Bumping a thread.

• RMweb Premium

I didn't start this topic and I don't get a "Bump this topic" button. I do get that on threads I started. I guess that answers the OP question. I've never bumped a topic purely to keep it on the first page of "View New Content". If I have something to say I say it rather than a one-click action devoid of new content which might be considered as gratuitous self-promotion by others.

.... Perhaps you can only bump a thread to which you have contributed?

I didn't start this topic and I don't get a "Bump this topic" button. I do get that on threads I started. I guess that answers the OP question. I've never bumped a topic purely to keep it on the first page of "View New Content". If I have something to say I say it rather than a one-click action devoid of new content which might be considered as gratuitous self-promotion by others.

Hello both,

I had contributed to to the thread, but I could not get the bump button to show.

The only reason that I wanted to bump the topic was that another poster had asked about USCing parts of a loco, not for any self promotion proposes. If I knew how to do a link I would have done that.

The other part was that most of the things had been said about using an USC, so why start it all-over again.

So it looks like that you can't bump a topic that you have not started. Does that make it all clear?

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

To post a link first copy the link (usually from the address bar at the top of the page) then paste it into the reply window. The site coding will shorten what appears in the posted reply but the link still works.

To post a link first copy the link (usually from the address bar at the top of the page) then paste it into the reply window. The site coding will shorten what appears in the posted reply but the link still works.

To me that was about as clear as mud.

So its right click and then right click and then paste.

Sounds like bumping it to near the top of the page is easer.

I use a puter to come on here and store photos, not for any work, as such.

So I'll give it a go now.

http://www.rmweb.co....ad/#entry829463

OzzyO.

There is a 'Bump' button which promotes a thread back to the top of the list without adding new content, but it is only visible to the original poster and IIRC there is a set period of time that must elapse since the last post before it becomes active...

• RMweb Premium

There is a 'Bump' button which promotes a thread back to the top of the list without adding new content, but it is only visible to the original poster and IIRC there is a set period of time that must elapse since the last post before it becomes active...

Exactly. And while there might be a valid reason to simply bump a topic after that time without adding new content it might also be used (abused?) should someone with to simply keep bumping their own topic into New Content hoping it gets attention. New actual content (i.e. a post) automatically does that and also hopefully adds something to the discussion.

Archived