RMweb

Wright writes.....

Thanks Tom,

I'd rather hoped you'd consider making an LNER DVD on LB next year. From what others have said, I think it's definitely on. I'll start making plans. 

One thing that LB does very well is to play host to a large number of visiting locos and stock. I've said this before, but because it isn't DCC just about anything can run on it. 

Today, three friends from the Potteries visited and we ran the sequence - perfectly, apart from my forgetting this or that switch, but I have to live with that. One brought some lovely models he's (in the main) made or painted. Another brought some beautiful EM Gauge locos.

The OO Gauge locos and stock included...........

attachicon.gifAuto train 01.jpg

attachicon.gifAuto train 02.jpg

This rather jolly little train made and painted by Bob Paddison. I think the 2-4-2T is a M&L kit and the two carriages are modified Ratio. 

attachicon.gifBR Standard 2 2-6-0.jpg

Bob also did everything on this DJH BR Class 2 2-6-0.

attachicon.gifDerby Lightweight DMU.jpg

As he did with the DC Models Derby Lightweight DMU.

attachicon.gifPrincess.jpg

And this K's Princess.

attachicon.gifH2.jpg

Bob completed this DJH H2 and painted it.

attachicon.gifStephenson Black Five.jpg

Paul Bromige built this Stephenson motion Black Five from a DJH kit and Bob painted it. 

attachicon.gifK3.jpg

This scratch-built K3 was bought at auction for just over £100.00!

All the above ran perfectly.

Returning to the DVD theme, I'm astonished how bare LB looks in the two you've posted. It really will benefit from another 'shoot', especially with so much work (by many people) now completed. Not only that, the RTR locos shown in the earlier scenes have now gone, as has the last of the awful tension-locks. 

I think it'll look great in LNER pre-War guise, so can we do both that and BR? 

Finally, 700 pages! My thanks to all those who've contributed so much to this thread.

One of the finest selection of locomotives posted in some time. I love the 'jolly little train', bags of character. A special shout out for the Stephenson link valve gear as well.

• RMweb Premium

I imagine that a Sam or two will be available, at least. Plans for a B3 exist, but the "to build" list keeps getting re-shuffled!

no problem,, we have one plus a B5 and a B8

Bax

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tom,

I'd rather hoped you'd consider making an LNER DVD on LB next year. From what others have said, I think it's definitely on. I'll start making plans. 

One thing that LB does very well is to play host to a large number of visiting locos and stock. I've said this before, but because it isn't DCC just about anything can run on it. 

Today, three friends from the Potteries visited and we ran the sequence - perfectly, apart from my forgetting this or that switch, but I have to live with that. One brought some lovely models he's (in the main) made or painted. Another brought some beautiful EM Gauge locos.

The OO Gauge locos and stock included...........

attachicon.gifAuto train 01.jpg

attachicon.gifAuto train 02.jpg

This rather jolly little train made and painted by Bob Paddison. I think the 2-4-2T is a M&L kit and the two carriages are modified Ratio. 

attachicon.gifBR Standard 2 2-6-0.jpg

Bob also did everything on this DJH BR Class 2 2-6-0.

attachicon.gifDerby Lightweight DMU.jpg

As he did with the DC Models Derby Lightweight DMU.

attachicon.gifPrincess.jpg

And this K's Princess.

attachicon.gifH2.jpg

Bob completed this DJH H2 and painted it.

attachicon.gifStephenson Black Five.jpg

Paul Bromige built this Stephenson motion Black Five from a DJH kit and Bob painted it. 

attachicon.gifK3.jpg

This scratch-built K3 was bought at auction for just over £100.00!

All the above ran perfectly.

Returning to the DVD theme, I'm astonished how bare LB looks in the two you've posted. It really will benefit from another 'shoot', especially with so much work (by many people) now completed. Not only that, the RTR locos shown in the earlier scenes have now gone, as has the last of the awful tension-locks. 

I think it'll look great in LNER pre-War guise, so can we do both that and BR? 

Finally, 700 pages! My thanks to all those who've contributed so much to this thread.

So the Whitchurch gang visited LB - sorry I couldn't have joined you!

• Like 1

Andy

Cutting the windows was the easy bit. The tumbleholme (spelling?) was formed by shaping several layers of plasticard then applying a final layer over the top. The glazing was slid in from roof level between the aforementioned layers after painting of the sides was complete. The roof was formed by heating plasticard, over a carved former, under the oven grill then quickly pressing a block of form down on it completing the shaping while it cools. Each roof takes about  thirty seconds but setting it up takes a bit longer. I used 20thou material. The hardest part is carving off the excess to achieve a nice fit.

I made  a Sentinel railcar (sides, ends and roof) using the same technique. 

Note: don't use a gas grill. It's too severe and I achieved a very wrinkled result!!!

Arthur

I have seen a bus modeller form tumblehomes and roofs using a candle. 

• RMweb Gold

He sells them on the Shapeways shop along with various other bits of 3D Cadded items he has designed and produced...

even N gauge locos

Baz

Baz

Are you able to give a link to his Shapeways shop?

Tony

Thanks Tom,

Pleasure Tony, that will be great and I look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

I used to stay with cousins close to Hemerdon Bank back in the early 60's. I don't recall steam loco's making such hard work of it, although long trains (which the one in the clip isn't) were usually double headed. Quality of coal?

A little bit of research would seem to indicate an inexperienced firing technique that resulted in falling steam pressure on the climb. The V2 in comparison was checked at the bottom of the bank but had a good fire and plenty of steam. Both locomotives resorted to full regulator and full forward gear. A case of sitting back, thinking of England, and hoping that the wheels held the rail.

• Like 1

Will there be a need for a 'spare' Silver Jubilee on the LB Wind Back? Mine's coming along quite nicely, inspired by recent posts on here...

sRcfHbn.jpg

Very nice Tom. I believe you purchased this from a Mr Wealleans......if that is right, then the kit use to be mine! ;) I horse traded it with JW for some....dare I say it, GWR coach building.

Very nice Tom. I believe you purchased this from a Mr Wealleans......if that is right, then the kit use to be mine! ;) I horse traded it with JW for some....dare I say it, GWR coach building.

Thanks Tom, yes thats right I did remember him mentioning that. I hope I'm doing it some justice so far, it is a very nice kit. GWR eh?! Don't worry my 2mm layout is GWR :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just to redress the balance, a fine clip of 5043 over Shap, a better engine than 5029 in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6ol0rXVXZI

And the NRM's two and a half cylinder V2 slogging up Hemerdon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knuXHDVR9uU

9 on and going better than the Castle. However, Castle or V2, what a glorious sight and sound. That syncopated V2 beat is lovely and is almost as beautiful as a Bulleid's sound. :angel: 

Phil

• Like 2

I wonder if those timber cottages were built post-WW1 as an early version of the WW2 'prefab'? There was a very similar structure next to my primary school (Furnace CP, Llanelli), built next to the old Cille colliery. Might they have originally been military 'temporary structures' from WW1?

Great stuff Tony - the first photo in particular has a fantastic sense of depth, how far was the camera away from train?

John

Thanks John,

The camera was just under three feet from the train. I used a fairly wide-angle lens (24mm) and focused it to about two feet, setting the aperture at F29. Then, with the ASA at 100, a five second exposure with pulses of fill-in flash seemed to have done the trick. 

I'm quite pleased with the result because the MR/M&GNR bit is only 12' long (way, way too much selective compression), but the too tight curves at the end don't show. 

Actually, the presence of a B1 on the 'Leicester' would be very, very unusual. However, towards the end of the line's existence nobody bothered that its RA rating was two too much - if it caused a bridge to collapse (not on the Bourne-Saxby section, which was heavily-engineered), then the route was closing, anyway. The model B1 is the one actually used. I made it using a Bachmann body on top of a Comet chassis. The Buffet Car I made from the D&S kit (it's featured in my Crowood book) and the leading pair of LMS cars was acquired (for very little dosh) from Barry Oliver. They had no bogies and needed a bit of TLC. I made new bogies for them and substantially re-glazed them, touching up the bodywork paint at the same time.   

• Like 2