

post-14192-0-15685100-1393911248.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

...and this is how I managed to get so much done today. Good job Austin isn't a Jack Russell or something, I'd have lost him!

post-14192-0-52375100-1393911906.jpg

post-14192-0-08134300-1393911978.jpg

post-14192-0-98169900-1393911978.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well the snow on the mountain is 260cm/102", but a fair bit of that disappeared in January. Last year we had 36' and the year before I think it was 41'. Now that was a lot of driveway clearing.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adam, I'll have to post a picture of a grader tomorrow if one comes past clearing the snow from the road.

I've a quick question, and I'm hoping someone can help. I remember someone saying that the line to Skegness wouldn't have seen A1s and A4s as they were too heavy. Does anyone know how I can find out what the route's "category" was and which locos were in that category? I know that sounds like a rubbish sentence, but I hope you get my drift.

Edited by JCL

• RMweb Gold

I've just remembered the phrase (I think) - route availability. Does anyone know where to look?

Fence photos today - now come on, contain yourselves!

I've just remembered the phrase (I think) - route availability. Does anyone know where to look?

Fence photos today - now come on, contain yourselves!

I think the LNER may have recorded which locos were excluded from a line in the Appendix to the Working Time Table.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

There is a photo of the inside of a "Barnum" taken when new in George Dow's "Great Central Album" on P105.

You are right about the partitions, with only one in the middle of the carriage. The photo shows the very distinctive seats, with ornate curved ends. A lovely little job for your cutting machine.........

The Barnum is looking really nice. Most remained in LNER brown livery up to withdrawal, so even in BR days, they would be brown but with BR style E numbers. There is photographic evidence that at least one Brake 3rd and one all 3rd got painted in red and cream, so if you fancy one like that you can justify it.

Tony

Bloody hell i bet it was but i no in 2010 we had 3ft of snow everything came to a stand still lol as it does when we have a big amount of snow lol, but that's the UK for u lol.

bye for now

Adam

In the UK snow only has to be mentioned for the country to come to a stand still!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony and Tony.

I've now had a chance to draw up the seat sides. Now, this diagram shows my ideal version of the seats. It doesn't take into account minimum tolerances etc. Some of the advances that I've made with the machine have been because of doing the what ifs. If it works, great, if it doesn't, then it's back to the drawing board.

As always with my drawings, the red lines are cut lines, and the blue ones will be scribed. In theory the seat side would be made up of two layers, and this may still happen, but I'll have a look at how this works first as a simple scribe.

post-14192-0-79194500-1393970072.jpg

You'll also notice that I've only drawn a half seat and a half table leg. When I do repeating elements in a drawing, such as a station canopy or these seats, I'll draw only the unique portions of the object. The other half of the seat is a mirror image of the one I've drawn here for example. After I've copied the number of seats I need and flipped every over one I'll have enough to make the interior.

Here I've copied this unit and pasted it four times over the Barnum side elevation that I have to see how it scales down on the side drawing. The great thing about this is that, unlike trains I've been on, each seat has a window, so it *should* be easy to scale. I'll also plan to leave a .040" strip of plastic at the bottom and glue it to a rectangle of plastic that will make the floor. In the drawing below, the light blue strip is the floor of the coach, then there will be that .040" layer that the side of the seat will butt up against. Mike's just sent me a link to Coachman's build, and he mentioned there a problem I'd noticed - this is one of the few coaches where the top is narrower than the bottom. This means that I'll be making and installing each side separately and then adding the gangway at the end. I'll do the first version in card to see how I get on. If it looks really good, I might even stick with card, if it fits but isn't all that great in card I'll redo it in styrene. If it doesn't fit either, I won't have wasted styrene on the first try.

post-14192-0-60239000-1393970073.jpg

Grader photographed and will be uploaded with the fence later.

cheers

Jason

• RMweb Gold

OK, well I've cut the seats out and used the scriber to very gently push the parts out. In the end I decided to do two layers. A base layer, and the raised layer. While this is technically closer to the actual seating, I don't think it adds much to the coach. I can't believe that you could see the difference with the roof on. I already have the cutouts, but when I upload all of the cutter files, I do the two alternative versions.

post-14192-0-49195700-1393990935.jpg

In other news, this is the grader I was telling you about:

post-14192-0-14930300-1393991447.jpg

Edited by JCL
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Fence Post! :O

I mentioned a while back that I'd done a lot of researching into station fencing in my part of Lincolnshire as all of the photos I have of Wainfleet understandably have oblique views looking down the platform. This means that it's hard to work out how the fence was put together. Looking at other stations, it didn't seem unreasonable that the Wainfleet fencing wasn't the same.

Here's a composite of the images that I worked upon. I saw one photo of the fence that terminated at a crossing gate. I knew how high a "standard" crossing gate was in Wainfleet, and used that as a starting point for the fence height. The picture below was a good back view, which gave me the number and thicknesses of the posts.

post-14192-0-29014000-1393997766.jpg

I drew and cut the bracing separately to the picket boards, then folded along the middle and glued the two halves together. This was a faff, but worth it.

post-14192-0-07298700-1393998290_thumb.jpg

At this point the fence was just a strip of .020" plastic, so it was very flexible. You can also see that the back of the fence was braced with rails cut on the diagonal. I found some triangular Plastruct rod and used that (as you can see below). I also added another layer to the front of the posts to make them stand out a bit more, and some .060x.060" strip cut diagonally to the back. The .060" (I think) strip was pushed into the insulation based platform after a hole had been pushed into it using a bamboo skewer. It wa painted undercoat grey, and washed with waterproof india ink diluted with Isopropyl Alcohol.

There's still weeds to be sown, etc, but it's finished for now.

post-14192-0-34287600-1393997259.jpg post-14192-0-33747900-1393997260.jpg post-14192-0-09912400-1393997261.jpg post-14192-0-13190900-1393997262.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Sooo, these seats. Well I've done a *lot* of experimentation today and I think I've come up with a solution that'll look passable.  The sides have been built up as described before (a layer of beading, a solid layer, and a layer that stops at seat level in the aisle, and a layer that looks like castellations (?) on the window side of the seat. This gives me my verticals. The table is an easy rectangle, but the seat was more complicated. In the end I've decided to print the seat itself and stiffen it with styrene. The white styrene will be sprayed brown, and Bob, I hope, will be your uncle.

In the photos, the seats are resting on the ledges I've made, and would square up better when glued in properly. The one on the left in the first photo doesn't have a vertical stiffener.

post-14192-0-87992400-1394157843.jpg

post-14192-0-99889000-1394157844.jpg

I have to stop now for a couple of days and see what everyone else is doing. These seats are driving me crazy! X-O

• Like 8

Looking good tho m8 u seen my latest post on my layout progress and i saw the pic you was talking about when we talked about snow lol looks like we aren't going to get this year its worming up at last lol.

Bye for now

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone. I've never been blessed with being able to focus on one thing at a time, so like I said in the previous post, I'm going to have to have a break for a little while from this, maybe a week or two. Sorry about chopping and changing.

In the meantime, it's about time I looked at the station building. Wainfleet station building is pretty plain, stark even, when you compare it to other country stations in the area. Built by the Wainfleet and Firsby Railway in the 1870's, it has been present since the very beginning when the line was a single track and finished just after the level crossing gates. In the first photo you can see the engine shed, an a slice of the original goods shed that stood where the line to Skegness is now situated.

post-14192-0-65141600-1394321082.jpg

This second picture shows that the only real changes to the actual station building between the 1800's and the 1960s is that the front of the canopy was cut away for some reason (answers on a postcard), the toilet was no longer in use, a tv arial was installed, and the window frames had been repainted. Away from the station building, the footbridge had gone, and a large grain elevator replaced farm buildings just after the curve.

post-14192-0-94871500-1394321083.jpg

To bring you up to date, in the last couple of decades the platform in front of the station has had its height increased (you'll notice there was a set of steps to get you onto the carriage in the previous photo), and the doors in the station building have been replaced with windows.

post-14192-0-36530800-1394321081.jpg

I've mentioned a few times that, although the station will be set in late summer, early autumn, I haven't got a fixed year. Although I'm primarily thinking late sixties, I want the station to exist in three time spans: LNER (vague I know), late 1950's and 1970s. This means that I will build a single station building and two canopies. The canopies will be the full canopy that I believe existed until at least the 1950's, the butchered canopy that was in use in the 1960's, and the removed canopy as per the 1970s. I'm definitely not modelling anything after BR blue, so I don't need to turn doors into windows. The canopies will won't be attached to the building, wut will be joined magnetically with some very small rare earth magnets in the building and just under the sides.

Here's some work I did on the sides before I had even produced some baseboards. I used Photoshop to square up photos that I took while I was there. I've also removed a number of the windows using a lot of cutting and pasting. Finally, I've spliced in other brick papers where necessary. Unfortunately I've only an oblique photo of the back, so it'll be approximate, but the rest of it should be spot on. Using the photos I can show how the building has weathered more above the canopy than below it, and I can also include the damp that appears to affected one end in the photo below.

post-14192-0-45984200-1394324970.jpg

cheers

Jason

post-14192-0-42819800-1394324756.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1