The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

How's Trisonic ?

Ceptic

Didn't he have his layout in the basement? Along with all his guitars!

Good to hear that his upper lip is still stiff and that he's carrying on in the best British tradition.

Pete, when you get around to reading these, you haven't missed too much here but we've missed you plenty.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

NJ governor said on TV that "we seem to get the storm of the century every two years now".

I've heard that L-girder benchwork with lightweight scenry will float.

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad the info I sent via Old Gringo was of some help. I knew Pete's address from our postal communications (art not trains!). I was also able to pass on internet info to friends in Connecticut as their landline phone worked. Their power came back on after 45 hours.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I, too, am glad to hear that Pete's okay after the rough ride he must have had. Here's hoping the people along the East Coast will be able to stick together and turn to cleaning up this major mess very soon.

I, too, am glad to hear that Pete's okay after the rough ride he must have had. Here's hoping the people along the East Coast will be able to stick together and turn to cleaning up this major mess very soon.

It's going to be one hell of a job. It involves the whole of the North American East coast, including the Caribbean and Canada.

The 1953, UK East coast (including Essex) storm surges / floods were catastrophic. Full stop. But, those pale into insignificance, compared to what is, now, being witnessed.

I had thought of superimposing the outline of the UK mainland, onto the middle of 'Sandy' to give some idea of the size of this storm,.... but, thought better of it.

Regards,

• RMweb Premium

It must be a daunting task indeed. I am, however, glad that according to the news, there appears to be a lot of solidarity with the residents along the East Coast.

I but do wonder if the rain fronts which are currently moving in from the Atlantic and predicted to dominate our weather over the weekend may, in fact, be remnants of Sandy. It's chucking it down right now, and windy, too.

• RMweb Premium

I but do wonder if the rain fronts which are currently moving in from the Atlantic and predicted to dominate our weather over the weekend may, in fact, be remnants of Sandy. It's chucking it down right now, and windy, too.

Too soon for the remnants to have reached over the atlantic, yet. Give it a few more days.

Guest Max Stafford

Been some heavy and sustained showers here again today, but I reckon we'll see a (hopefully) somewhat diminished Sandy sometime about Sunday or Monday. That said, Metcheck and ExactaWeather aren't predicting anything extraordinary for next week so perhaps blocking effects will keep any storms away.

Glad Pete's OK though I bet without power he won't be wearing his trademark shorts, that's for sure!

Dave.

I don't think so. Hurricanes that affect the US East coast do often head out into the N. Atlantic and arrive here a few days later as low pressure systems complete with wind and rain but Sandy was blocked by a large high pressure system in mid Atlantic which is why it hit the East coast so hard before heading for Chicago and Canada. I've just been looking at the ECMWF sea level pressure chart for the next ten days and that blocking high is pretty stable around mid Atlantic for most of that period. It seems to be holding a separate low pressure system on our side of the pond. That wanders around a bit over the next few days so there's a lot of regional variation in the UK but it's not going anywhere in a hurry.

That damage looks terrible, John.

I don't know whether to say thanks for posting, or not.... But, Thanks, and, to add... there's these, from the NJTransit site.

http://www.njtransit...tion=HomePageTo

Thinking back, over recent years, overseas' RMweb members have been caught up in devastating bush fires, floods and earthquakes, and they've emerged from the worst events nature can throw at them.

For example, robmcg's back in here,(and elsewhere) with his excellent pics / vids.

I take my hat off to these fellas, and their pioneering? spirit.

From my point of view, whatever one says about the UK homeland and it's faults, I'm still glad I live here.

Regards.

• RMweb Gold

A contributor to an 0 gauge email group was in the twin towers on the fateful day. Having gone to the canteen for a cuppa they were advised to return to their office he started back up then thought this is silly and turned round and walked down cuppa in hand. Such a small descision but a lifesaver. No doubt there will be similar stories from Sandy.

Don

• RMweb Gold

A contributor to an 0 gauge email group was in the twin towers on the fateful day. Having gone to the canteen for a cuppa they were advised to return to their office he started back up then thought this is silly and turned round and walked down cuppa in hand. Such a small descision but a lifesaver. No doubt there will be similar stories from Sandy.

Don

Similar stories from all sorts of things I reckon. Going back a few years and still in my big railway days I had been on extended sickness and was not long back at work so decided not to rush for my usual train but get on it if I was at the station in time. One morning I was running a few minutes later and decided not to race to catch it - which was just as well because it collected a Thames Trains Turbo head-on at Ladbroke Grove while I was on a later train and simply got massively delayed. (oh, and I normally sat in the leading coach of the HST.)

According to our local forecast there is a low pressure system which is building and heading up the east coast.

It is suggested that it could make landfall around the same area as 'Sandy" about Wednesday or Thursday.

Not as much force by a long way, but certainly something they could do without up there.

Let's hope this is one the forecasters get wrong.

While out in Belize, I spent a week with a mate in Mexico City, and while walking around "touristing" we saw the enormous, multi-storey, glass fronted hotels lining some of the streets, and one of us commentied "if there is ever an earthquake those are going to come down like giant razor-blades!" We returned to Belize, and the following day the devastating earthquake happened. There, but for the grace........

Hello everyone,

Had a short text reply from Pete, late this afternoon, in answer to my text, "Any power yet? How's things going?"

His reply was a lot more words than my questions! So that's a positive.

"No power yet - we do have hot water though - our local power pole snapped - hence shortage. Hope to go to N.Y. today, Best, Pete."

It sounds like it's going to be a long haul in New Jersey before things get anything like.

Maybe we'll get a message on RMweb in the next couple of days?

Fingers crossed, All the best,

John.

Mmmm, post 100, and I see there's still no posts from Pete yet and I've heard nothing direct either.

I suppose we must assume that he's still without power to his home, otherwise there would surely be a post in Early Risers?

I don't think I could manage for this long without electricity - no telly, no spotlights, no soldering iron, no RMweb! - where at least 26 of us are wondering how he's going on (see post 98).

So, I think I'll send him another text tomorrow, after the excitement of the Presidential elections blows over.

All the best, John.

Archived