Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

20 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Frankly, unless the model is going to spend its life in a showcase, why bother?

On a working loco, viewed from a normal operating distance, the Markits securing nuts are not noticeable when painted black.

CJI.

We all have our own standards to what we will or not accept. My desire was to get my models looking as real as possible and that certainly excluded an unsightly nut in the middle of the wheel, which just shouts Romford in a photo. It could be argued of course, that they won't be noticed when the wheels are going round - that goes for the right or wrong number of spokes too!

I never had a problem digging nuts out, the nut could either be reversed and re-slotted, or I just replace the whole axle - what were  they, a quid back in the day?

Regards

Tony

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Still some more to photograph of the late Paul Bromige's locos, but here's a selection to start with.........

1099897877_3F43231MPDkit.jpg.68033399935a879a098c714ec18a53fc.jpg

Built from an MPD kit, this 3F runs very sweetly. I'm asking £180.00 for it.

54289132_3F52501ex-FurnessD1.jpg.3f4df49ebd0039b976fddaec6c11add9.jpg

Built from an etched brass kit (anyone know which?), this ex L&Y 0-6-0 also runs beautifully. £180.00 for this.

1169228276_Ivatt2-6-2T41225Ks.jpg.6167cd59655298108eb2d7d0c290f1e6.jpg

A very pretty K's 'Mickey Mouse' tank (nothing of K's mechanically), Portescap-powered. Again, £180.00.

1199377065_SD2-8-053804DJH.jpg.646c934eac31f308918099f7d484380d.jpg

A DJH S&D 2-8-0. Built from a DJH kit, visually very smooth but slight gear noise when running. £200.00.

1766148950_Stanier0-4-4T41901.jpg.cb95b19e941b108b7b5af15ff9e4a944.jpg

A very nice 'Stanier' 0-4-4T. Etched brass kit (which?), Portescap-powered, super smooth. £180.00.

Apologies for my not dusting these models before taking their pictures. 

Anyone interested in any of these, please PM me.

More tomorrow, including a wonderful twin-Portescap Beyer Garratt!. 

The ex-MR 3F is beautifully made & weathered, but what stands out is to me is that the central splasher is not centred on the wheel it covers. This must be a fault in the kit, which seems very odd in an otherwise good kit as I recall, because it was the first of the only 2 loco kits I ever built about 45 years ago. It was only when I resurrected it when I took up the hobby again & asked a professional to give it a going over that I saw this fault on its return. Initially I thought that I must have made a mistake building the kit all those years ago, but apparently not? Maybe the original superstructure was intended to go on type of an RTR chassis?

William

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting to see that A2 - if it's the one I think it is I built it in 1977 and was paid the princely sum of £36.30 for it....

That was my first year of earning a living at this, I knew next to nothing about LNER locos and there wasn't much accurate information available either. Nice to see some of it survives though.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Yes - the story of the Proscale V2s, it's nice to see them in your possession Tony. Alan Hammett built three of them at once ( he grumbled about that! ) for Pete Lund, Roy Palmer and myself. Pete might still have his, when Roy went to O gauge I bought his one. The tenders were the early type with the longer cut out at the front, so only suitable for a limited number of locos. I'm trying to remember here - I must have obtained a couple of Bachmann ones somehow and repainted them to match the locos. Which I managed quite successfully . They then went to Gilbert and were renumbered - which I was a bit dismayed at - but it was none of my business!

At some stage I must arrange to come over and see them romping around Bytham.

Regards

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Very interesting to see that A2 - if it's the one I think it is I built it in 1977 and was paid the princely sum of £36.30 for it....

That was my first year of earning a living at this, I knew next to nothing about LNER locos and there wasn't much accurate information available either. Nice to see some of it survives though.

Thanks for that Mike.

1977, that many years ago? 

If you recall, the commission was arranged through a model shop in Leeds (can't remember which one), and you also scratch-built me an A2/2 (which also still survives, but I think Gilbert Barnatt is selling that on).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, dibateg said:

Yes - the story of the Proscale V2s, it's nice to see them in your possession Tony. Alan Hammett built three of them at once ( he grumbled about that! ) for Pete Lund, Roy Palmer and myself. Pete might still have his, when Roy went to O gauge I bought his one. The tenders were the early type with the longer cut out at the front, so only suitable for a limited number of locos. I'm trying to remember here - I must have obtained a couple of Bachmann ones somehow and repainted them to match the locos. Which I managed quite successfully . They then went to Gilbert and were renumbered - which I was a bit dismayed at - but it was none of my business!

At some stage I must arrange to come over and see them romping around Bytham.

Regards

Tony

Sorry Tony, but one of the things I am pedantic about is to have the right identities for locos that would have run regularly through Peterborough North, so they had to be changed. They have given me good service for several years, and I'm pleased that they are now back to being much closer to where they were earlier in their lives.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for that Mike.

1977, that many years ago? 

If you recall, the commission was arranged through a model shop in Leeds (can't remember which one), and you also scratch-built me an A2/2 (which also still survives, but I think Gilbert Barnatt is selling that on).

Regards,

Tony. 

Geoff Appleyard's shop in Leeds, he was getting work for me in the early days, nice to know the A2/2 still survives as well.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Geoff Appleyard's shop in Leeds, he was getting work for me in the early days, nice to know the A2/2 still survives as well.

That's where @Barry O and I saw a flyer in the window for Leeds MRS, which led to us joining in 1976 - and it's been downhill ever since...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

It certainly does Mike, and I shall try to find someone to have it who will appreciate its history and pedigree as Geoff West does with the A2/3. I'm not getting very far at the moment though.

• Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, great northern said:

It certainly does Mike, and I shall try to find someone to have it who will appreciate its history and pedigree as Geoff West does with the A2/3. I'm not getting very far at the moment though.

Good afternoon Gilbert,

If you've not already mentioned it, 60506 was painted by Ian Rathbone. So, its 'pedigree' is; originally scratch-built by Mike Edge in 1976/'77, part rebuilt by Tony Wright a few years later (hence the repainting by IR), seen at shows in the past in action on Fordley Park, Leighford and Stoke Summit, and (via RMweb) on Peterborough North. 

I only have a picture of her on film. Would you mind posting one on here, please? 

Regards,

Tony. 

13 minutes ago, great northern said:

Of course. There wasn't as much light as I'd though there was, but hopefully these will do.

151201677_15061.JPG.c5d68177c29fc80adf5d86703e5e218b.JPG1998005946_25062.JPG.17c983f667217fbdecb1a1d44ee922e7.JPG

Still has a decoder, of course. Something else we have to agree to disagree about. I do wonder if you were bitten by one many years ago, such is your antipathy to them. I think I got all the wheels on track.

Thanks Gilbert,

She (he?) still looks good.

Antipathy to decoders? Have you tried fitting one (or taking one out, as I did yesterday)? Just fine with modern, DCC-ready RTR stuff - is the term 'plug and play', but not so easy with a live-to-one-side, all metal loco built from scratch or from a kit. All that 'serpent's nest' of wiring' - no thank you! Especially, as with one of the V2s yesterday, there are tender pick-ups, with the wires from those also attached to the decoder.

As is probably known now, the loco above is up for sale. If you're interested, please PM Gilbert (Great Northern) on his Peterborough North thread, or me, if you wish. It certainly pre-dates any kit for a Thompson Pacific and pre-dates by decades anything RTR. With a provenance of Edge/Wright/Rathbone, surely someone would like to own it. I'll give 10% of whatever it sells for to CRUK. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think that one must be from 1976, I can't find one in my order books which go back to 1st January 1977. I'm still not sure about the A2/3 either, I've got some records somewhere but they are not on computer files from that far back.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I think that one must be from 1976, I can't find one in my order books which go back to 1st January 1977. I'm still not sure about the A2/3 either, I've got some records somewhere but they are not on computer files from that far back.

That's right Mike,

You built the A2/2 (which has now been sold to a mate) before the A2/3.

I recall driving up to Leeds to collect it. My (widowered - is there such a word?) dad was staying with his sister at the time, near Sheffield, and we went up to see him. He came with us. I collected the model, and we finished the evening off at a Chinese restaurant off The Headrow. I was so pleased with the model you'd made that I put it on the table after we'd eaten, to admire it. Can you believe it's 46 years ago?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Some more of the Paul Bromige locos for sale........... My apologies for not dusting them off before taking their pictures!

All run very well.

2038605491_3FJohnson47231MPD.jpg.2c109705c582913685d493f364a858cc.jpg

A Midland Johnson 3F 0-6-0T from an MPD (?) kit. I'm asking £165 for this.

845049779_Deeley0-4-0T41535Brassmasters.jpg.b09536bc0fe213d9849fd8a072c40b1e.jpg

A Midland Deeley 0-4-0T from a Brassmasters kit. I'm asking £175.00 for this.

329087633_LYPug51218Kitmastermotorised.jpg.59f7ef2f2f105be8de23eff2c0136c89.jpg

A motorised Kitmaster ex-L&Y 'Pug' 0-4-0ST. £120.00 for this.

Now, from the minute to the massive!

1804853084_BeyerGarratt47975Ks01.jpg.8fdc860dbabf5fe9307e6616e7469de4.jpg

2064935592_BeyerGarratt47975Ks02.jpg.3778498a1cc22ff16cfd602a1973ed64.jpg

A superb K's Beyer-Garratt (though nothing mechanically K's), it has a pair of matched Portescaps and will pull anything one might wish to hang behind it (though it needs a minimum of 3' 6" radius curves). £375.00 for this. 

As usual, if interested, please PM me.

More tomorrow.............

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

56 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

The 3F 0-6-0T isn't MPD, K's did a body only kit for this - if it's white metal it may be from this.

All very nice models at very reasonable prices.

Thanks Mike,

I was going on the notes in the boxes of the locos. 

I've priced them to sell, so let's hope...........

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Gilbert,

Antipathy to decoders? Have you tried fitting one (or taking one out, as I did yesterday)? Just fine with modern, DCC-ready RTR stuff - is the term 'plug and play', but not so easy with a live-to-one-side, all metal loco built from scratch or from a kit. All that 'serpent's nest' of wiring' - no thank you! Especially, as with one of the V2s yesterday, there are tender pick-ups, with the wires from those also attached to the decoder.

As is probably known now, the loco above is up for sale. If you're interested, please PM Gilbert (Great Northern) on his Peterborough North thread, or me, if you wish. It certainly pre-dates any kit for a Thompson Pacific and pre-dates by decades anything RTR. With a provenance of Edge/Wright/Rathbone, surely someone would like to own it. I'll give 10% of whatever it sells for to CRUK. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I have fitted DCC to a lot of kit built locos.  Take your time..  the wiring isn't difficult and, if it doesn't "spark" on dc, DCC will be fine. The worst ones are DCC Sound ready which seem to like having the sound in the tender..  just isn't right!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Gilbert,

Regards,

Tony. 

Being the sentimental idiot I am, I’d honestly be interested to have her on a shelf over looking the new generations work…… 

I have sent you an email just now Tony about another loco. Could you, in your reply give me a quote?  I’ll either cry or say yes please. Maybe both! 

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

'serpent's nest' of wiring'

That's something of an exaggeration, Tony. Four instead of one, in your example, and four instead of two if the chassis is not live.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's something of an exaggeration, Tony. Four instead of one, in your example, and four instead of two if the chassis is not live.

Good morning John,

And finding enough space for a (big, old) chip inside an etched brass loco's body? I commend whoever fitted the chips into those Pro-Scale V2s for Gilbert. He (or she) must have struggled to get everything back in, because I struggled to get everything out! With the decoders gone, ah the ease with which the bodies went back on to the frames; just as they would have done when the locos were built.

As I said, no thank you. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1