A question about 47/7 headcode lights

Waverley47708

I was planning on getting Bachmann’s new 477 renumbered and renamed to 47708 Waverley, it got me looking at the head codes to check Bachmann's 47710 Sir Walter Scott would be a suitable donor loco.

It was then I noted that in 1985 photos 47708 in ScotRail had the flush grey disc type head code marker lights at No 1 and No 2 end. This gave me a problem as the Bachmann model of 47710 has two different head code marker lights, flush grey discs at No 1 end and non flush lights at No 2 end. After looking into it a bit further I noted that in some 1986 photos 47708 has the same arrangement as the Bachmann model of 47710, that is grey flush marker lights at No 1 end and the different type at the other. As I looked at more photos of 47/7s I noted this pattern seems to have been the norm from 1986.

My question is, is it only a coincidence or was it normal for 47/7s to have two different ends, and if so why have one type of lights at one end and another at the opposite end?

I understand that 47/7s tended to be formed up when doing push pull services with No2 end leading rather than No1 end, seemingly this was due to the No 2 end being quieter than the No 1 end for the driver’s benefit, I assume this preference in running No2 end at the front is not connected to the variation in headoce marker lights.

It got me looking at the Bachmann 47s I have from that period, Rail Riders and The Queen Mother, they to follow the same pattern.

As far as I know all the 47s from the about 1984 onwards (the year not the loco, lol) lost their grey marker light units at no. 2 end in favour of the sealed beam type. This was because the grey marker light type were lit by the original bulbs from the headcode panel and these had to be removed when an additional driver vigilance device was added into the cab end at no. 2 end, hence the need for sealed beam lights at that end. Obviously due to crash damage other 47s got flush style ends or sometimes sealed beam lights at no. 1 end.

Here is a photo of 47708 dated July 28th 1985 with sealed beam lights at no. 2 end: http://class47.co.uk...=1691020093000# . I would say that the 47s got fitted as they went through works, in the case of the 47/7s it would also probably be when they got ScotRail livery.

• RMweb Gold

when an additional driver vigilance device was added into the cab end at no. 2 end,

For accuracy the addition was the speed sensing equipment that would put the brakes on if the direction selector was moved to 'Engine Only' while the loco was moving at more than about 3MPH. Previously this had been possible and doing so would bypass the 'deadmans' Locos so fitted had SSF stenciled across the inside of the cab roof. This was to do with the move to single manning of locos.

Andi

Thank you to Dagworth for the clarification, I could never remember the exact use of the equipment that was installed.

To Raffles: that's why I included "probably" in my final sentance. Although I couldn't find any immediate examples I was pretty sure that somebody would!

Archived