flashing tail lamp in 00

• RMweb Premium

Express Models do a couple of types - horizontal and vertical mounting depending on where the wires go. I think they are battery powered.

If you are using DCC, you can make your own using accessory decoders and LED's and power it from the track. Sometimes a bit more expensive that the battery powered units, but they take up less space and don't need new batteries.

Cheers,

Mick

Express Models do a couple of types - horizontal and vertical mounting depending on where the wires go. I think they are battery powered.

If you are using DCC, you can make your own using accessory decoders and LED's and power it from the track. Sometimes a bit more expensive that the battery powered units, but they take up less space and don't need new batteries.

Cheers,

Mick

Ok Mick ,now you have to tell us how to do it with DCC ??? :-)

Hi

I have fitted a flashing tail light mounted within the rear cab of a class 66 F/l

A standard tail light was used and I drilled out the red lens and fitted a small piece of fiber optic

clear and attached a small flashing LED with the necessory resistor and connected it to the green

wire from the Decoder the positive end of the LED was wired to the Blue lead from the decoder

By using the green feed from the decoder function 1 will accitivate the rear light

Hope this helps

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I have fitted a flashing tail light mounted within the rear cab of a class 66 F/l

A standard tail light was used and I drilled out the red lens and fitted a small piece of fiber optic

clear and attached a small flashing LED with the necessory resistor and connected it to the green

wire from the Decoder the positive end of the LED was wired to the Blue lead from the decoder

By using the green feed from the decoder function 2 will accitivate the rear light

Hope this helps

David

A bit like this one? ( I thought I'd posted this on RMWeb in early 2011, but can't find it) EDIT: - found it http://www.rmweb.co....g-my-tail-lamp/

post-408-0-47871100-1353005355_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-54518000-1353006324.jpg

The red light leakage isn't visible to the naked eye!

Although I used a standard LED and programmed the decoder output to flash. This is dependent on the decoder. The above loco is used at the rear of an engineers train and is fitted with an ESU Loksound with a custom sound file - idling only. The ESU can be programmed to flash as a "strobe" and the flash rate can be varied. Other decoders may only have a fixed strobe or a "square wave" flash. IIRC, the Group Standard for flashing tail lamps is 1.5-2Hz

Ok Mick ,now you have to tell us how to do it with DCC ??? :-)

This is a Bachmann TEA

post-408-0-82122200-1353005571_thumb.jpg

The decoder is in the tank barrel and this is the pickup arrangement.

post-408-0-12153800-1353005737_thumb.jpg

And the end result - the steam heat pipes have since been fitted correctly!

post-408-0-67712200-1353005757_thumb.jpg

I've also done a MFA, JPA & PNA with similar lights.

In one case, I recycled an old Lenz loco decoder that had a faulty motor circuit and one dead function output.

Here's another two decoder operated tail lamps http://www.rmweb.co....hp?f=10&t=20179

Cheers,

Mick

A DIY function decoder should fit in most stock and will provide directional outputs for a red led at both ends of a brake van for instance.

Here is one I made, it has three outputs, one for a tail light at each end and another for the interior light. You need to buy the enhanced firmware when you get the kit if you want the flashing battery tail light option though (standard firmware just has oil lamp version).

post-7495-0-67326000-1353006230.jpg

Must get round to fitting it in a brake van.

A bit like this one? ( I thought I'd posted this on RMWeb in early 2011, but can't find it) EDIT: - found it http://www.rmweb.co....g-my-tail-lamp/

post-408-0-47871100-1353005355_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-54518000-1353006324.jpg

The red light leakage isn't visible to the naked eye!

Although I used a standard LED and programmed the decoder output to flash. This is dependent on the decoder. The above loco is used at the rear of an engineers train and is fitted with an ESU Loksound with a custom sound file - idling only. The ESU can be programmed to flash as a "strobe" and the flash rate can be varied. Other decoders may only have a fixed strobe or a "square wave" flash. IIRC, the Group Standard for flashing tail lamps is 1.5-2Hz

This is a Bachmann TEA

post-408-0-82122200-1353005571_thumb.jpg

The decoder is in the tank barrel and this is the pickup arrangement.

post-408-0-12153800-1353005737_thumb.jpg

And the end result - the steam heat pipes have since been fitted correctly!

post-408-0-67712200-1353005757_thumb.jpg

I've also done a MFA, JPA & PNA with similar lights.

In one case, I recycled an old Lenz loco decoder that had a faulty motor circuit and one dead function output.

Here's another two decoder operated tail lamps http://www.rmweb.co....hp?f=10&t=20179

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for taking the time to post and explain Much appreciated buddy :-)

Archived