Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

When an individual at the top of the tree acquires a reputation for being "difficult" among most of his colleagues and subordinates, it is a very short step to his/her professional ability being brought into question.

Whilst it is not necessary to like ones boss in order to have respect for him/her, dreading what one is likely to encounter upon entering the office will, even in the least judgmental of us, eat away at whatever did exist.  

Whatever his talents, Thompson was clearly such a man (possibly for reasons that were not understood in his time) and, with a background of "Gresley worship" amongst the target audience of authors in earlier times, it is easy to see how he would not have been given the benefit of any doubt. 

As for the merits (or shortcomings) of the P2 class, there were very few of them and they were easily kept away from the route that mattered most to their owners. Had there been fifty built, one suspects that any problems would have received more urgent and thorough attention. They clearly suffered from their treatment through WW2 and were not the engines they had been by the time they entered Thompson's "in-tray". We shall hopefully not have too long to wait before we can see for ourselves what a new one can do when well-looked-after.  

Anything LNER tends to be well down my list of interests (I had no real exposure to such things in my formative years) but the final CME of my primary area of interest had much (possibly more than HNG) to do with the hands-on development of the P2s. When Bulleid moved to the Southern and was formulating his ideas for the Merchant Navy Class, his preference was for a 2-8-2 over a Pacific and it is reasonable to assume he would have started from what he knew. Clearly, if he considered there was anything of concern in the P2 design, he had solutions in mind....

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

We shall hopefully not have too long to wait before we can see for ourselves what a new one can do when well-looked-after.  

I doubt that one can infer a great deal about the performance of locomotives over eighty years ago from the performance of a replica built to modern engineering standards and techniques, that will have no opportunity to do the sort of work, under the sort of conditions, that the original engines did. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Hopefully the P2 copy  wont be breaking its Crank Axle like the prototype, a very serious and dangerous flaw.

There is simply no comparison with nearly 90 year old designs and the then  building capabilties, and modern manfacturing , the new P2 replica  is no than a lovely external shape at best.

As to the Thompson sage which has rear its head yet again why ?,  Tony had already said move on. It is a repeat again of what has already been said?  . All reports are done by Humans all have their own opinions , figures can altered , written down incorrectly, peopel simpy lie,  etc etc .

Anyone after Gresley would have to be a magician or a new God  etc etc to have never been criticised on taking the role on .

90 years on we are never going to know, and no books will ever change that fact .

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, davidw said:

Peter C for some reason I can't quote but that job you've do on 60500is excellent. Though personally I'd tone down the lining a little with powders.

This thread really fuels the imagination at times.

Hi David

I do think Peter has got it spot on for and Ex Works paint look.

Having said that I did exactly what you have said in toning down the model as I wanted an Ex works but having been used by applying light weathering.

This I achieved by spraying the locomotive from distance just a dusting using a Rail Match Roof Dirt spray can.

Photo enclosed, hope Tony does not mind me posting.

Regards

David

96BDDB12-4E5C-461A-A5C6-0B6DC49B75C6.jpeg

• Like 18

Guest Simon A.C. Martin

Hi Tony. It’s not a “one man crusade”, with respect.

Esteemed historian Tim Hillier-Graves book actually goes further than mine in terms of the Thompson story, mine focuses on the engineering policy and locomotives during WW2 whereas his looks at the personal side.

I remember Malcolm fondly and he treated me with my questions with far more respect than some others have done over the last ten years of research. I feel strongly he might have still disliked Thompson but he would have been open to an evidence based approach. 

Your last post includes the usual anti-Thompson tropes such as withdrawal dates etc which have been debunked time and time again.

I didn’t write my book for those whose minds are already closed: I wrote it so that those with a serious interest in railway history could look at the very real evidence that is still with us and make their minds up after that. 

I’ll leave it at that but I feel very strongly that it’s typical of railway enthusiasts to prefer myths to facts.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, micklner said:

90 years on we are never going to know, and no books will ever change that fact .

But (re)analysis of the primary evidence does move us on. It is important not to wallow in half-truths, folklore, and nostalgia for what never was. Harmless enough for toy trains, I suppose, but it's a mind-set that leads to poor decisions.

• Agree 10

1 hour ago, micklner said:

As to the Thompson sage which has rear its head yet again why ?,  Tony had already said move on. It is a repeat again of what has already been said?  .

Same with the gearbox conversation…

Hat, coat, gone. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

Guest Simon A.C. Martin
20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But (re)analysis of the primary evidence does move us on. It is important not to wallow in half-truths, folklore, and nostalgia for what never was. Harmless enough for toy trains, I suppose, but it's a mind-set that leads to poor decisions.

The problem is pretty straightforward.

Are we discussing railway history as historians or railway modellers?

If the latter, believe what you want but don’t expect to be taken seriously by the former if you don’t take an academic approach.

If we all approached the subject as historians then there’d be largely more agreement on basic academic factors such as what primary evidence is, why it is important, and what better overall analysis results from analysing it.

• RMweb Gold

Simon

I think you make good and interesting points, but you do come across as something of a zealot, which I think does not help your cause.

And having rather rammed the value of facts over everything else to us all, you write:

Esteemed historian Tim Hillier-Graves (my italics)

I'm sure he's a fine fellow, but your addition of a "value judgment" rather puts me off him I'm afraid.

Thompson was clearly quite a tricky fellow, as many of us are.

But look on the bright side, at least he wasn't accused of any financial irregularity, which was the fate of Douglas Earle Marsh.

Another interesting locomotive engineer from the past, who retired around this part of the World.

His grandson is quite a character too....

An interesting discussion nonetheless, a bit like the debate between proponents of the original versus rebuilt Bulleid Pacifics...

Another Simon

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest Simon A.C. Martin

Hi Simon, 

Tim has personally helped me with some portions of my research and I have a great respect for him. 

Historians who put a lot of effort into their work and research should be recognised accordingly.

Zealot? No, academic. 

How else can I get the point across?

We are not even talking about intricacies of research. We’re talking about a basic recognition that we should be following an evidence based line of approach.

That’s hardly zealotry: it’s basic academia.

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Premium

With regard to official records, whilst a lot of information is recorded, it does not, in many cases, tell the full story. All part of human nature of course.

For example, Peppercorn did visit Edinburgh (no doubt on a few occasions) and on one such visit he was there to insist that the instructions from Thompson, which Haymarket ignored, that their P2s were not to be used on workings south to Newcastle.

A neighbour of my parents worked in management in the B. R.  H. Q. in Waterloo Place and told my father and I this back in the 50s when he was still working there. He was not the type who made things up. In addition, the late Harry Knox whose knowledge of Haymarket was extensive and in addition knew well a great many B. R. management and railwaymen at “the sharp end” confirmed that this visit did take place. Once again Harry was not inclined to make things up either.

Railways are no different from other Organisations, written records only cover so much.

t-b-g is spot on! The B1s were excellent and did all that was asked of them. Better to ignore the A2/1s though!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Is my memory misleading me, or does Peter Townend not explain in Top Shed in some detail and with examples, how depots used to falsify mileage (and therefore availability) records in order to get a dud loco into shops when it was in such a state as to be of little or no use to them?

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

16 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Is my memory misleading me, or does Peter Townend not explain in Top Shed in some detail and with examples, how depots used to falsify mileage (and therefore availability) records in order to get a dud loco into shops when it was in such a state as to be of little or no use to them?

Exactly my point !!.

No one alive now, knows what existing records of anything that has been hand recorded are 100% true.

I suggest a seperate thread on here for Mr Thompson, it would be a very simple idea to follow for everybody who has the interest, or simply click the ignore button at their leisure !!.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2

Well, at least this current resurgence of 'the Thompson Question' hasn't yet reached the levels of unpleasantness of some earlier iterations!

I think I may have to buy a copy of the books being referred to!

I've just tried and failed to locate a statement written by R H N Hardy in his preface to one of the works in my collection. If I may summarise, it was to effect of 'letting Mr Thompson's memory rest quietly, because he did his job!'

May I suggest that in terms of engineering policy, corporate politics, and workshop practice, there are other subjects we might explore.

Gateshead and Mr McDonnell is one of them. Perhaps the importing of swing-link bogies from Inchicore might prove interesting in relation to several British railways?

Then there are developments at Stratford.

Fortunately Mr Wright's thread seems to be predominantly based on the LNER and it's antecedents, other wise we could get trapped into a discussion of Mr Webb's tenure at Crewe, especially in his later years.

Then, of course there is the whole issue of design, workshop and running shed practice in the earlier years of the LMS........

Why would anyone have screwed down (ie shut off) the top feed on a Stanier boiler? (Sorry, can't find the reference at the moment!)

Failing all of those we could revive the whole 'who invented the blastpipe' controversy of the 1860s!

(I've just been  re-reading a good book by Anthony Dawson 'Before Rocket - The steam locomotive before 1829', which I highly recommend.) 

Now - having cut the lawn between showers, there are capping stones to fit on the retaining walls on the incline to my coaling stage, and I really must start construction of a very challenging and  interesting engine indeed!

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Simon A.C. Martin said:

Hi Tony. It’s not a “one man crusade”, with respect.

Esteemed historian Tim Hillier-Graves book actually goes further than mine in terms of the Thompson story, mine focuses on the engineering policy and locomotives during WW2 whereas his looks at the personal side.

I remember Malcolm fondly and he treated me with my questions with far more respect than some others have done over the last ten years of research. I feel strongly he might have still disliked Thompson but he would have been open to an evidence based approach. 

Your last post includes the usual anti-Thompson tropes such as withdrawal dates etc which have been debunked time and time again.

I didn’t write my book for those whose minds are already closed: I wrote it so that those with a serious interest in railway history could look at the very real evidence that is still with us and make their minds up after that. 

I’ll leave it at that but I feel very strongly that it’s typical of railway enthusiasts to prefer myths to facts.

Malcolm was not one for changing his mind or for being wrong. On anything. Ever!

I remember him soldering a dome onto a loco that ended up not quite square and straight.

His response? "I don't know what's up with this xxxxxx solder but it has moved after it set. I soldered it on straight but it isn't straight now."

If you think he was open to being persuaded to change his mind, then you didn't know him well enough. I tried for upwards of 30 years on and off and eventually gave up. I developed techniques of suggesting things to him in such a way that he could claim them as his own ideas. It was a wonderful game of cat and mouse that we both played with great enjoyment. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Guest Simon A.C. Martin
11 hours ago, jwealleans said:

If that’s the case, please feel free to cite that.

If we are suggesting that the internal document on mileages and availability falsified the A2/2s doing well and the P2s badly, then that claim should be backed up with some concrete evidence that this practice was both widespread and can be evidenced as such.

However, I already know the answer to this: it wasn’t widespread, it certainly wasn’t the case in WW2, and if it was only true of the Thompson Pacifics and not everything else, that reflects terribly on the LNER as a railway company.

16 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I doubt that one can infer a great deal about the performance of locomotives over eighty years ago from the performance of a replica built to modern engineering standards and techniques, that will have no opportunity to do the sort of work, under the sort of conditions, that the original engines did. 

How true.  I see that the chassis for the P2 and also the B17 will have Cannon axleboxes fitted-miles ahead of the original arrangement.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Malcolm was not one for changing his mind or for being wrong. On anything. Ever!

Having known and worked with Malcolm, I would say that he epitomised the old saying "You can always tell a Yorkshireman - but you can't tell him much".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Iain.d said:

It seems an age since I last showed any progress on an LMS D1966 Articulated TO+TO, that I started in early May; I’m not sure really why, although at times I have struggled to find the enthusiasm after a long day at work. And of course, like everyone else, there’s ‘normal’ life to do also.

The first photo is from the other day showing the main chassis and interior parts, it’ll be a slow plod painting the tables!

And then the main body and roof parts. On this build, although there’s nothing any more complex on this set than other LMS coaches, the alarm gear and filler pipes shown here are the best of multiple goes at bending wire, drilling flattened pin heads and creating securing tags. At times it seemed like my fingers wouldn’t work and the amount of stuff I dropped on the carpet, only to be found by the vacuum, is nobody’s business!

But all together it seems to look okay.  I have to work out a method of coupling the two carriages together. I was going to simply solder a bolt from the top of the upper coupling tab, down. But the tab hits the whitemetal casting of the adjacent carriage, before the bolt can enter the hole in the lower tab and then through hole in the bogie. Maybe something from the bogie, coming up, will work.

I never cease to be amazed at the number of little bits and pieces I make as sub-assemblies, particularly on the ends.  I will attach the electrical cables next…I forgot until seeing the photo…and clean the roof and add roof ribs from thin tape.  I will try and get at least the primer on this week.

Not much else will done until August as I’m away with work for three weeks, from next weekend, driving up to the very north east of Western Australia (flying back), about as far away from modelling trains as is possible!

Kind regards,

Iain

Looking good, Ian!  You might be interested to see how I arranged the middle coupling for an LNER articulated pair.  The two brackets are attached by bolts under the coach floor (in case they needed to be adjusted for length); the lower one has a spacer of the same material above it, and a hole tapped 8BA.  The other one just has a plain hole, 8BA clearance.  The pivot bolt is an 8BA bolt with a spacer made from two thicknesses of tube and a washer passed over it; it screws into the lower bracket on one coach so the bogie is attached to that coach, and the bracket on the other coach just sits on the top of the bolt.  The bolt was later shortened a bit so that it clears the gangway.

P1020323.thumb.jpeg.4b932d85cb18c5f58e3469c9bbdc8474.jpeg

P1020325.thumb.jpeg.359b6b4bba0d560bc724f2ad8cc56c09.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3