Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I have to say one of my favourite pieces of railway sound is the early scene in Get Carter.  But there is hardly any railway sound, I hear you say.

Yes, but Roy Budd's theme music is gloriously menacing and in my head, I can hear the big Sulzer* singing away behind the camera.

*Contrary to popular belief, it's not filmed from a Deltic (although the train does pass one) because you'd see the nose in front of the camera; it's filmed on board a 47.

I think the opening scenes of the ECML are excellent-Carter's hit man nemesis is in the same compartment, reading a newspaper (Did you spot that?).  However, I could not place one of the stations that the train went through before Newcastle-can anyone list all the film locations on the line?

• Like 1

Further to the recent discussion of fish trains on here, yesterday I was shown a copy of a 1940s LNER goods WTT covering more fish trains out of Grimsby than have been mentioned on here. An intriguing destination, evidently well out of the Grimsby area and not immediately meaningful to me or to the individual who had the WTT, was "East Goods".

Where is, or was "East Goods"?

G'day Folks

East Goods yard was just after Finsbury Park, on the Up side, about 2 miles from Kings Cross, a lot of the trains arriving there, were split for the Southern Railway, 'Northern Heights', and the GE.

manna (aka Terry)

Tony,

"Yes" - you have asked this question before & "Yes" I have one too & replied to that effect with a photo a few pages back.

William

Thanks William,

My memory isn't what it was!

That's still not many LRM K2s, though. I know the old Nu-Cast K2 has been available a lot longer, but I must have seen about 40 on my travels, and I've sold at least half a dozen on behalf of bereaved families in the last few years. 

I think the general perception is that etched loco kits are more difficult to build, especially where metal-forming is required. Though things like the boilers are rolled on the LRM loco kits I've built - D2, D3 (building), K2, J6 (x2) - footplates have to be formed, as do cabs, smokeboxes and wrappers have to be rolled and tenders have to be bent to shape and quite complex curves formed; tricky at times. That they make 'crisper' kits, there's no doubt, and are, in many cases (other than scratch-building), the only way to get a loco (those I've just described). They do, of course, have to be soldered (despite 'daft' suggestions, in my opinion, seen in the media and instructions at times, that etched brass/nickel silver kits can be successfully glued together). LRM loco kits are certainly very good with regard to accuracy and fit, but do the requirements I've listed above put folk off? 

My preference will always be for the (later) DJH-type, mixed media kits, where things like smokeboxes/boilers/fireboxes are cast and 'thin' things like cabs and tender sides are etched. That reminds me; I must get on today on completing two more A2/2s!

Regards,

Tony. 

I think the opening scenes of the ECML are excellent-Carter's hit man nemesis is in the same compartment, reading a newspaper (Did you spot that?).  However, I could not place one of the stations that the train went through before Newcastle-can anyone list all the film locations on the line?

As far as I can tell they are Ganwick, between the tunnels at Welwyn, Biggleswade, near St. Neots, underneath the old A1 at Grantham and Peascliffe.

I cannot identify which the station (closed?) is through which the southbound Deltic passes (Holme?) and are the dusk shots more in the London area than the NE?

A great sequence starting a great film. 

• RMweb Premium

I agree with the Greyhound as being the most attractive 4-4-0, but wasn't the Castle class started by David Jones and completed by Peter Drummond?

Bill

The Highland Castles (the only true Castles!) were a Drummond update of the Jones Goods, now who really knows at what point Jones had got to before Drummond too over? And then you also have to wonder how much the NBL Co had in the design as they constructed them... The end results again spoke for themselves, a powerful, free steaming loco that dealt well with the hardest main line in the country...

Andy G

Archers rivets have been mentioned up thread. I purchased a starter pack some time back to see how they would work detailing the metal end platforms of an LNER Toad D. Encouraged by the results, I incorporated them in a major titivation of a white metal locomotive kit recently under construction. A rather tedious process at times, especially were individual rivets had to be applied in straight lines to keep in step with the reference material. Having applied undercoat this evening, I find myself rather pleased with the results, what a great little product.

Andrew

Please tell me more about Archers rivets. I presume you got them from the company in the US. What size did you get? I have a distinctive need for applying rivets to several models but always shy away from just using squares of micro strip which is what some people seem to use. I tried it not long ago when building a fitted 10' w b LNER Cattle wagon from the Parkside kit and thought they looked enormous. 

Andrew Emmett

...a question of needs must at the time...

...'making' things will always take precedence over other methods, despite the time and cost imperatives. If nothing else, I hope this thread encourages that approach...

...Your solution to arriving at what you want is elegant and pragmatic...

Good morning Tony,

I'm not averse to making things; it's just that I have to weigh the various competing considerations. For instance, my track plan requires a yard-long twin track trestle bridge. I'm not aware of a ready-to-plant option (and if there were such a thing, it would cost a couple of hundred pounds, I'm sure); I'm not aware of a suitable kit; so building from scratch is the next and most sensible option. Roll up sleeves, rock up to B&Q, spend several hours patiently cutting, gluing and painting wood, and at the end of it, get what it is that you need. 

The section of baseboard upon which it will sit will carry no fewer than 7 tracks on bridges at 3 different levels. The low-level trestle is scratchbuilt; the high-level T-section viaduct is a laser-cut MDF kit. The 4 mid-level mainline tracks also require bridges (probably 3: down slow; down & up fast; up slow), which, because of their height (8" above baseboard level), may or may not be facilitated with kits. I'm investigating various options (European H0 manufacturers like Kibri seem to offer real possibilities). 

I'm not averse to kits, nor am I wedded to rtr/rtp: I will take your reference to pragmatism as a high compliment!

Regards,

Gavin

post-9375-0-70986900-1523694035_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hello Gentlemen,

Apologies for butting in, but I have a request for information....

I recall seeing a picture that clearly depicts the rear of the Silver Jubilee formation as it was in pre-war condition. The picture is taken with the train heading away, but it shows very nicely the detail on the end of the carriage.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can't for the life of me remember where I have seen it, despite checking all my books.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gentlemen,

Apologies for butting in, but I have a request for information....

I recall seeing a picture that clearly depicts the rear of the Silver Jubilee formation as it was in pre-war condition. The picture is taken with the train heading away, but it shows very nicely the detail on the end of the carriage.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can't for the life of me remember where I have seen it, despite checking all my books.

Any use? 

Going by the recessed front coupling it's when the loco was new?

Any use? 

Thanks for posting that.

It's September 27th 1935, on the press run. The loco (SILVER LINK) does have the recessed front coupling and the train is just seven cars-long. 

No other steam loco has travelled at over a hundred mph for so long, nor averaged one hundred mph for so long as on that trip. 

It's a travesty that this (second most-famous?) A4 was not preserved. We'd also have kept an original 1935 streamlined corridor tender if she had been. 

Regards,

Tony.  

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely agree. One of the pioneers should have been saved - although we are lucky that 6 were considering the number of other big 4 company survivors.

I know Tom is making a great job of of the model - very much an inspiration.

Good morning Tony,

I'm not averse to making things; it's just that I have to weigh the various competing considerations. For instance, my track plan requires a yard-long twin track trestle bridge. I'm not aware of a ready-to-plant option (and if there were such a thing, it would cost a couple of hundred pounds, I'm sure); I'm not aware of a suitable kit; so building from scratch is the next and most sensible option. Roll up sleeves, rock up to B&Q, spend several hours patiently cutting, gluing and painting wood, and at the end of it, get what it is that you need. 

The section of baseboard upon which it will sit will carry no fewer than 7 tracks on bridges at 3 different levels. The low-level trestle is scratchbuilt; the high-level T-section viaduct is a laser-cut MDF kit. The 4 mid-level mainline tracks also require bridges (probably 3: down slow; down & up fast; up slow), which, because of their height (8" above baseboard level), may or may not be facilitated with kits. I'm investigating various options (European H0 manufacturers like Kibri seem to offer real possibilities). 

I'm not averse to kits, nor am I wedded to rtr/rtp: I will take your reference to pragmatism as a high compliment!

Regards,

Gavin

attachicon.gifLMR J94 Passenger Service #3.JPG

Good morning Gavin,

And it is a good morning, too, at least here in sunny Lincolnshire.

I take my hat off to you building those bridges. I don't think I would (not that I need to, sort of), nor could.

The 'sort of' is in reference to the MR/M&GNR bridge on LB, which is, at best, right now, a fudge. 

Some chap in Australia reckoned he could 3D-print or laser-cut the thing, because I have copies of the original drawings, but he seems to have disappeared. My younger son now has them and he's taking a look (he knows all about new technologies). 

To scratch-build the structure in brass section would take me more years than I probably have left on this planet. Mike Edge might consider doing some etches for it, so we'll have to see. 

In an 'attack' of chequebook modelling, I did once consider paying the likes of Peter Leyland or Geoff Taylor to make it. However, parsimony and a conflict of ethos mean I won't follow that route, though the result would have been superb. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As far as I can tell they are Ganwick, between the tunnels at Welwyn, Biggleswade, near St. Neots, underneath the old A1 at Grantham and Peascliffe.

I cannot identify which the station (closed?) is through which the southbound Deltic passes (Holme?) and are the dusk shots more in the London area than the NE?

A great sequence starting a great film. 

Hello Tony

The smaller of the two power stations, the one the train passes just before Michael Cain goes for lunch is Little Barford.

• Like 2

Andrew

Please tell me more about Archers rivets. I presume you got them from the company in the US. What size did you get? I have a distinctive need for applying rivets to several models but always shy away from just using squares of micro strip which is what some people seem to use. I tried it not long ago when building a fitted 10' w b LNER Cattle wagon from the Parkside kit and thought they looked enormous. 

Andrew Emmett

Andrew,

I used sheet AR88087, the HO-scale starter set. It provides examples of four different rivet spreads from individual sheets. I used  three of the types on the locomotive above as well as making up my own runs by cutting out individual rivets. The rivets came from Dragon Models directly from the US.

post-26757-0-90112000-1523699794_thumb.jpg

Any use? 

Yes! That's exactly what I remember. Just wanted to get the lamp brackets in the right place and the top rail detail correct as this will be very visible on the model.

Many thanks.

PS I very much like archer rivets. Though I do not like to count them, if they are prominent and I file them off by mistake it is good to replace them. 

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 1

I confess to rivet counting on the cab side sheets as they are handed, reflecting the position of the reverser etc on the drivers side. In contrast the smokebox was done with rivet runs directly off the sheet.

post-26757-0-30822500-1523704741_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Andrew,

I used sheet AR88087, the HO-scale starter set. It provides examples of four different rivet spreads from individual sheets. I used  three of the types on the locomotive above as well as making up my own runs by cutting out individual rivets. The rivets came from Dragon Models directly from the US.

I confess to rivet counting on the cab side sheets as they are handed, reflecting the position of the reverser etc on the drivers side. In contrast the smokebox was done with rivet runs directly off the sheet.

Thanks Andrew

I think they could be most useful, especially for adding rivets to the front frames of a Bachmann O4, although I suppose they're actually bolt heads in this case! Or in your case an O4/8, one of which I have to build in the near future. I'm currently finishing off my second O4/3 conversion from a Bachmann WR ROD - the most suited starting point for a former ROD engine as it has the correct cab roof and the correct wide section for the footplate.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew

I think they could be most useful, especially for adding rivets to the front frames of a Bachmann O4, although I suppose they're actually bolt heads in this case! Or in your case an O4/8, one of which I have to build in the near future. I'm currently finishing off my second O4/3 conversion from a Bachmann WR ROD - the most suited starting point for a former ROD engine as it has the correct cab roof and the correct wide section for the footplate.

Andrew

Andrew,

I was intending to bulk up the bolts on the front frame extensions by adding a drop of glue over the rivets, I'm now having a rethink and will probably drill them out and insert brass rod of a better size.

With regard to the Bachmann O4, I have successfully altered the the platform arrangement in the past, it was not actually as difficult a job as I first thought it would be. Just a matter of filing away part of the valance under the running board and then re shaping the platform to suit. A replacement  bit of valance, with new curve conforming to the new platform arrangement, was then added and blended in. The little engines kit for the O4/8 was correct in this respect but required an extension piece in the running board forwards of the cylinders as it was slightly short, the cab side sheets required an extension forwards and about 2mm had to come off the length of the firebox. In contrast, when fiddling with the Bachmann O4 I seem to recall that the pony truck was set further forwards and the cylinders set slightly further back than they should have been to accommodate tight radius curves. I also had to decide if it would be an O4/1 or an O4/3, as it had features of both! .

Andrew,

I was intending to bulk up the bolts on the front frame extensions by adding a drop of glue over the rivets, I'm now having a rethink and will probably drill them out and insert brass rod of a better size.

With regard to the Bachmann O4, I have successfully altered the the platform arrangement in the past, it was not actually as difficult a job as I first thought it would be. Just a matter of filing away part of the valance under the running board and then re shaping the platform to suit. A replacement  bit of valance, with new curve conforming to the new platform arrangement, was then added and blended in. The little engines kit for the O4/8 was correct in this respect but required an extension piece in the running board forwards of the cylinders as it was slightly short, the cab side sheets required an extension forwards and about 2mm had to come off the length of the firebox. In contrast, when fiddling with the Bachmann O4 I seem to recall that the pony truck was set further forwards and the cylinders set slightly further back than they should have been to accommodate tight radius curves. I also had to decide if it would be an O4/1 or an O4/3, as it had features of both! .

Archer also do bolt head sheets as well as rivets.

• RMweb Premium

What a strange colour... Hogwart's Express Orange?

West coast "Deltics"

Double headed D400'ers passing my house ten minutes ago, southbound at Rylands Sidings Wigan. Crap place for photography these days, but sun was out (just). and I pressed the shutter a little late. Heard them thundering up the bank this morning, they were slowing for the Wigan stop here.

Brought back memories of the late 60's / early 70's.

post-6884-0-33063100-1523728556_thumb.jpg

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 9