Railway Modeller - Dec 2012

Ron Heggs

Our beloved Westerners 'Wencombe' is in it I believe.Whats it like Ron ?

Very good article on an extremely competently modelled and detailed layout with a large scenic section and a much smaller fiddle area

Plenty of photos over a 7 page spread - very enjoyable

I haven't bought RM for years, I read my friend's copy and he reads my BRM. However, - this month I'm buying my own copy of RM to see and have Alan's great work in print for myself ('cause it's so good). Now we learn Karhedron hopes his article on milk traffic is in there too; great - something I want to know more about. Apparently, some more modified CJF plans will also be in it; I'm always up for them. Just remembered too - forty one years to the month since I bought my first RM; December 1971 issue; in them days, 'Published on the 20th day of preceding month.' Anyway, 'Hey, local model shop, save me a copy!' Now where's that 18p...

That's right, Sammyboy. That said, far more pages in the Railway Modeller and all the other modelling magazines these days so we can settle into seven page spreads of layouts which would never have been the case all those years back. And of course, it's all in colour now = many changes have been for the better.

Also worth thinking about is the issue I quoted in the article (Jan 1970) was 3 shillings (15p). looking at the adverts the Wrenn A4 was £7-9-11 (£7-50) Ie 50 times the cost of RM.Now with the RM at £3-75, at Hattons an A4 can cost as little as £72-00 and £110, between 19 and 29 times dearer than RM so comparitively the locos are much cheaper or the mag more expensive.

I'm never too good at working out perceived values, but that's food for thought, Alan, especially considering what magazines and locos offer us these days. What I can say is, there's one thing printed or digital copies of today cannot replicate - the old ones smelled lovely and still do! And the books of the time, too. Someone told me it was the ink they used back then. Can anyone confirm that, or was it the paper? Sorry if I digress.

Archived