Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

It being day 10 of my 9-day fortnight, I am off work today and decided to take a break from my current task of adding lamps to a Hornby J50 (tiresomely, the superglue refused to hold the lamp to the mount on the smokebox door, and every time it fell off it deposited yet another glue stain on the paintwork. Correcting it will take some work with the weathering powders) to see what the chat's been on Wright Writes.

Is there no escape?!

I entirely agree with Mr Crawley's point about locomotives heading off unready for service. In my case, I haven't been as diligent as I ought to have been about fire irons (I went hunting around the Glasgow exhibition for them and found none at all, and precious few lamps; never mind kit-building, even basic titivation seems to be a dying art) but there are few more pleasant ways to pass an evening in front of the fire than adding lamps, coal and a crew to a locomotive. On my older models, sometimes I break out the 4/0 brushes and paint the cab backheads as well. It's not that difficult, and it makes such a difference. 

As regards weathering/toning-down white lamps once fitted, I use Tamiya X-19 Smoke. It flows nicely into crevices and has the effect of thinning down, through a trompe l'oeil, the oversized white handles on Springside lamps. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tim,

I hope I've not misled anyone, but when I photographed Bob Essery's MR locos in Scale Seven, they had red lamps. 

However, as Tony Gee suggests, never copy a model................ 

In BR days, I seem to recall that some of the crimson-liveried Duchesses carried lined crimson lamps when 'bulled-up' for special occasions.

I definitely recall that MR 1000, after restoration, had a set of matching lined crimson lamps.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

Malcolm was quite right, though not every loco I have has fire irons (especially where they're hidden in a 'tunnel'). 

attachicon.gifLamps 12 overscale lamps.jpg

Your point about over-scale lamps is well-made. These are Springside BR ones, and they're huge on the front of this modified Bachmann A1.

attachicon.gifBachmann A1 60125 Scottish Union.jpg

Lanarkshire Models Supplies' lamps are much nearer scale, as can be seen here, on the same loco. 

attachicon.gifLamps Class K 02.jpg

I think these are LMS ones as well, representing GWR side-on lamps on a modified Bachmann Pannier by Tom Foster. An interesting point is the spare lamps carried on brackets on the LH footplate; GWR/WR practice. 

Regarding the body colour of lamps, it would seem that GWR ones were red, at least pre-War. LMS ones were black (ex-MR ones red). LNER ones were black or (mainly) white. Most WR pictures show white lamps, ER and NER pictures white lamps and LMR/ScR pictures a mixture of white or black lamps (occasionally on the same loco). Most are dirty, but some gleam.

Edited to clarify points.

The pannier looks to be carrying Western lamps - quite a lot of differences from LMS lamps and they show up even in that small scale

The GWR changed over to white headlamps in the Post-War period although the change had been proposed earlier.

Arrrgh! The GW has invaded LB!  Is there no where safe from this viral infection? Mr  Cyril Freezer and his ilk have a lot to answer for. Blow me at one stage i was even tempted to the dark side but now put that down to an adolescent hormone change. (That said Stratford did have a 94xx allocated there for a while and apparently it was well liked by the staff!  Then there was the panniers sent to Scotland.)

Martin Long

We have always been here Martin and undoubtedly always will !  I can recall Tony posting shots of WR locos visiting LB, I am sure they behaved impeccably to boot.

One of the drawbacks of exhibiting our primarily  MPD layout ( New Kensal Green) is the lamp issue as locos arrive/depart , other problems arise when considering coal

or lack of, and loco crewing. Any readers with quick and easy answers please seek me out behind the layout at the Dorset Model Rail exhibition at Wimborne on March

17/18th. Excuse the quick plug, Tony.

• RMweb Premium

We have always been here Martin and undoubtedly always will !  I can recall Tony posting shots of WR locos visiting LB, I am sure they behaved impeccably to boot.

One of the drawbacks of exhibiting our primarily  MPD layout ( New Kensal Green) is the lamp issue as locos arrive/depart , other problems arise when considering coal

or lack of, and loco crewing. Any readers with quick and easy answers please seek me out behind the layout at the Dorset Model Rail exhibition at Wimborne on March

If your layout is primarily an MPD, I assume that most of the loco’s would be both arriving and departing as a light engine, displaying the appropriate lamp? It was not uncommon for loco’s to also have an extra lamp tucked away on the footplate ready to be brought into use once coupled up to its train..

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

I am far from an authority and would certainly defer to the venerable Mr Essery. I will see if I can get anything definitive from Dave Harris on the matter.

edit consulting 'Midland Style' .... In 1902 a change took place ..... Passenger locomotive headlamps were painted Crimson Lake lined black and yellow .... goods engine headlamps were black unlined.

Thanks very much for the information.  My Midland Style is 700 miles away with the layout so I couldn't consult it.   I will have to buy some lamps at Doncaster in June.

Jamie

The pannier looks to be carrying Western lamps - quite a lot of differences from LMS lamps and they show up even in that small scale

The GWR changed over to white headlamps in the Post-War period although the change had been proposed earlier.

the GWR started painting lamps white in 1936. Though red lasted for many years.

Edited by Denbridge

Thanks Mike,

My reference was to Lanarkshire Model Supplies in using 'LMS'. 

It was misleading. 

They are, indeed, WR-style lamps on the pannier. 

GWR/WR motive power has always been popular on Little Bytham.

Indeed, it is a privilege to have run so many such locos, made/modified by so many friends. Some of these are even DCC-fitted!

post-18225-0-06685800-1520613464_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-35620900-1520613485_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-40166800-1520613520_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-32560500-1520613546_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-71495100-1520613572_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-82351900-1520613592_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-97088000-1520613615_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-53299400-1520613648_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-88066800-1520613670_thumb.jpg

Visiting locos are exempt from the need to carry lamps, though some of the above do. 

And, just to show how neat the Lanarkshire Model Supplies lamps look, here's the proof. 

post-18225-0-72920900-1520613770_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Chris,

Take a look at the following pictures, please. They might help. 

post-18225-0-91279200-1520614073_thumb.jpg

Though not actually on shed, this B1 at Lincoln might well be heading to the depot. It's in reverse gear, yet has a light engine code underneath its smokebox for going forwards!

post-18225-0-30888200-1520614196.jpg

Both the locos in this shot would appear to have just come on to Dalry Road Shed, in reverse. They're carrying the appropriate lamp for this.

post-18225-0-57771700-1520614272_thumb.jpg

Going forward to go off shed at York, this A3 is already lamped-up for its next northbound express. 

post-18225-0-31040200-1520614340_thumb.jpg

And this A3 is going off shed at Grantham, in reverse, already lamped-up to take its next southbound express. Neither of these A3s is on pilot duty!

post-18225-0-04168900-1520614429_thumb.jpg

This B16/1 has just come on shed at Millhouses, showing the correct lamp.

post-18225-0-42418300-1520614487_thumb.jpg

This O2 is heading for 36A, in reverse, light engine, displaying the correct lamp. Don't always be tempted to obliterate lamps with weathering.

post-18225-0-39709000-1520614577_thumb.jpg

And, why not have one clean and one dirty lamp on the front footplate? 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 15

Thanks for those interesting photos of locos around shed showing varying lamp displays Tony, it does help considerably as we have plans to expand

the running lines - currently utilised by ECS and suburban workings - to include showing the main line expresses passing that the engines leaving and

arriving on shed have ( or will have ) headed. The alternative would be much fiddling in re-positioning lamps by adopting your method involving

drilling and blu tak.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, it is a privilege to have run so many such locos, made/modified by so many friends. Some of these are even DCC-fitted!

attachicon.gifBulldog 02.jpg

attachicon.gifCastle.jpg

attachicon.gifDsc_1370.jpg

attachicon.gifDsc_1960.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_2321.JPG

attachicon.gifDsc_2341.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_2559.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_2561.JPG

attachicon.gifHall on Little Bytham.jpg

Visiting locos are exempt from the need to carry lamps, though some of the above do. 

And, just to show how neat the Lanarkshire Model Supplies lamps look, here's the proof. 

attachicon.gifLMS lamps.jpg

Not only a profligacy of panniers but i see that somebody really did sell the young man his pacific ;)

• Like 3

attachicon.gifCastle.jpg

Nice to a few of mine in that list and I think they all have lamps and crews, thank you Tony.

Chris,

Take a look at the following pictures, please. They might help. 

attachicon.gif3755 small.jpg

Though not actually on shed, this B1 at Lincoln might well be heading to the depot. It's in reverse gear, yet has a light engine code underneath its smokebox for going forwards!

attachicon.gif55233 Dalry Road Shed 31.07.55 small.jpg

Both the locos in this shot would appear to have just come on to Dalry Road Shed, in reverse. They're carrying the appropriate lamp for this.

attachicon.gifA3 60060 York 9.5.58 small.jpg

Going forward to go off shed at York, this A3 is already lamped-up for its next northbound express. 

attachicon.gifA3 60105 Grantham 21.08.60 small.jpg

And this A3 is going off shed at Grantham, in reverse, already lamped-up to take its next southbound express. Neither of these A3s are on pilot duty!

attachicon.gif61424 Millhouses Shed 16.07.55 small.jpg

This B16/1 has just come on shed at Millhouses, showing the correct lamp.

attachicon.gif63955 small.jpg

This O2 is heading for 36A, in reverse, light engine, displaying the correct lamp. Don't always be tempted to obliterate lamps with weathering.

attachicon.gif60511 small.jpg

And, why not have one clean and one dirty lamp on the front footplate? 

Evening Tony

LMS now do two different types of LNER lamp, the new one is a little larger than the original one they produced, just in case you are not aware.

The latter one even slightly larger is still a far more realistic scale than the Springside lamps and easier it's easier to handle if you want to drill out a hole in its base so it can sit over the lamp iron.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

At the recent Glasgow Show, friend 60027 MERLIN handed this over to me to borrow. 

post-18225-0-96273500-1520629477_thumb.jpg

He'd built it many years ago, using a K's P2 kit (but not K's wheels or motor). It'll be used during the LNER weekend on Little Bytham in August, but I'll also take it to Ally Pally with me for use on Grantham (if allowed). It doesn't half go!

I said to Eric I'd tidy up the lining in places if possible (it's the old Kingsprint, Letraset-style rub-on type). 

post-18225-0-01651400-1520629670_thumb.jpg

Without opening up old enmities, can you believe that MONS MEG as a P2 ended up like this? My personal opinion (well known) is that it would be difficult to imagine how anyone could make an uglier (and less-effective, in the long run) conversion from such a sleek giant, into this. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 10

Tony

Very interesting to see the two 'Mons Megs' at the same angle to allow a direct comparison. From the previous set of pictures, who is the builder of the Great Bear and the De Glehn compound? Both look stunning

David

Tony

Very interesting to see the two 'Mons Megs' at the same angle to allow a direct comparison. From the previous set of pictures, who is the builder of the Great Bear and the De Glehn compound? Both look stunning

David

David,

A chap called Les from the Crawley club. 

• RMweb Premium

So much beautiful craftsmanship here but the Panniers and that 38xx are simply stunning.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifCastle.jpg

Nice to see The Great Bear on BR Mk 1 coaches!

A further reminder that I still haven't fitted speed recorder brackets etc to my P2s......

And, Graeme, the P2 in the picture has got a red-backed nameplate. 

Eric didn't know whether this was right or wrong. I'm not sure, as you have demonstrated. 

Does anyone have MONS MEG on Grantham? If not, I'm sure we can give her a run at Ally Pally in a fortnight. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And, Graeme, the P2 in the picture has got a red-backed nameplate. 

Eric didn't know whether this was right or wrong. I'm not sure, as you have demonstrated. 

Does anyone have MONS MEG on Grantham? If not, I'm sure we can give her a run at Ally Pally in a fortnight. 

When building this kit I managed to obtain one black and white photograph of Mons Meg, a rear three quarter view and could not decipher the nameplate colour. I chose Mons Meg as it was a Haymarket loco.

In those distant days there were not many photographs available and I recall Real Photographs having lists but there was not much of a variety showing different views of locos for detailing models let alone photographs of every member of any class. Add in to that, a sparsity of books/magazines featuring a great number of photographs and of course - no Internet!

The P2 was built when it was released in either 1973 or 74 and has not yet been run in as I did not have a layout. As Tony has written it is lined with Kingsprint which I used before Kemco appeared and has been brush painted with either Humbrol or Precision paints. I cannot recall when Precision came on the market. I hasten to add that I am not becoming forgetful! it is just so long ago to recount every last detail especially in the 70s when an amazing number of kits were being produced for the Scottish Region.

As it is outwith my modelling period by a few decades it has been stored in a box with other stuff from the 60s/70s most of which has been disposed of over the years. It was out for a spin round the layout a month ago after I came across this box when looking for something else.