• RMweb Gold

Proper Skeg summer on the last one :)

I've made a start on the fence I promised the station master, and they've been getting on with the gardening in the meantime. Unfortunately the station master's wife has come over giddy in the heat of the Indian summer! The layout will be set at the end of a September, so the leaves are about to turn and there's not much in the garden now. That said, I'm hoping to turn some peppercorns into cabbages, and given my family history as farmers, I'll have to see if there's a way of making leeks. :)

post-14192-0-29161700-1390958673.jpg post-14192-0-12927100-1390958672.jpg

Edited by JCL
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Ohh, I have a confession. I think the boxes came from Preiser - the long side is less than a cm, although, there's nowt to stop me from putting some together :) Don't tell Lee and Al!

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, what??

Never heard a thing...

Seriously Jason that's looking great, love all the little details, you've done some brilliant work there, and the fencing looks spot on.

But come on, really? YELLOW WELLIES?? :O :nono:

Hmm, what??

Never heard a thing...

Seriously Jason that's looking great, love all the little details, you've done some brilliant work there, and the fencing looks spot on.

But come on, really? YELLOW WELLIES?? :O :nono:

Yes lovely work but I agree, wellies were always black up to the 1980s and wheelbarrows usually galvanised metal colour.

Tony.

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry, everyone! They've just been plonked down for now, Maybe the stationmaster's missus keeled over from the yellow glare! Anyway, the wellies will definitely be black, and the wheelbarrow less garish. My wife finds it amusing that In real life I refuse to wear any other colour than black wellies. Green 'uns are a bit too posh for me :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Do you know what Lee? Paint your plywood a base earth colour if you can. I read this piece of advice when I first logged in to RMWeb. My layout was pink at the time and made me feel that I had a very long way to go. Painting it brown helped me psychologically, and made me feel like I had taken a big step. In reality, I'd just painted my baseboard brown :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Do you know what Lee? Paint your plywood a base earth colour if you can. I read this piece of advice when I first logged in to RMWeb. My layout was pink at the time and made me feel that I had a very long way to go. Painting it brown helped me psychologically, and made me feel like I had taken a big step. In reality, I'd just painted my baseboard brown :)

Jason,

Stupid question.  What did you use to paint the baseboard?   Many years ago when I made a baseboard up for my son I painted it with green undercoat.  The last time I looked there were hardly any colours for undercoats.

Did you use brown emulsion?  Does it survive well enough to be a base for your models?

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris

Yep, I used ordinary brown latex based paint. It took a few coats to cover the pink of the foam, but got there in the end. I didn't use an undercoat, but if I did, I'd have probably just used a grey one. It's still going strong, and although I have no proof for this, to be honest I think it might give the foam a bit more protection from dings.

cheers

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Having been remonstrated for "being no better than he should be", our intrepid follower of fashion has been brought to heel, and has decided for his future health to toe the line regarding weatherproof footwear.

post-14192-0-67720100-1391064753_thumb.jpg

Having got this out of the way, he still has the fencing to finish, and something rather exciting for the garden to put together. His wife, in the meantime, is feeling much better after mothballs were wafted in front of her nose while she was out for the count.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well, they got down to the garden centre and picked this up. It seems working in the garden is hard work!

Obviously I didn't cut this out by hand! Once I'm happy with the file I'll upload it in case anyone else wants a Lutyens Bench.

post-14192-0-77452800-1391100739_thumb.jpg

If you're wondering, Oliver Cromwell has evidently failed and spent last night at Wainfleet. :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

post-14192-0-45023400-1391536900_thumb.jpg

I'm busy on the bogies tutorial (and life away from the model) at the moment, but I've had time to make some changes to that bench and upload it. The first one was a too big, so I've "smalled it" as my dad would say, and tested the plan by folding it up. It's pretty fragile, but does fold up fine.

The light blue lines need to be scored lightly, and the red lines need to cut through. I ran the cutter over it a few times because I wanted the holes in the back of the bench to just pop out - it would be a job to cut around them if they hadn't cut properly.

The bench top could be scored, but the whole thing is fiddly, so I didn't want to weaken it unnecessarily. If you're going for it, you could use a bit of styrene rod to form the arms.

lutyens bench master 2.dxf

Here's what it looks like if you don't have Inkscape or Studio

post-14192-0-26664000-1391535262_thumb.png

• Like 3

Jason, you have a potential future building doll house furniture.  Seriously my wife wanted a "bench"  for a decorative doll she had.  I could not believe the prices they want for these things and the availability in Canada as judged by a web search.  Next step is to get a 3d printer