Chris Heighton

Hi folks!

Thought it was about time to break cover with my latest project: an ex-NER V1 brake van, sold into industrial use with the Concert Ironworks Company. The prototype has led an interesting life, and is still in regular use on the Tanfield Railway as the Pway tool van:

post-11803-0-93263300-1352577144_thumb.jpg

As you can clearly see, it has been modified since its' NER days, with the ducket removed, several lamp-irons removed, new windows cut into the ducket end and the footboards shortened. It's still in quite good nick for a vehicle in more-or-less constant use since the 1890's!

The obvious starting point would be Connoisseur Models' V1 Brake van kit, so I bought one off Jim at the York show this year, and made a start of the kit during the Tanfield's Gala in September. The most daunting part of the build was modifying the ducket end, and it was with some trepidation I took a pair of snips to the kit and removed the window frames. I then marked out where the new windows had to go with masking tape, before drilling holes and roughly cutting out the windows with a fine fret saw, before finishing off with files:

post-11803-0-63260200-1352577311_thumb.jpg

It was then just a case of rolling a new roof from a sheet of brass, and painting and weathering the van. The Whole vehicle got two coats of Halfords red oxide primer, which was close enough to the actual shade to make little difference. The lettering was then added using Fox Transfers' 3mm Gill Sans white lettering (these, I discovered, were too big to represent the prototype lettering - a mistake I made when measuring the originals, but look good nonetheless), each letter applied individually - my poor eyes!. This was then sealed in using Phoenix satin varnish aerosol; once it had set the body was given a wash with railmatch matt black.

For weathering, I dry-brushed on Railmatch 406 "Sleeper Grime", before giving the axleboxes and "W" irons a once over with Tamiya weathering powders - Oil Stain, Rust and a hint of Burnt Blue to highlight the oil spills a bit. All that remains now is to add a floor and the glazing, then take it down the Bait Room at the Tanfield for everyone to have a good look at!

post-11803-0-09963100-1352578162_thumb.jpg

post-11803-0-41439100-1352578172_thumb.jpg

Please not that the final two pictures were taken under artificial light in the evening, and doesn’t show off the weathering to best effect, as well as bleaching out the colours somewhat. I'll try to get some shot in natural daylight if any occurs between now and April!

-Chris.

Guest Isambarduk

Very nice work, Chris. You've captured the prototype extremely well (just need to blacken/darken those three-link couplings now :-) David

Took the model down to the Tanfield this weekend to let the guys and girls have a look at it. Comments were generally very positive, apart from people commenting that the model was in far better nick than the real thing!

I managed to get a couple of shots of the model with the real thing, but only on my crappy 'phone camera. Still, at least it got me out of the firebox of Renishaw for a bit (four hours needle gunning the tube plate and foundation ring - I still can taste the rust now!)

post-11803-0-94633200-1353430586_thumb.jpg

The colour is quite a good match for the real thing, and the weathering looks better in natural light.

post-11803-0-94676800-1353430569_thumb.jpg

Van on a van - quite a smokey atmosphere due to an epic cold start from the railway's RSH Huskey shunter!

Lovely work Chris. Of course Connosieur kits are so good the hardest part is typing the company name into a search... ...I would imagine the brass was a pain to work as I found the etches to be quite thick and tough. An excellent little project.

It's a shame that we can't replicate a bit of wood rot in brass easily!

Archived