Point Rodding

The layout I'm working on now will have my first ever attempt at rodding, so I hope I'm doing it the right way. I did think about it briefly and concluded that it should definitely be ballast first. The thought of trying to lay ballast and an ash cess around all those stools and beneath the rodding, keeping it clear of the cranks, ensuring that none of the glue bridged the gaps, and I didn't end up with little bits of ballast jammed in all manner of places where they shouldn't be, etc. put me off any thought of doing it the other way. By comparison, i hope that drilling holes in the solidified ballast, unlike the real thing, will be quite straightforward.

Of course, I could be wrong...

Nick

Guest Ballroomjaffa

Personally, i would add the stools and crank bases first, then put the ballast down, and then put the rodding/cranks etc on once happy.

• RMweb Gold

I if the point rodding is working you would have to ballast first due to the risk of gumming it up even if non working you would probably still have problems with the ballast gumming it up and spoiling the appearance. The fly in the ointment would be that you could not then spray paint the rodding. I have had no problem drilling holes though ballast ( to fit extra wires for DCC) but I do use and old drill as it probably doesn't do the drill much good. The ballast might make the drill wander a little probably easier to make the hole oversize then use some suitable filler.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Just had a look through the new 2mm SA Track Book there is a section on modelling point rodding but it doesn't mention as to fixing it before or after ballasting so far as I can see.

Don

• RMweb Gold

When I built Bleakhouse Road, I ballasted first and added the rodding afterwards. It became a labour of love, as cutting the ballast out to get the stools level was a real pain. Now with Callow Lane, I've put the whole rodding run in first, and ballasted afterwards. It was much easier this way.

Only a possible suggestion, but what about using cardboard templates for points where only the areas where you want ballast are cut out. The areas where you don't want ballast not cut out. Is this a feasible proposition, so you can lift the cardboard templates and tip off the surplus ballast ?

Dennis

Archived