Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

6 minutes ago, MikeTrice said:

I believe acetone softens epoxy. Would that have helped?

I don't know Mike, but thanks.

I know Nitromors destroys epoxy's bond - and just about everything else!

The problem is, how would any solvent be applied? I'd have to have stripped the chassis (the pick-up pads are Araldited in place) and then probably have to repaint it as well.

Thank goodness the bond eventually gave.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I know Nitromors destroys epoxy's bond - and just about everything else!

Does the newer Nitromors have the same effect I wonder?  Certainly in my experience the newer paint strippers are nowhere near as effective on paint as they used to be in my youth.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On a tentative note, given my expressed opinion that one can overdo things, I couldn't resist a picture of a V2 bringing goods by fast freight to London, 1958 style.... especially since I have recently bought an RTR Bachmann TMC-weathered V2 60845...

All done on the principle 'less is more'. Perhaps no smoke at all on a warm day, but the usual excuses apply, making up time, keen driver, strong engine, a V2 at speed really was a beautiful machine, especially with a substantial load.

60847_V2_2abcd_r2080a.jpg..jpg.6b49198f8460b4f74ec24375f267b816.jpg

Thankyou Tony for the opportunity to mess around with your photo.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

16 minutes ago, polybear said:

Does the newer Nitromors have the same effect I wonder?  Certainly in my experience the newer paint strippers are nowhere near as effective on paint as they used to be in my youth.

30 years ago we were supplied with "Environmentally friendly" cleaning chemicals for the Engine Room. The supplier's rep who rocked up a month or so later to get feedback wasn't a happy chappie when I told him that they were utter $h1te & a waste of time & money...

Mark

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

A couple of points about 'securing' motors.

I usually fix mine by means of a lazy 'Z' piece of .45 brass or nickel silver wire, either soldered to one motor brush to return current, attached to the frames or fixed to the gearbox and frames. This gives some flexibility without letting the motor bounce up and down under load. 

The Araldited-in motor was really rigid (hence its failing?). 

I know Alan Gibson used to suggest fixing motors into frames with bathroom silicone sealant. Apparently it deadened noise. I never used it.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, robmcg said:

On a tentative note, given my expressed opinion that one can overdo things, I couldn't resist a picture of a V2 bringing goods by fast freight to London, 1958 style.... especially since I have recently bought an RTR Bachmann TMC-weathered V2 60845...

All done on the principle 'less is more'. Perhaps no smoke at all on a warm day, but the usual excuses apply, making up time, keen driver, strong engine, a V2 at speed really was a beautiful machine, especially with a substantial load.

60847_V2_2abcd_r2080a.jpg..jpg.6b49198f8460b4f74ec24375f267b816.jpg

Thankyou Tony for the opportunity to mess around with your photo.

Exciting!

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Concur, we had a big domestic decorating job involving a lot of paint stripping last year, all the modern p/strippers pretty useless.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

May I add to the courier/RM comment above?

For 7 years I worked as technical manager and director of a well known retailer - a box shifter, if you must - using Royal Mail exclusively, sending out often more than a thousand parcels a week.

Losses in 7 years?  3 I can bring to mind, with maybe a dozen arriving damaged.  Service was generally next day too, 99% of the time, which we became noted for (covid killed us). Pretty good I'd say.

An international loss, before we stopped dealing worldwide, was a live steam locomotive sent to Australia.  It turned up a year later, after we had replaced it - and the customer was honest enough to tell us!  A friend of his bought it and sent us the money, a feel-good story.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

I believe silicon sealant for mounting motors was an American idea. I seem to remember the Narrow gauge & Short line Gazette advocated it a lot 20 plus years ago.

Its certainly something I have used historically to anchor the back of Portescap units to allow compensated or sprung axles to move freely in their horn guides.  It is a long time since I had any sealant knocking around the the garage and so I now use Bluetac which seems to work just as well.

Frank

• Informative/Useful 6

6 hours ago, MarkC said:

30 years ago we were supplied with "Environmentally friendly" cleaning chemicals for the Engine Room. The supplier's rep who rocked up a month or so later to get feedback wasn't a happy chappie when I told him that they were utter $h1te & a waste of time & money...

Mark

Bringing back memories of when we changed chemical suppliers and found that the product for cleaning our water generator (Rainmaker) was useless.  We had by that stage returned the previous chemicals ashore. 

Been browsing some oldish MRJ's. In No 170 from 2006, photographs of Maindee East engine Shed taken by Mr Tony Wright, who created such atmosphere that I had to look more than twice, is it the real thing or a model!? Brilliant!, a layout I never saw wish, I had!

1 hour ago, Mike 84C said:

Been browsing some oldish MRJ's. In No 170 from 2006, photographs of Maindee East engine Shed taken by Mr Tony Wright, who created such atmosphere that I had to look more than twice, is it the real thing or a model!? Brilliant!, a layout I never saw wish, I had!

I saw it in the flesh, twice, and it exuded atmosphere.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Assuming Maindee East is just east of Newport (Gwent), was there ever an MPD there?

Tony, I did just two hours ago put your photo of V2 60847 on my Facebook page with this description of you in the caption;

Tony Wright, the accomplished writer, editor, historian, photographer, commentator and brilliant model maker, was kind enough allow me to add smoke to his photo of his Gresley V2 60847 'St Peter's School'

But I had missed out the 'husband, father, cricketer, and philosopher', and am worried I might have neglected important qualities...   readers may wish to add some?

The picture has 82 'likes' after 2 hours, so my readers are I suspect well impressed

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 3

On 18/03/2022 at 19:14, Tony Wright said:

A couple of points about 'securing' motors.

I usually fix mine by means of a lazy 'Z' piece of .45 brass or nickel silver wire, either soldered to one motor brush to return current, attached to the frames or fixed to the gearbox and frames. This gives some flexibility without letting the motor bounce up and down under load. 

The Araldited-in motor was really rigid (hence its failing?). 

I know Alan Gibson used to suggest fixing motors into frames with bathroom silicone sealant. Apparently it deadened noise. I never used it.

I use servo tape (or similar) as used in R/C models. About 1.5mm thick with a foam centre, it holds well and can be easily removed with some white spirit or cigarette lighter fluid.

• Informative/Useful 5

10 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Tony, I did just two hours ago put your photo of V2 60847 on my Facebook page with this description of you in the caption;

Tony Wright, the accomplished writer, editor, historian, photographer, commentator and brilliant model maker, was kind enough allow me to add smoke to his photo of his Gresley V2 60847 'St Peter's School'

But I had miss out the 'husband, father, cricketer, and philosopher', and am worried I might have neglected important qualities...   readers may wish to add some?

The picture has 82 'likes' after 2 hours, so my readers are I suspect well impressed

That's a very generous assessment of me, Robbie,

Though I'd remove 'the accomplished' and 'brilliant'. 

Important 'qualities' missed out? How about argumentative, inflexible, insensitive, self-opinionated, combative, intransigent, blinkered, intractable, intimidating and so on...............?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11

6 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Good evening Mike,

The creator of any atmosphere on Maindee East was the builder (Stefan Lewis?), who's sadly now deceased. 

1350095464_Maindee07shedfrontdetail.jpg.66f3188604343fce77ffb9b0f170e797.jpg

173923961_Maindee15viewdownshedyard.jpg.49097a87af51a7637f4a6d4141106e0a.jpg

I had the privilege of photographing it at a Wells Show in the early part of this century. It featured real smoke, but the device for creating it couldn't be used because it set of the sensitive fire alarms in the ancient Wells Town Hall.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, robmcg said:

But I had miss out the 'husband, father, cricketer, and philosopher', and am worried I might have neglected important qualities...   readers may wish to add some?

I'll add teacher and CRUK fundraiser.....:clapping:

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

A question if I may, having just bought a second-hand Heljan O2 and photographed it, I was mildly perturbed to see that I had neglected to set the rather beautifully-made three-link coupling on the front dangling downwards as it would normally have been. A result of a 12,000 mile journey and my clumsy box-opening.

Were these couplings ever arranged upwards and backwards over the centre lamp stand, or do I need to re-photograph it? I know that in the real word in days gone by some odd things happened.... 

For what it's worth it cost 80 Pounds and runs like a swiss watch.

63952_O2_portrait2_1ab_r2080a.jpg.982ec4589d016662e2a4af30cdfa10db.jpg

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, polybear said:

I'll add teacher and CRUK fundraiser.....

Of course! Why didn't I add that?     There would be little room left for the actual caption, but it's all well deserved.

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think it highly unlikely the front shackle would be positioned onto the footplate. I’ve never seen an image of it on any type, not to mention the significant physical effort it would require to actually get it there by the crew/shunter.

The model has a couple of visible faults, the chimney isn’t well captured, and the near side tender handrails are too short.

6BC21839-BE50-43E9-8224-D425031B9596.jpeg.145371a0213f44d44d64404dd9b6c049.jpeg
Heres my modified version 

• Like 5