• RMweb Premium

Jason,

This has just occured to me, why not take the sides all the way to the front of the unit? Then when they are fixed and set they can be blended into the front so there is no join.... If you file the whole side down by 5 thou then it won't even get any wider...

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

I did think about that, but I was worried I wouldn't hide the join well enough. I'm going to have a serious think about what I'll do next.

In the meantime, back in merry old England, I'm now in Derbyshire with my sister. I had a great time in Ruddington yesterday at the GCR depot where I found four (count them) Barnum coaches! I have to say I almost had a moment when I put my hand on one of them. Anyway, there were three opens and a brake. Unfortunately two were under tight wraps outside, and the other two were in dim sheds, one having just been sandblasted and the other being rebuilt. I took what photos I could without a tripod, but as I couldn't get a full view of any of the coaches, I went for the details and underframe as much as I could. Unfortunately I couldn't see inside any of them, but I'm not sure I missed anything. I also saw loads of other stuff, and got to admire the prototype HST - I hadn't a clue it was there, so imagine my shock when I saw it hiding behind a class 47! I also managed to take some photos of a clerestory, and another couple of coaches of that era.

Today we went for an innocent dog walk to Matlock (Black Rocks Country Park) when I came across the Cromford and High Peak Railway (I think my sister was taking my interests into account when choosing where to walk her dogs). So I was out with my camera again, only taking a couple of photos this time. Here's a youtube video from the 1950's of what I found there when it was still working (first couple of minutes) http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A44_PjeBH2Y the first bit is the location I was at. I saw an advisory notice not to ride a bike down the 1 in 8 incline that made me smile (given my other hobby).

Tomorrow, it's Utterly Butterley and the Midland Railway Centre to meet my other brother and his family, and hopefully, finally take photos of the class 114. Monday is Wainfleet, Tuesday Louth, Wednesday rest, and unfortunately Thursday I'll start my journey home.

I know this post is light in photos, and I've loads to upload when I get back to my computer in Canada, so I may put them on Flickr and put some representative ones on RMWeb in a "What I did on my holidays" post. Hopefully one or two of the 400 or so I've taken already will be worth the wait.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I did Andy, and had a great time both there and RMWeb. :)

I've managed to upload a small number of photos I took in Ruddington, so here they are. This is a kind of preview, so when I put them up properly I'll make sure to caption them.

post-14192-0-79941900-1411948063_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-26133800-1411948097_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-34343900-1411948115_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-41315000-1411948127_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-24438800-1411948141_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-05885800-1411948155_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-73905200-1411948176_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-47153000-1411948189_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-48490100-1411948208_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-05805800-1411948221_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-51306100-1411948241_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-07820800-1411948254_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

And here are some from The Midland Railway Centre. I'm afraid some photos may be a bit blurred because of the lighting conditions, and the fact that I couldn't bring my tripod over. :-/ hope you like them anyway. Some of them are even relevant to Wainfleet!

post-14192-0-48342900-1411948491_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-06422100-1411948505_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-62883400-1411948515_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-58055500-1411948537_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-88893900-1411948552_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-56689900-1411948565_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-97301200-1411948582_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-78143100-1411948602_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-86010600-1411948614_thumb.jpg

Edited by JCL
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I only saw one 6-wheeler, and it was at the end of the shed, unfortunately like the Barnums, access was tight, you need a tripod if you don't want to worry about shake. They've practically got to the painting stage now, and are putting the undercoat on. Unfortunately I wasn't able to bring mine over. There's also a 6-wheel chassis outside with what I suspect is the body in "flat pack" mode under a tarp on top. For the life of me it looks like a plastic kit of parts. When I get to Canada and my computer I'll put up the couple of photos I took together.

It's definitely worth going though, and it don't think you need any permission on the days they aren't running services as a number of people saw me and didn't say anything about me taking photos between the tracks. Also there are signs into the various sheds. One shed with the Barnum brake in it was locked though. Basically they were easy people to deal with.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

If the six wheeler at the top of the page is the same one that is currently in the shed, then it looks like it's at a similar stage of restoration. That said, I didn't look inside. The good thing is there is a platform next to it if you wanted to see if you can look in there. I was there about 2 1/2 hours, and could have stayed longer taking photos.

post-14192-0-44042800-1411999442_thumb.jpg

Louth today, and I found this book by Mr. A.J. Ludlum. He's written a lot of railway books about the area, and this seems to be the latest one. Although some of the photos have been repeated from the other books (let's face it, there doesn't seem to be a lot of early photos out there), there are quite a few new ones as well, and a lot of new text about Wainfleet and Skegness. It's 48 pages for 6.95, but as there aren't many books out there on the line it was well worth the price. Money also goes to the South Wolds Railway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whenever i see that poster I can't help thinking of the Viz poster that had the old sailor kicking rubbish and the slogan was changed to something unprinteable here!

Nice LDECR 6-wheeler, and the lining on 159A is something to behold.

Andy G

If the six wheeler at the top of the page is the same one that is currently in the shed, then it looks like it's at a similar stage of restoration. That said, I didn't look inside. The good thing is there is a platform next to it if you wanted to see if you can look in there. I was there about 2 1/2 hours, and could have stayed longer taking photos.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Louth today, and I found this book by Mr. A.J. Ludlum. He's written a lot of railway books about the area, and this seems to be the latest one. Although some of the photos have been repeated from the other books (let's face it, there doesn't seem to be a lot of early photos out there), there are quite a few new ones as well, and a lot of new text about Wainfleet and Skegness. It's 48 pages for 6.95, but as there aren't many books out there on the line it was well worth the price. Money also goes to the South Wolds Railway.

You did very well there, because that book is not officially published until tomorrow I believe. (At least that is what it said when I pre-ordered it from Waterstones).

The first volume featured the Mablethorpe branch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was captivated by 158A, I'd hate to have to do that in 4mm scale; it'd be like the Generation Game. Sorry I couldn't call earlier, we were out the door a lot earlier than I expected.

In the meantime, for all the non-yellerbellies out there, here's a local delicacy. It's been mentioned on Grantham, but I didn't want to outstay my Stuffed Chine welcome.

post-14192-0-10471200-1412002516_thumb.jpg

It's a bit like (but isn't) boiled bacon, stuffed with parsley. Apparently my grandma used to do a version using a gammon joint.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonny, I just wandered into the shop with a dazed tourist look on my face. :) it's a good book, and this one was autographed (maybe that's why it was available early, maybe Mr Ludlum did a book signing).

I was captivated by 158A, I'd hate to have to do that in 4mm scale; it'd be like the Generation Game. Sorry I couldn't call earlier, we were out the door a lot earlier than I expected.

In the meantime, for all the non-yellerbellies out there, here's a local delicacy. It's been mentioned on Grantham, but I didn't want to outstay my Stuffed Chine welcome.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's a bit like (but isn't) boiled bacon, stuffed with parsley. Apparently my grandma used to do a version using a gammon joint.

Ah yes, stuffed chine. I haven't had that for a few decades since leaving the county.

I even find it difficult to buy haslet in Somerset (and if I do find it, they call it haz-let; and not hacelet as it was pronounced where I was born in South Lincs).

But I digress.

I'm glad you managed to get a copy of the Ludlum book, although I missed out on the Mablethorpe one and have been trying to find a copy everywhere. I fear that a 500 mile round trip may be necessary to even stand a chance of getting one now, and it only came out in June.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ooh - looks luverly. :blum:  I'll show it to Gill so that we can have some in stock next time you come a-visiting :mosking:

• Like 1

I did think about that, but I was worried I wouldn't hide the join well enough. I'm going to have a serious think about what I'll do next.

In the meantime, back in merry old England, I'm now in Derbyshire with my sister. I had a great time in Ruddington yesterday at the GCR depot where I found four (count them) Barnum coaches! I have to say I almost had a moment when I put my hand on one of them. Anyway, there were three opens and a brake. Unfortunately two were under tight wraps outside, and the other two were in dim sheds, one having just been sandblasted and the other being rebuilt. I took what photos I could without a tripod, but as I couldn't get a full view of any of the coaches, I went for the details and underframe as much as I could. Unfortunately I couldn't see inside any of them, but I'm not sure I missed anything. I also saw loads of other stuff, and got to admire the prototype HST - I hadn't a clue it was there, so imagine my shock when I saw it hiding behind a class 47! I also managed to take some photos of a clerestory, and another couple of coaches of that era.

Today we went for an innocent dog walk to Matlock (Black Rocks Country Park) when I came across the Cromford and High Peak Railway (I think my sister was taking my interests into account when choosing where to walk her dogs). So I was out with my camera again, only taking a couple of photos this time. Here's a youtube video from the 1950's of what I found there when it was still working (first couple of minutes) http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A44_PjeBH2Y the first bit is the location I was at. I saw an advisory notice not to ride a bike down the 1 in 8 incline that made me smile (given my other hobby).

Tomorrow, it's Utterly Butterley and the Midland Railway Centre to meet my other brother and his family, and hopefully, finally take photos of the class 114. Monday is Wainfleet, Tuesday Louth, Wednesday rest, and unfortunately Thursday I'll start my journey home.

I know this post is light in photos, and I've loads to upload when I get back to my computer in Canada, so I may put them on Flickr and put some representative ones on RMWeb in a "What I did on my holidays" post. Hopefully one or two of the 400 or so I've taken already will be worth the wait.

Don't waste time uploading NOW, we want to take take as many pictures as possible and upload when your home. So we get maximum piccies. Your family is very accommodating, everyone seems to be happy to work around your train mania :jester: .....which is great for us :sungum:

You can spare a second or two to chat to the family, advise them that what you really want for future birthdays and Xmas prezzies is more more pictures.....LOL.

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

You may or may not know that the Malt Kiln is being demolished in Louth over the next few months (Aldi are building a supermarket on the site) so if you want photos this could be your last chance.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

ooooH, also go down EASTGATE in Louth and you will see a whole load of the Hornby buildings in the flesh.

If still of any use to you I can point them out, although to be honest you can Googlewalk done Eastgate for the same effect.

I can highlight a number of the buildings if anyone is interested.

FYI Louth Station is now apartments.

• RMweb Gold

That's good to know, I think the flat pack is No. 373 - http://www.gcr-rollingstocktrust.co.uk/news_output.asp?id=240&checkSource=stock Are you popping into the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway when you are in Louth tomorrow?

I'm afraid not as I won't have time on this trip, I'll have to save that, and the Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway (http://www.lincolnshire-coast-light-railway.co.uk) for another time.

I am having a great time Jaz, but I'm feeling a tad guilty. I don't want them thinking that they were an afterthought! In the end I had to rearrange, and went to Louth yesterday (so missed the suggestions I'm afraid). Louth is a great place, and if you ever find yourself nearby, definitely go for a wander around the town. The small traders seem to be visited by foodies and celeb chefs quite a lot!

Talking of food, here's the chine with some coastal sea vegetable. I'm sure you'll guess within seconds what it is.

post-14192-0-19617600-1412114503_thumb.jpg

Sooo, Wainfleet tomorrow instead. I'm going to take some more photos and measurements of the GNR railings at the station, and we might even be able to pop into Havenhouse as well. It's the last full day with my mum so we are going for a walk along the River Haven as well, which will be lovely.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

It was lovely to meet you and your family, I hope the shots went well. I was very impressed by your projects and I'll go searching them out online to see how you're getting on.

Jamie, as a student I was often hungry, unfortunately this was due to money being diverted to beer. Heady days.

Well it's a sunny day with a hint of clouds, Wainfleet here I come.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh, and I've been on the wish list and ordered a cl114, a J6, stirling single, Barnum coach, and for the exotic amongst us, the Dynanometer car. Did I say ordered? Fingers very much crossed but breath not held. :)