RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Superimposed on this is the fact that basic skills are not taught in schools these days and, though I and others did not have schooling in woodwork or metalwork, we learned things from fathers and other relatives. These days these sources are probably clueless too. 

This is undoubtedly true and also applies to railways in 12 inches to the foot scale.

In the early years of preservation, some spectacular rebuilds were achieved of locomotives from Barry scrapyard.  I remember the example of "Bodmin" at the Watercress Line, rebuilt entirely by volunteers in a tent, but it was easy to find a team of 20 enthusiastic people who did heavy engineering for a living.  Nowadays you might get 2 people with the right skills and another 18 will volunteer to paint things or run the website.  

• RMweb Premium

This is undoubtedly true and also applies to railways in 12 inches to the foot scale.

In the early years of preservation, some spectacular rebuilds were achieved of locomotives from Barry scrapyard. I remember the example of "Bodmin" at the Watercress Line, rebuilt entirely by volunteers in a tent, but it was easy to find a team of 20 enthusiastic people who did heavy engineering for a living. Nowadays you might get 2 people with the right skills and another 18 will volunteer to paint things or run the website.

Having been involved with heritage lines at the 'sharp end' for many years, I couldn't agree more. I was taught at school by the fearsome Mr Broomfield to use a lathe, machines and hand tools are second nature to me but nowadays most folk struggle to use a file correctly. I find the lack of mechanical understanding, let alone practical handskills is worryingly widespread. Edited by TrevorP1

• RMweb Premium

Having been involved with heritage lines at the 'sharp end' for many years, I couldn't agree more. I was taught at school by the fearsome Mr Broomfield to use a lathe, machines and hand tools are second nature to me but nowadays most folk struggle to use a file correctly. I find the lack of mechanical understanding, let alone practical handskills is worryingly widespread.

Your Mr Broomfield and my Mr Carter were training us for a future in manufacturing industry. Today we need to train people for the jobs that they may undertake on leaving education, not jobs that were around 50 years ago.

I think that the "dominance of RTR" is strictly in the minds of OO modellers.  Go over to the narrow gauge forum "NGRM online" and you will find very few modellers depending on RTR - until very recently there simply wasn't any.  Move away from 4 and 2mm scales and again RTR doesn't dominate (or in some cases even play at all).  Move away from OO to EM or P4 and again kit and scratchbuilding comes to the fore.  OO modelling isn't the whole hobby. There are a lot of serious kit and scratchbuilders out there.

I'm not bothered too much by gauges and scales, along as there is still a group of people still wanting to make things for themselves and show the results I'm happy.

Edited by Headstock

Back in post 21388 on this thread, there is mention of a Louth Quad set produced by David Eastern. As I would like to get hold of a set of these (presumably etches) I have tried contacting the original poster without success.

Does anyone have contact details for this source (David Eastern) they could let me have please, in the hope of being able to purchase this coach component set. Response by PM.

Thanks, SteveT.

Steve

My apologies for missing your PM. I note I made an error in my earlier post it should have been Nick Easton not David Eastern. I have sent PM with his contact details.

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Recent posts move me to make a couple of my occasional observations .....

Good evening Jol,

[snip] 

As for those who just put up obstacles to prevent them making things, well, it's their money and if they derive pleasure from what they buy/commission, then nobody has a right to deny them that (not that I'm suggesting you're doing that). They have the pleasure of their possessions, not their creations. 

Regards,

Tony.  

Guilty (if charged).I do indeed take pleasure from my R-T-R possessions (and the vague rose-tinted memories that sparked the purchases).  But I can also take creative pleasure from the layout they run on, which stretched my constructional abilities (in wood, card, electrics and scenery) to their limit (and beyond).  I happily acknowledge it's building the stuff that runs, and that it runs on, that sorts out the men from the boys - I guess I never grew up!  But there's more to playing with trains than the trains and the tracks.

On the subject of LB and Peterborough North, both of which I greatly admire, I can't see any significant difference between obtaining contributors' input with money earned from the application of skills outside the hobby, and the bartering of items created by the application of skills within it - the things you barter have a financial value, even if you don't explicitly identify it.

Chris (aged 66 and a half)

P.S.  I don't "put up" the obstacles - they are there and real, and always have been.  I wish they weren't.  You can acquire skills, but not aptitude.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif60136 on Down express.jpg

This shot has appeared before. It shows 60136 ALCAZAR on a Down express in the summer of 1961, two years after the station closed at Little Bytham. The photographer was standing on the (closed) MR/M&GNR formation just to the north. 

Tony, may I ask what is the fifth coach behind Alcazar?

Phil

Andrew you are of course correct. 

We (Hungerford) currently have 5 and 2 x ½ loco's running that originate from the Messrs Mitchell and Finney stables.  These are in no particular order:  a Mitchell 44xx, a Finney Stella (with moving inside valve gear), a Finney Hall (also with moving valve gear), and a Mitchell 517 and a Mitchell Saint.  The 2 halves relate to a Mogul that started life as a Mainline model but which received Mitchell replacements for the cab, firebox and boiler.  This model then received replacement frames built from a Perseverance kit.  In hindsight this model was utter madness on my part, and as Ian Rathbone commented when he painted it for me it would have been easier to build a complete Mitchell kit rather than modify the Mainline model this extensively. The other half model is a Jap Brass King that has received a complete Mitchell replacement chassis.  This has been built ala Guy William's approach so that the valve spindles and inside crossheads move.  I have tracked down photo's of all but 2 of these models:

attachicon.gif4409 Reverses into Yard.jpgattachicon.gif4905 Barton Hall Derek Shore.jpgattachicon.gifStella on Bridge.jpgattachicon.gifSaint in Hungerford Station.jpgattachicon.gifHybrid Mogul.JPG

Regards,

Frank

(N.B: Middle photo's courtesy of Derek Shore)

Nice locomotives and well constructed.

Regards

Peter

• RMweb Gold

I've been informed that Steffan Lewis, the builder of P4 layout Maindee East, has passed away in his sleep. In his professional life Steffan was also a piano tuner who did work for my family, so this is doubly upsetting. He was a lovely man and I always enjoyed catching up with him at shows in the area, as I expected to next week in Cardiff.

Al

We (Hungerford) currently have 5 and 2 x ½ loco's running that originate from the Messrs Mitchell and Finney stables.  These are in no particular order:  a Mitchell 44xx, a Finney Stella (with moving inside valve gear), a Finney Hall (also with moving valve gear), and a Mitchell 517 and a Mitchell Saint.  The 2 halves relate to a Mogul that started life as a Mainline model but which received Mitchell replacements for the cab, firebox and boiler.  This model then received replacement frames built from a Perseverance kit.  In hindsight this model was utter madness on my part, and as Ian Rathbone commented when he painted it for me it would have been easier to build a complete Mitchell kit rather than modify the Mainline model this extensively. The other half model is a Jap Brass King that has received a complete Mitchell replacement chassis.  This has been built ala Guy William's approach so that the valve spindles and inside crossheads move.  I have tracked down photo's of all but 2 of these models:

attachicon.gif4409 Reverses into Yard.jpgattachicon.gif4905 Barton Hall Derek Shore.jpgattachicon.gifStella on Bridge.jpgattachicon.gifSaint in Hungerford Station.jpgattachicon.gifHybrid Mogul.JPG

Regards,

Frank

Good morning Frank,

I thought I was covering all bases, but half a locomotive didn't occur to me. Now that you've been converted from the Gresley Was Right to the Late and Never Early, you will have to start employing some of Mr Marshe's 3d printed lamps. He can l whistle up a full set of LNER types including both passenger and freight tail lamps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been informed that Steffan Lewis, the builder of P4 layout Maindee East, has passed away in his sleep. In his professional life Steffan was also a piano tuner who did work for my family, so this is doubly upsetting. He was a lovely man and I always enjoyed catching up with him at shows in the area, as I expected to next week in Cardiff.

Al

Really saddended to hear this - I've met Steffan on several occasions when he was exhibiting Maindee East (one of my all-time favourite layouts - I mentioned both Steffan and his layout in a post just a couple of days ago, regarding his excellent crane model.

He surely can't have been very old.

Brian

post-3097-0-82363700-1515944486_thumb.jpg

Tony wrote a couple of days ago that he had only ever seen 3 completed LRM K2's. Well here's mine, so perhaps there are rather more kits bought & built than often thought?

William

PS. Having photographed it I realise that I need to have another go at the weathering

• Like 17

Al

Stunned to hear this very sad news. Steffan was a truly gifted modeller I first met many years ago when he was exhibiting Aberhafren, a large P4 roundy roundy based

on Aberystwyth and his "Maindee East" is  rightly regarded as a masterpiece. Last saw him a couple of years ago when he was showing ME at Southampton.

RIP Steffan you will be sorely missed. 

• RMweb Gold

Stunned to hear this very sad news. Steffan was a truly gifted modeller I first met many years ago when he was exhibiting Aberhafren, a large P4 roundy roundy based

on Aberystwyth and his "Maindee East" is  rightly regarded as a masterpiece. Last saw him a couple of years ago when he was showing ME at Southampton.

RIP Steffan you will be sorely missed. 

Maindee East was nearly destroyed at one point, as I understand. Steffan had broken down on the way back from an exhibition and the layout had been loaded into a replacement

van, but something worked loose and it was badly damaged. I saw him a week or two after and he was adamant that it was destined for the scrapheap, but eventually he had a change

of heart and repaired it. It was (is) a fine layout, which I was fortunate to see on many occasions in the area. I never saw Aberhafren but I do remember the article on it in Railway

Modeller.

Al

Jesse,

Good morning.

I dunno what weekend either (may I please rephrase that to 'I don't know which weekend'?), but I imagine it'll be either the second or last weekend in August (we're at Southwold and Pickering that month). Obviously, we'll accommodate you and two others (unless, in these enlightened times, two blokes share a double bed, then it can be five), and we'll see about all pooling resources to take the rooms at the Willoughby).  

Some of the Grantham crew are up for it (they'd better be, because it'll be mainly their stock!) and I imagine I'll clear the layout of my stock during the week, spend the best part of an evening/morning putting on the LNER stuff (and thoroughly testing it), then a day and a half filming (you and Tom). 

The plan is for Tom to shoot a further DVD by the spring of next year showing Little Bytham in its current guise, then the LNER period one. Thinking about it, it might be a good idea to do a DVD of Grantham at some point - are you chaps interested? 

Regards,

Tony.  

This is exquisite work.

Many thanks for posting again. 

Don't forget two days of teaching, I need those English classes again. 

Sorry about the lateness, been away these past few weeks. I'll be organising my trip in the next month, so I'll keep in contact via email, let me know if anything changes, thank you for the accommodation. I am trying to hire a car for my trip this year, so that will make things a lot easier. 

Of course I don't mind helping at all with the stock changeover, I will try to plan to be a day or two early to help with anything else as well. 

Much  appreciated. 

Tony, may I ask what is the fifth coach behind Alcazar?

Phil

It's a Gresley RF, Phil (as in the prototype photo). It's my usual hybrid of mutilated Hornby donor, with MJT sides fitted, MJT heavy-duty bogies and various other bits and pieces added, then the whole lot painted with Halfords Ford Burgundy red.

Regards,

Frank

Thanks Frank,

I should cultivate a better memory. I think one of those photographs is mine. 

Regards,

Tony.