Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

Alloa is indeed a wonderful layout. 

My awarding of the pot to it at the Glasgow Show last year was because it thoroughly deserved it. It not only looks like the real place, but it also runs - perfectly. This latter point is one which is very high up on my reasons for making awards. I don't care how wonderfully-modelled or accurate a layout is, if it doesn't run properly then it has no chance in my book. 

The fact that the Alloa team ran my brand new (at the time) Scottish-allocated A2 had nothing to do with the decision. I assume it didn't let the layout down. 

I'm in an immensely privileged position at shows. I'm allowed to plonk down my (rather large) camera wherever I wish and take pictures of layouts. In fairness, this is usually towards the end of opening hours or before or after the shows are open. It was a real privilege to get the following shots of Alloa. If ever a layout proves my assertion that it's always best to model an actual prototype, this is it! 

attachicon.gifAlloa 01.jpg

attachicon.gifAlloa 02.jpg

attachicon.gifAlloa 03.jpg

attachicon.gifAlloa 04.jpg

attachicon.gifAlloa 05.jpg

attachicon.gifAlloa 06.jpg

attachicon.gifAlloa 07.jpg

Many thanks to Chas and Dave (honestly) and the rest of the crew for letting me get these shots.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony for these very kind words it is so much appreciated.

It was a pleasure to have you and your 'large camera' take a look at Alloa and I am glad we didn't disappoint.

I hope you might be equally impressed with our latest creation Larbert currently under construction and being built with the same attention to accuracy as Alloa was.

At 40ft long it will accommodate your liking for proper length trains and being a mainline station plenty of pacifics..perhaps you might reintroduce '28 to it as it was a regular through there! 

All the very best to you and you family from everyone at the Scottish Region Study Group.

Dave.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting the film on the Streamliners.  Some of the archive footage shown was most interesting. I hate to say it but I gained a respect for the streamlined duchess which hitherto I have regarded as rather bulbous and ugly. I hope the proposed backdating of LB will enable at least one of the streamlined sets to be seen and who knows perhaps Mallard herself on that run! A lovely interlude on an otherwise nondescript day.

One thing no white roofs on the LNER standard stock in the film.

Martin Long

Thank you for posting the film on the Streamliners.  Some of the archive footage shown was most interesting. I hate to say it but I gained a respect for the streamlined duchess which hitherto I have regarded as rather bulbous and ugly. I hope the proposed backdating of LB will enable at least one of the streamlined sets to be seen and who knows perhaps Mallard herself on that run! A lovely interlude on an otherwise nondescript day.

One thing no white roofs on the LNER standard stock in the film.

Martin Long

Martin,

There should be two streamliners - the Silver Jubilee and the Coronation, and, of course, MALLARD's record-breaking run! 

The business of white roofs on standard stock is often discussed. The LNER painting spec' seems to be white lead paint applied to the canvas covering. That's fine for a brand new carriage or one that's just been repaired but how many ECML journeys (or any journey) would it take before the roofs were covered in soot and weathered? Not many, irrespective of the weather.

Some I know will not countenance even the slightest hint of weathering on their locos/stock. To me it's so unnatural, so unrealistic. I'm not talking of heroic levels of filth, just a coating of soot along the tops of boilers/roofs of carriages, taking off the unreal shine on the motion, and certainly weathering frames/underframes. No carriages I know of had their roofs, underframes or bogies cleaned. Yes, sides were cleaned, along with windows (though not always), but even shiny-sided carriages should have weathered roofs and underframes. 

Weathering is often discussed on this thread. What about weathering buildings? Some layouts one sees are straight off the lid of a chocolate box, with even buildings with clean roofs.

Just about everything is weathered on Little Bytham.  

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

Thank you. Image now attached. This is a few minutes in Photoshop to make the file look degraded like the image of the real location shown earlier in the thread. Pushing the contrast this far has meant that the detail of the locomotive is pretty much lost but I think it conveys something of a 'gritty reality.' Of course spending more time on the image in Photoshop would enable to locomotive to be rendered with more detail remaining.

Personally I like the tonal contrast in the track work in this image.

The degree of contrast would indicate the use of either an orange or red filter with Ilford FP4, you could do with getting a bit of sky detail in for complete authenticity!

The degree of contrast would indicate the use of either an orange or red filter with Ilford FP4, you could do with getting a bit of sky detail in for complete authenticity!

I agree you are right. I put in a neutral tone for the sky but felt it didn't work so well and chose to remove it. Were I doing this seriously, rather than quickly playing around, I'd add a suitable sky. My thought would be about 60% high cloud cover.

Good Morning,

My last work in progress shot of 2017. My LRM J3 is now fully painted and numbered. The underframe has had a light weathering, and of course the main loco body will also be weathered, albeit lightly; these mixed traffic locomotives were quite well looked after in general by the LNER even in the late 30's. Merry Christmas to all, and all the best for a prosperous and prototypical 2018! ;)

attachicon.gifLRMJ34.JPG

attachicon.gifLRMJ35.JPG

attachicon.gifLRMJ36.JPG

attachicon.gifLRMJ37.JPG

Splendid work, Tom.

How many locos have you built now? Looking at this one, if I didn't know, I'd say you must have built dozens, even scores.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

You know my main achievement this year. It’s the ‘Wolf’ which you helped me build and my subsequent K3 where again you helped me finish off with the valve gear. Many thanks for getting me up and running with kit chassis building and may I wish you, Mo and the other followers of this great thread a happy Christmas.

Regard

Andy

Tony,

You know my main achievement this year. It’s the ‘Wolf’ which you helped me build and my subsequent K3 where again you helped me finish off with the valve gear. Many thanks for getting me up and running with kit chassis building and may I wish you, Mo and the other followers of this great thread a happy Christmas.

Regard

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I might have helped you, but you did by far the majority of the work, on both locos. 

Regards,

Tony. 

post-18225-0-76460100-1514228002_thumb.jpg

Christmas presents come in many varieties. The 'Bytham' sign was mine from Ian Wilson. How appropriate.

It's a facsimile of the sign on both ends of the signal box, made to scale (like the original) from wood. One of the originals is in the Toby Norris pub in Stamford.

The GNR never qualified 'Bytham', though the M&GNR did. 

The ER 'sausage' sign was cut from vinyl - a service offered at shows, and very realistic. 

Do other layouts have personal signage? 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 11

By contrast with our leaders manifold achievements in 2017, I regret that I can report very little. I have been involved in a spiral of doubt and discouragement and perhaps misplaced effort which has permeated my modelling ambitions. I have also had other things thrust upon me such as clearing two late friends estates which have taken an inordinate amount of modelling time,

I have to confess that I have oftimes thought of giving up on 7mm as the space and money tied up in my efforts would get me a very long way in another scale!

However, I am always cheered and encouraged by visiting this thread and particularly the wonderful pictures that are posted here. Thank you so much.

Martin Long

• RMweb Gold

This is not a new picture but was the first I found.

post-4738-0-62078700-1514228988_thumb.jpg

The totem was purchased at auction about 4-5 years ago and was originally under the canopy on the up side at Sandy. It was the second totem I had bid on but turned out to be in much better condition than the first,  and I secured it for several hundred pounds less.

​The plan above is a copy of a 1911 GN boundary plan at 50' to the inch, it covers the GN main line from Stratford Brook to just North of Sandy and the flyover of the LNWR to Bedford (just over a mile)

• Like 8

One of my Christmas presents was Tony's book "Modelling the East Coast Main Line". Whilst barred out of the kitchen this afternoon whilst cooking was in progress (I can burn water !!) I sat down with a glass and had a quick read. What a lovely, well illustrated and informative book this is. A credit to Tony and his layout. Another book I got, a must for GN / Yorkshire fans is Great Northern Outpost Volume 2 - The Halifax, Thornton & Keighley Railway. All colour, the photos are mostly dated towards the end of these lines in the late 50's / mid 60's when they were in a bit of a sad state, one line only in use, heavily overgrown etc, none the less this is a book (like Tony's) that is hard to put down once you pick it up. There are some quite stunning photos in it.

Achievements this year are difficult to show. Mainly maintenance, clearing up, sorting boxes and boxes of stuff - discovering things I bought years ago that I had forgotten about etc. I revised some track work to make operations more realistic, added long awaited point motors to a couple of hard to reach points and a few other such jobs we all keep putting off. Now all that is done I have some stock building to do in 2018, mainly wagons & Kirk LNER coach kits - (A quad art & a twin). On the Loco front - that's about it - I have more than enough (but I have said that before !!), Oh, and detailing, loco lamps, some light weathering etc etc. Never ending isn't it !!

Anyway, thanks Tony and all others who make this thread (to me) a real source of inspiration in many matters railway. 

Have a Happy Christmas all.

Brit15

• Like 4

One of my Christmas presents was Tony's book "Modelling the East Coast Main Line". 

Likewise, but am only now getting a chance to sit and have a proper look. 

My achievements for 2017 have all been of the 7mm variety. However, 2018 may well be shaping up for something new. I am anticipating some inspiration from the above Xmas present.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifoverall view Bytham sign.jpg

Christmas presents come in many varieties. The 'Bytham' sign was mine from Ian Wilson. How appropriate.

It's a facsimile of the sign on both ends of the signal box, made to scale (like the original) from wood. One of the originals is in the Toby Norris pub in Stamford.

The GNR never qualified 'Bytham', though the M&GNR did. 

The ER 'sausage' sign was cut from vinyl - a service offered at shows, and very realistic. 

Indeed yes, Tony. Mine came from http://www.offtherailsonline.com/ (usual disclaimer), who will make bespoke signs as well as real ones:

post-21039-0-87157300-1514241134_thumb.jpg

post-21039-0-70814300-1514241056_thumb.jpg

All the best.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

been a busy year... mainly helping to provide stock and odd bits of ballasting on two layouts (Chapel en le Frith (Central) and Shap.

Some locomotives sound fitted and weathered, some coaches and wagons built... but no layout of my own..yet!

baz

• RMweb Premium

been a busy year... mainly helping to provide stock and odd bits of ballasting on two layouts (Chapel en le Frith (Central) and Shap.

Some locomotives sound fitted and weathered, some coaches and wagons built... but no layout of my own..yet!

baz

You've been saying that for as long as I've known you...