The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Microsoft Outlook question

250BOB

Hi Guys,

I use Microsoft Outlook for emails, but have a question.

When I fetch up a new email screen...then for instance type the first letter into the "To" line....a drop down list appears of lots of names, some of which I have never heard of. The ones at the top are the regulars that I contact.

Most of the names in the drop down list dont even exist in my address book.

How do they get there....how do I get rid of them as they are not in my address book to delete.??

Bob

I think they're just previous contacts within the emails that you've had - maybe even just CC people.

There's a way of removing them from the suggestions one by one, which is highlight the wrong'un and press Del, but not sure if there's a way of editing the whole list.

Try googling some combination of "outlook remove suggestions" for whatever version you have, then proceed with caution

When I start typing in the email address a single contact comes up, which changes as I carry on typing. I dont get a list pop up but then I may have an older version. I find it very usefull

You can go into your contact list via the tool bar rather than the shortcut button. Tools then address book. I can then highlight an address I want to delete and press delete on the toolbar. Double clicking on the name and you can edit it

• RMweb Gold

There is a setting in outlook somewhere where you check a box that says "add senders of received email to my contacts." Sorry I don't have outlook any more so can't tell you exactly where but think it's a tab in "options"

You need to uncheck this box or your contacts will fill up with all the random people that send you email

When I start typing in the email address a single contact comes up, which changes as I carry on typing. I dont get a list pop up but then I may have an older version. I find it very usefull

You can go into your contact list via the tool bar rather than the shortcut button. Tools then address book. I can then highlight an address I want to delete and press delete on the toolbar. Double clicking on the name and you can edit it

I can delete names in my address book with no effect when I type in the suggestion bar.......but then most of the names I want to delete are not even in myb address book...and never have been.

I think they're just previous contacts within the emails that you've had - maybe even just CC people.

There's a way of removing them from the suggestions one by one, which is highlight the wrong'un and press Del, but not sure if there's a way of editing the whole list.

Try googling some combination of "outlook remove suggestions" for whatever version you have, then proceed with caution

Yep, I tried the down arrow highlighting the name I want to delet, then hit delete....but remains in the suggestion list....stubborn or what.

Ahhhh......done it.

It was highlight the name, then shift button and delete key together did the trick.

There was no "x" on my 2003 version of Outlook Dave.

Thanks for your responses all.

Bob

Archived