Diesels on the Didsbury - Manchester South District Line

Jim76

I am aware of several types of diesel - LMS Twins, Fell, Peak, Metrovick Co-Bo and Class 31, plus Blue Pullman and Derby Lightweight DMUs to have ran over the Manchester South District line through Didsbury. I was wondering however if anyone had any knowledge on any other types of DMU and diesel locomotive (and on what traffic) that would have ran over the line? I would be grateful for any information anyone might have. Thanks, Jim.

Interesting to know, thanks to everyone who has responded so far. There is certainly a lot of scope for modelling a wide range of the early types but I wonder what of the later years until closure - did more common types run?

From what I understand the line was basically run as an extension of the Midland Main Line from S.Pancras so Peaks would have dominated on the London and Nottingham expresses. From what I can gather the BR Type 2s would have operated on the Sheffield and Derby stopping services with DMUs operating to Buxton. I would be interested to know if indeed Class 40s (and for that matter any other types) ran over the route but is hard to imagine on what traffic. At that point the 40s still hadn't been totally relegated to freight and secondary passenger - what little freight there was over the South District line would probably have been operated by Type 2s as suggested.

• RMweb Premium

For an idea about diesels on this route in its last years you could do worse than look at some of the photos from The RCTS Courtney Haydon Collection in the mystery photos section of their website:

http://www.rcts.org..../mysteryphotos/

Try going to pages 458, 528, 532-548 and 551, 553-554 amongst others by putting the page number in the following format: http://www.rcts.org....hotos/?page=551 or stick Peak Forest, Chinley, Buxton, Whatstandwell etc in the location box and see what comes up.

It's all south of Didsbury, but gives you an idea of what would have made it over Peak Forest to Manchester Central/Trafford Park in the period: as has already been said mostly class 45s and class 25s of various sorts with, apart from the DMUs, 31s showing up on passenger trains from Sheffield.

Class 40s weren't Midland motive power and so passenger services at Didsbury wouldn't have used them for the most part. They certainly cropped up a bit further north on the Fallowfield Loop and one of the Foxline books (the one on the line to Hayfield) has a 40 somewhere near Marple/New Mills, but I'm not sure what it was working and can't check as I've lent the book to someone else. Don't know if they cropped up on whatever was left of the freight over the South District later on - it was never the busiest for freight with that from the north mostly diverting off around the Fallowfield loop and more importantly at the other end most freight came off the Midland and went onto the CLC. I think 40s only became common on the ex-Midland lines in the area after the end of steam (and the South District).

One of the videos covering the Peak Forest route has a named WR class 47 at Gowhole Yard north of Chinley in 1968, but whether 47s made it to Didsbury I don't know.

Hymeks were certainly tested on the Derby line, but would have gone via Marple if running from Gorton. No idea if a test train got beyond New Mills South jct towards Didsbury and Manchester Central though! One of the Foxline books covering the area also has a class 20 being delivered from Newton-le-Willows passing through Marple as well.

I'm researching Chorlton station, but all this is a bit late for me as I'll be modelling 1950 (despite only remembering when 37s, 47s and the odd 31 were your lot on the Fallowfield Loop and the remainder of the South District was long gone)!

Simon

Looking at the Winter 1963 WTT, most of the passenger traffic through Didsbury was handled by loco-hauled trains.The only DMUs were on the 7.52am and 5.35pm Man - Cheadle Heath and the 8.26am and 6.5pm Cheadle Heath - Man return locals.

All the other trains were either Peaks or BR Type 2s, plus the remaining steam workings in the area.

Oh, and of course a certain other little known daily DMU called the "Midland Pullman"............ :stinker:

• 3 years later...

Archived