Modelling a Stream or Beck

RJL

With the winter months looming I'm thinking of extending my layout by 3ft . I'm hoping to incorporate a beck in this section to add interest. Being based around the Cleveland Ironstone mining area it's very common for the water in them to be a rusty orange colour. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way of colouring Woodland scenics Realistic water with paint or would this not work ?

Tried to attach a photo showing an example but it was too big, sorry.

Hi there,

I used the Woodland scenics realistic water

I placed weeds and the like in it, and poured the material in layer by layer

Allowing each some time to dry...

I was just wondering whether you might try this method,

allowing each layer time to dry, and then painting some rusty colour onto the surface of the material

Allow that time to dry too, and pour on the next layer......

It would take some time, but if you're not in a rush.....?

Be sure to leave a clear layer on top, for the best effect

Let us know what you decide

Cheers

EDIT: Allow some transparency of the paint too (i.e. coat thinly)

to get the full effect of being able to see deeper into the water....

• RMweb Premium

Some products are water soluble, including this one, so you could introduce some acrylic paint into it and get a 'polluted' look. In Cornwall, certain streams received some of the china clay waste and ran white for some distance, it looked like Cleopatra had pulled the plug on her bath. But I'd suggest a subtle approach with your iron ore stream, best to be restrained - scale colour and distance mean it's not as strident as you might think. To develop on Marc's point, you want the water to be tainted rather than look as if someone's just had an accident with a large tin of paint 10 yards upstream...

I remember seeing the stream/river by the miniature railway in Saltburn looking very red indeed - just as if someone had emptied a huge amount of paint in to it (perhaps they had!) but I think you would tire of seeing it there permanently on a model so I agree with the suggestion to tone it down. You may also want to vary the intensity according to the flow of hte beck.

You don't need to use Realistic Water though (unless you want to). I have a narrow stream running down my valley which is just a painted bed covererd in layers of varnish and I think it looks very realistic. whether you use the proprietary product or not you will need to get the colour right and if you are unhappy with it after incorporating it into the product, it will be an expensive waste, whereas if you only have to recoat the bed, there is little lost.

Harold.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing is, if you took a sample of the water from becks like that, and examined it, I'd bet it would be almost clear, only a HINT of colour. MOST of the colour is on the bed of the stream, having been deposited there over the years. That's the way I'd go: colour the bed and wet part of the banks, leave the water clear.

• RMweb Gold

The thing is, if you took a sample of the water from becks like that, and examined it, I'd bet it would be almost clear, only a HINT of colour. MOST of the colour is on the bed of the stream, having been deposited there over the years. That's the way I'd go: colour the bed and wet part of the banks, leave the water clear.

No, the water needs to be orange, like this one and this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought RJL sometimes there is nothing like the real thing have you tried mixing the iron oxide sludge from the bed of these becks with realistic water or water based varnish.Having grown up in the Boro I know how highly pigmented and ready to stain this stuff is.It might just work.If it does I might us it on my own ironmine based layout, just getting around to the scenery now.

• 2 months later...

Just a thought RJL sometimes there is nothing like the real thing have you tried mixing the iron oxide sludge from the bed of these becks with realistic water or water based varnish.Having grown up in the Boro I know how highly pigmented and ready to stain this stuff is.It might just work.If it does I might us it on my own ironmine based layout, just getting around to the scenery now.

Thank you for that idea I'll give it a go.

Archived