RMweb

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, Daniel W said:

It was good to see you again on Saturday, Tony. Thank you for taking a look at my kit built Locos. I was happy with the feedback I got: "Your craftsmanship is good, but your pick-ups are rubbish."

Now that I have a couple of Saddle Tank kits to build next, I would like some advice on the subject of rolling boilers and saddle tanks. Will the mouse-mat and broomstick method suffice, or is it worth investing in some rolling bars (if any can be found)?

Good afternoon Daniel,

Good to see you, too. 

Your pick-ups were 'rubbish'; note how much better your wee 0-6-0T ran after I'd substituted nickel silver wire for the phosphor bronze 'spaghetti' you'd installed. 

Your basic building was really encouraging - great, a younger modeller actually making thing; how refreshing.

Rolling boilers/tanks? I honestly couldn't do the job myself without rolling bars; not much help, I'm afraid, other than to invite you down here and we'll roll them together. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Good afternoon Tony,

I also make most of those substitutions with Isinglass kits. But I’m surprised you feel the need to replace the torpedo vents. I think the Isinglass ones are nicely produced. If you have a pair of Hornby bogies with the original clips on top they clip directly into the ‘polo mint’ bit supplied by Isinglass which saves some time. I also use the Isinglass battery boxes as I think they’re well printed but I can see why you’d want the weight down there.

Decals are in the post.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

That's very kind of you. 

I always use cast metal ventilators - I suppose a 'prejudice' from Kirk days, where the plastic ones were hopeless.

I dislike clip-fit bogies. Removing Hornby's Gresleys usually results in the removal of any steps as well (even with a small screwdrivers as a lever). I always substitute a 6BA nut and bolt.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

On 07/03/2022 at 16:54, Tony Wright said:

I have a question, and I have really no idea as to the answer. 

On some of the Coronation drawings, a 'casing' is shown, completely covering all the underframe detail (with the exception of the dynamo). It's a kind of  'bath' shape, but with a flat base and 'tamba' ends, which fits between the skirts, but is shorter by at least a foot at both ends than the skirts. 

Strange but apparently true. It appears to have only been applied to the Restaurant Twins.

There is a photo in The London North Eastern Railway In Focus by John Crawley on page 53 showing Articulated "Coronation" coach No 1725 attributed to L Hanson. It is not apparent from that reproduction however examining a photographic version of the image the internal casing can be seen behind the LNER 10'0" Bogie.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

10 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

Strange but apparently true. It appears to have only been applied to the Restaurant Twins.

There is a photo in The London North Eastern Railway In Focus by John Crawley on page 53 showing Articulated "Coronation" coach No 1725 attributed to L Hanson. It is not apparent from that reproduction however examining a photographic version of the image the internal casing can be seen behind the LNER 10'0" Bogie.

Thanks Mike,

If Hornby fits the 'bath' to the Restaurant Twins, it'll be the first time (in my experience) that a model has ever carried this detail. All the others I've seen (Mailcoach, D&S and Golden Age, plus another - Marc Models?) have the underframe gubbins visible (when turned upside down). 

Obviously, in BR days it was removed at the same time as the skirting. 

Regards,

Tony. 

11 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

I don't have access to the drawings or photos that you are referring to, but I have always understood that the underframe details looked different due to the pressure ventilation system used on these coaches.

PS I remember from when I helped out at Lochty in the 70's that the underframe on the OBS  was different with large trunking.  Unfortunatly I did not take any photos.

Norman.

Edited by Shed Driver
Aditional info
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Shed Driver said:

I don't have access to the drawings or photos that you are referring to, but I have always understood that the underframe details looked different due to the pressure ventilation system used on these coaches.

PS I remember from when I helped out at Lochty in the 70's that the underframe on the OBS  was different with large trunking.  Unfortunatly I did not take any photos.

Norman.

All Coronation carriages were pressure ventilated so it does not explain why this "bath" (as Tony calls it) was only present on both carriages of the Restaurant Twins. It makes sense from a streamlining point of view but why not all carriages?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MikeTrice said:

All Coronation carriages were pressure ventilated so it does not explain why this "bath" (as Tony calls it) was only present on both carriages of the Restaurant Twins. It makes sense from a streamlining point of view but why not all carriages?

Perhaps the baths were designed for and fitted initially, but left off for easier maintenance access?

7 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

Good afternoon Mike,

'Bath' might be a poor description, but it seems to be a complete cover for all the equipment underneath the Kitchen Twins (with the exception of the dynamos). 

Why not all the cars, indeed.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps, and only a guess, something fitted under just those cars. Did those twins include a kitchen?  If yes perhaps it was used only with the kitchen fittings/equipment, and therefore the only under gubbins in the whole rake needing such extra protection. As just one possible example of such - were they using gas fed cookers with under-slung gas storage tanks so those were needing protection against both punctures, ash pan droppings and sparks?

Edit - just remembered they were electric kitchens so not that , but the point remains - was there something they had others didn't?

Edited by john new
Extra info added.
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/03/2022 at 17:05, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andy,

That's very kind of you. 

I always use cast metal ventilators - I suppose a 'prejudice' from Kirk days, where the plastic ones were hopeless.

I dislike clip-fit bogies. Removing Hornby's Gresleys usually results in the removal of any steps as well (even with a small screwdrivers as a lever). I always substitute a 6BA nut and bolt.

Regards,

Tony. 

When removing Hornby bogies, I find it safer to use a bigger screwdriver as a lever. My weapon of choice is a traditional-style carpenter's tool with a blade width of about a quarter inch and widening back towards the shaft.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Every now and then, friends bring something along really interesting..........

How about these?

84691253_Highland0-6-0T.jpg.cd3510c2b4841ac14e030af09db71d71.jpg

1532209187_Highland0-6-4T.jpg.05949b85eea7c9b372f8f1b61456b86b.jpg

1518825435_HighlandCastle.jpg.d7ef5276efa81b7ea1fbcf90dd067013.jpg

All Andy Greening's work. Perhaps he'll explain exactly what they are.

All ran well on Little Bytham, though two are wired opposite polarity.

I helped Andy erect a set of Jidenco frames during the morning. I think they're nice and square, but knowing the kits.............

Thanks for your most-generous donation, Andy.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

'Booting' Andy out shortly after lunch, I then got on with the Isinglass TPO............

1992685723_IsinglassTPO07.jpg.218120b00f8d9d863aa4556113a05f03.jpg

A nice mix of fittings for the underframe.

It shouldn't take long to complete now. 

Thanks Andy (The Green Howard); the transfers arrived today. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

'Booting' Andy out shortly after lunch, I then got on with the Isinglass TPO............

1992685723_IsinglassTPO07.jpg.218120b00f8d9d863aa4556113a05f03.jpg

A nice mix of fittings for the underframe.

It shouldn't take long to complete now. 

Thanks Andy (The Green Howard); the transfers arrived today. 

Evening Tony,

Looking good - they do go together quickly don’t they! I think you’ll find that the ‘polo mints ‘ need cutting off the thin strands they’re attached to and gluing into the holes in the chassis.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the bath tubs - I have no idea where I saw it, or if I made it up, but wasn't there some under-floor wine storage in some LNER catering vehicles? Perhaps similar was used on the Coronation sets?

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Regarding the bath tubs - I have no idea where I saw it, or if I made it up, but wasn't there some under-floor wine storage in some LNER catering vehicles? Perhaps similar was used on the Coronation sets?

But wouldn't it slosh about too much?

• Funny 5

16 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Evening Tony,

Looking good - they do go together quickly don’t they! I think you’ll find that the ‘polo mints ‘ need cutting off the thin strands they’re attached to and gluing into the holes in the chassis.

Andy

Good afternoon Andy,

Many thanks.

What I've done is to file down the bolster on the Hornby bogie to give the correct ride height, leaving the 'Polo mints' as they are. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I remember, years ago, finding some Hornby bogies to be moulded in a tough plastic that is very resistant to filing. The teeth of the file would cut into it if enough force / pressure was applied, but a lot of the filings tended to hang on to the bogie by remaining little shreds of tough plastic rather than falling away onto the bench or into the bin. 

Filing the under-floor mounting bosses on a normal moulded styrene-type body was miles easier.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

I remember, years ago, finding some Hornby bogies to be moulded in a tough plastic that is very resistant to filing. The teeth of the file would cut into it if enough force / pressure was applied, but a lot of the filings tended to hang on to the bogie by remaining little shreds of tough plastic rather than falling away onto the bench or into the bin. 

Filing the under-floor mounting bosses on a normal moulded styrene-type body was miles easier.

I might well have done better by doing what's suggested by Andy (the Green Howard), but the 6BA screws are securely Araldited in place now, along with the 'Polos'. 

The Hornby bogies are hard plastic, indeed. The easiest way I found to reduce the bogies' bolsters' height was to you a Swan Moreton curved blade in a scraping motion. This really shifts the plastic, and any final tidying up can then be achieved by files. 

It looks like I've still got a bit more to remove..........

1175399219_IsinglassTPO11.jpg.ef6ebd983011335d5a6f054bc6836a75.jpg

Even though the buffers line up with my other stock.

The conduit running along the solebar on this side was made using 30Amp fusewire, superglued in place. 

I have to say, it rides beautifully, particularly after I glued a strip of lead to the interior floor. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I might well have done better by doing what's suggested by Andy (the Green Howard), but the 6BA screws are securely Araldited in place now, along with the 'Polos'. 

The Hornby bogies are hard plastic, indeed. The easiest way I found to reduce the bogies' bolsters' height was to you a Swan Moreton curved blade in a scraping motion. This really shifts the plastic, and any final tidying up can then be achieved by files. 

It looks like I've still got a bit more to remove..........

1175399219_IsinglassTPO11.jpg.ef6ebd983011335d5a6f054bc6836a75.jpg

Even though the buffers line up with my other stock.

The conduit running along the solebar on this side was made using 30Amp fusewire, superglued in place. 

I have to say, it rides beautifully, particularly after I glued a strip of lead to the interior floor. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Does it sit a bit higher at one end Tony? In the photo, the whole rim on the wheels in the L.H. bogie is visible under the solebar. On the R.H. bogie, the rim looks to go up behind the solebar. On LNER carriages, the top of the wheel rim should not be visible when viewing side on as it should be up behind the solebar. The RH end looks much better in that respect.

There does appear to be a rather large gap between the bottom of the solebar and the top of the bogie. I have seen this on many LNER models and it rather spoils the look for me. I wonder if the sideframes of the bogie are too low? It doesn't look as if the axles are in line with the axleboxes as they should be. It could be that removing more material to get the body to sit down further might just be altering the wrong components.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Does it sit a bit higher at one end Tony? In the photo, the whole rim on the wheels in the L.H. bogie is visible under the solebar. On the R.H. bogie, the rim looks to go up behind the solebar. On LNER carriages, the top of the wheel rim should not be visible when viewing side on as it should be up behind the solebar. The RH end looks much better in that respect.

There does appear to be a rather large gap between the bottom of the solebar and the top of the bogie. I have seen this on many LNER models and it rather spoils the look for me. I wonder if the sideframes of the bogie are too low? It doesn't look as if the axles are in line with the axleboxes as they should be. It could be that removing more material to get the body to sit down further might just be altering the wrong components.

Thanks Tony,

The camera and all that.

Now it's painted, any discrepancy isn't so noticeable. I might, however, substitute MJT bogies.

Regards,

Tony.